Author Topic: Any wood turners in the house?  (Read 614 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Any wood turners in the house?
« on: December 24, 2019, 09:05:28 PM »
I've been contemplating getting a wood lathe for a while. Partly because it seems I'm regularly finding a need for something that could be turned on a lathe  and partly because it looks damned interesting and fun.

I'm still in the research phase of figuring out what I want Vs what I can justify budget wise. Sort of leaning towards a "midi" bench top with the biggest swing and bed length I can get in that configuration. I'm not too shy about dropping a good bit of coin for quality power tools.

If you're a wood turner what kind of set up do you have?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: Any wood turners in the house?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2019, 09:25:32 PM »
I rarely did any woodworking, but I did rig a short wood-lathe type tool rest for the compound rest on my metal lathe.   I made a headstock center for wood, too.

Remembering back, I believe about the only things I ever actually turned were nose cones for model rockets.

The bed was a little short to turn anything very long.

Helpful?  Only if you have a metal lathe in the first place.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2019, 09:38:27 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2019, 05:33:38 AM »
I have a Jet 1221-VS, it was between that and a Rikon 70-220VSR.  The jet had better reviews that I could find.  I also bought it off of Amazon with free prime shipping.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2019, 11:46:44 AM »
What are you using for turning tools and what is your method of sharpening?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2019, 12:04:35 PM »
I always see wood lathes for sale on Craigslist. Start there, upgrade if you like it.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2019, 12:35:29 PM »
I've scoured all the craigslist ads within reasonable driving distance(2-ish hours), nothing worth even making a phone call about. I'll keep looking since I probably wont pull the trigger till after I'm well on with recovery after my rotator cuff surgery next month unless something killer pops up.
So far the Jet and Rikon models that adively mentioned have been top of the list. The next step up from them goes to full sized and way more money than I want to spend.
A good set of tools and a chuck will be a significant expense as well.

Samuel Adams

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2019, 01:04:54 PM »
I picked up a Hazard Frought benchtop lathe and chisel set on Craigslist a few years ago for $80 in like new condition. Made a pile of shavings and a couple salt shaker/pepper mill sets for Christmas gifts last year. It's been mostly idle since then. I usually do woodworking in the winter, but this year has always had something going on.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2019, 07:32:24 PM »
I've scoured all the craigslist ads within reasonable driving distance(2-ish hours), nothing worth even making a phone call about. I'll keep looking since I probably wont pull the trigger till after I'm well on with recovery after my rotator cuff surgery next month unless something killer pops up.
So far the Jet and Rikon models that adively mentioned have been top of the list. The next step up from them goes to full sized and way more money than I want to spend.
A good set of tools and a chuck will be a significant expense as well.

The older Craftsman lathes would be a good starter wood lathe.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2019, 12:57:19 PM »
The older Craftsman lathes would be a good starter wood lathe.

That's what I had a few years ago. When it was taking up too much room at the shop and I didn't have room at home, I got rid of it.  Mine was a 4' Craftsman with Craftsman turning tools, which were quite nice.  I've seen them on Craigslist for around $200. Now that I'm retired, and have room, I may just get another one.

I mostly used mine for making custom gavels to sell at the shop, and for making duplicates for my dad, when he was restoring antique furniture.  My competitor at the shop was a retired shop teacher, so he showed me how to use it.  They make special stones to sharpen the gouges, but I just used a whetstone to keep them touched up.

I still have a stash of exotic woods, like Brazilian Rosewood and Osage Orange, and I have a bunch of black walnut.