Author Topic: Civilian "predator drones" being built in L.I??  (Read 1549 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Civilian "predator drones" being built in L.I??
« on: August 22, 2008, 11:40:00 AM »
http://www.wnbc.com/news/17266645/detail.html
Predator Drone On L.I. Sparks Terror Investigation
Investigators said the drone was being designed to carry 600 pounds of explosives

POSTED: 1:36 pm EDT August 22, 2008
UPDATED: 4:09 pm EDT August 22, 2008

NEW YORK -- By Jonathan Dienst

A predator drone being built by an engineer on Long Island sparked a large counter-terrorism investigation across the New York area, officials tell WNBC.com. Police said they had stumbled upon overnight testing of the drone at a little-used airstrip in Calverton, Long Island.

NYPD officials worked with Suffolk County police and the FBI to determine there were no ties to terror. Under questioning, the engineer said he was an inventor hoping to sell this drone model to the U.S. military. NYPD Lieutenant William McGroarty said during the investigation they had other questions.

"What if this individual could not sell to the military? McGroarty asked. Would he then turn and sell it to the highest bidder?"

The military uses unmanned aircraft in Iraq and Afghanistan. But security officials worry about terrorists acquiring them. Earlier this year, Homeland Security officials issued a general bulletin warning they could be used "as an improvised explosive device.

In this case, police said there is no evidence any laws were broken as the drone was tested on the ground. Officials said if it had gone into the air without prior FAA approval, it could have been considered a crime.

While there are no terror links, police said their investigation continues. The engineer, who News 4 New York will not name because he was not charged, did not respond to numerous requests for comment. His drone project has now been taken over by a Maryland-based company that has registered with the FAA, officials said. One investigator said the engineer, at best, had showed poor judgment in trying to do the project in a manner that raised so many alarms.

After repeated requests for information about this investigation, law enforcement agencies agreed to talk about the case to highlight the city's "Operation Sentry." This NYPD program enables city and suburban police to better share threat information. Officials said the drone investigation is one recent example of how Suffolk County police officials quickly engaged the NYPD's counter-terrorism division to help investigate the report of a predator drone sighting.

"Regional cooperation is the order of the day. Law enforcement gets it and is communicating more than ever before," Kelly said.

So basically he was building a big RC model airplane and "they" wigged out???
So how big does a RC model have to be before you have to get permission from the FAA to fly it?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Nick1911

• Administrator
Re: Civilian "predator drones" being built in L.I??
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 11:53:15 AM »
Hmm... I wonder what FAA form I need to file to legally fly my home made cruise missile...

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 11:53:37 AM »
So how big does a RC model have to be before you have to get permission from the FAA to fly it?
As big or little as Skeletor decides it must be...

You guys really need to read Vin Suprynowicz' writings, especially the novel, The Black Arrow.

The guy's a freaking prophet!
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 09:04:49 PM »
The engineer, who News 4 New York will not name because he was not charged,

Either they have the finest ethics of any local news in the last 50 years, or they couldn't learn his name. Wink

Actually, I'll go with the first, because how many cops are there who can't resist talking to the media as "anonymous sources"?
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 07:32:12 AM »
Don't you also have to get FAA approval to shoot a model rocket so high into the air?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008, 08:34:48 AM »
 So what IS the highest bid at the moment?  grin
Avoid cliches like the plague!

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2008, 08:42:07 AM »
Don't you also have to get FAA approval to shoot a model rocket so high into the air?

It's actually engine impulse rating (H and above) and/or weight.  Section FAR 101.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2008, 01:41:10 PM »
We need to recruit this guy for the pirate hunting voyage of the APS Fistful's Fault !!!!
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2008, 02:58:07 PM »

I'm sure if you lobbed a missile into Manhattan or DC, the FAA would be all over you about it. Probably some hefty fines.  laugh
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2008, 10:40:32 PM »

Heck, allegedly the US government leaned very heavily on New Zealand when one of its citizens did independent work on a pulsejet engine design.

http://www.interestingprojects.com/cruisemissile/
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2008, 03:30:00 AM »

I'm sure if you lobbed a missile into Manhattan or DC, the FAA would be all over you about it. Probably some hefty fines.  laugh

I don't think the FAA would be the first on-scene at your launch site in that case.....and FAA fines would be the least of your immediate worries....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2008, 03:37:19 AM »
Yea, think more along the lines of that butthole remover we saw a few threads ago.  laugh
Avoid cliches like the plague!