Author Topic: If you find something you like buy more than one.  (Read 1370 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
If you find something you like buy more than one.
« on: July 21, 2020, 05:19:57 PM »
Three or four years ago I ponied up and bought a Tilley hat. Wide brimmed "Outback" style LWC55. Last week I got a little careless and manged to screw it up enough that I decided to replace it.

Sorry mother *expletive deleted*ers have discontinued it.
^&$&*(*(  ^$@%% &*^)!!  &*^#@!&*(.
 :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Now I have to find something else I might like as much but Tilley Hats have pared down their offerings and the only broad brim hats they have now are the vented ones that I don't like.

Dammit!

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: If you find something you like buy more than one.
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2020, 05:26:35 PM »
May I suggest a broad-brimmed vented one that you don't like?

https://www.tilley.com/ca_en/men/hats/broad-brim.html

Same thing happened to me with dress shoes. Finally found a wingtip in a true 6E width from Drew Shoe. Fit beautifully. Now discontinued, of course.  =|

Brad
« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 06:11:20 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2020, 05:54:36 PM »
This happens to me all the time with shoes that I both like and that are comfortable. As soon as I find them, it's a guarantee they get discontinued within the next three months.  :laugh:

I currently have a pair of boots and a pair of tenner shoes sitting in boxes, duplicates to what I'm wearing now, and sure enough, they stopped making both last year.

It's especially aggravating for me with shoes. When  I was young, I could wear just about any shoe off the rack. Now something has gone on with my feet where some shoes are absolutely excruciating to walk in, but it always takes at least a few hours of walking around in them for that to start, so there's no way to try them on and find that out without putting them through stuff that voids the ability to return them.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2020, 06:09:26 PM »
Yeah the shoes get me the most. I have trouble finding something comfortable.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2020, 07:10:22 PM »
Yes.  Razor blades.

Yes.  Razor multiblade cartridges.

Yes. Electric razors, rotary.

Yes. Electric razors, oscillating.

Yes.  Burritos.

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2020, 07:17:35 PM »
I wore a Tilley until it started to disintegrate around my brow and Tilley replaced it no charge a couple years ago. It was one of their basic styles. I still love my Tilley hats.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2020, 07:20:50 PM »
Dunno how bad it's screwed up, but can they repair it?
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2020, 08:26:03 PM »
Dunno how bad it's screwed up, but can they repair it?

uhhhh....No. There was fire involved.  :'(

It will still function as a hat but the big burned spots make it uglier than me. More character than I care to display.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2020, 10:51:47 PM »
That's a story for whisky night. Oh wait every night is whiskey night.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2020, 11:39:54 PM »
uhhhh....No. There was fire involved.  :'(

It will still function as a hat but the big burned spots make it uglier than me. More character than I care to display.

You need to put a smoke generator in it. =D
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2020, 11:40:13 PM »
Sadly, it was a pretty lame screw up.

This all happened about 30 minutes after sundown. I had a beekeeper buddy of mine come over to help me bring a honey bee swarm trap over from my neighbors property about a 1/3 of a mile back to my bee yard. I'm still in a sling so needed some muscle and two good arms. I had worn the Tilley hat over the neighbors place while driving my lawn mower pulling my little trailer. When we got there I tossed the Tilley in the trailer and put my bee veil on. I had lit my bee smoker in case the bees got testy. I hooked the smoker on the side of an old metal milk crate I use  to haul bee tools around in and during the bumpy trip across the pasture back to the bee yard the smoker was spilling hot embers on my hat.
 :facepalm:

Samuel Adams

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2020, 08:14:11 AM »
Another one self-identified.

http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=61973.0

(Ok, you did it in that thread, too, but now it's relevant.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2020, 12:15:44 PM »
Yeah the shoes get me the most. I have trouble finding something comfortable.
Ditto. I used to get Rockport "World Tour" walking shoes all the time - they were the ONLY shoes where I could order my size and be confident they'd be a comfortable fit.  But after a corporate reorganization or two and moving their manufacture from China to Vietnam, current Rockport production (with inferior materials, workmanship, and clearly made on different lasts) is just plain awful.   =(
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2020, 01:50:39 PM »
Was browsing around a couple of weeks ago and came across a model of Dickies made jeans that looked very durable, made out of thick canvas type cloth. So on a whim I bought the two pairs that particular store had in stock, hoping they would have the ruggedness I have been looking for. Got them the next day and decided I needed more. Found yet two more pairs from a store in Finland. Bought those as well, got them yesterday. Also shot off a mail to Dickies asking about that model. Discontinued, was in their 2018 catalogue. I might be able to score 2 more pairs even. Fingers crossed.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2020, 07:42:51 PM »
The clothing label Croft & Barrow started making something like carpenter pants, and in colors I really liked. They're comfortable, have the pockets I need, and look decent enough I can wear them to work. Don't know how long they made them, but after I bought about 3 pairs, and went back to Kohl's for a couple more, they discontinued them.  =(
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2020, 10:03:24 AM »
Well anyways, I need a cordless grinder, so as part of that, I'm finally going to listen to what some of you told me to do around a year ago, and today  I'm going to get a Dewalt 20V grinder and then start replacing my other, older 18V Dewalt stuff with the 20V stuff.

Which means that me and all of you that have Dewalt 20V tools are going to see them discontinued for something new by the end of the year.  =D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2020, 10:47:28 AM »
I'm a firm believer in this philosophy. There are two Puma mares legs in 44-40 in the gun safe. I also have a  stainless steel Rossi R92  in 44-40 as well to augment the two Pumas.

On a slight twist to this philosophy and in accord with the above paragraph, I'm a firm believer in having pistol caliber carbines to match/pair up with pistols and revolvers.

And, I believe if you like a certain brand of ammo, stock up on it. Same for reloading. If you like a certain combo of case, primer, powder, and bullet, stock up on those components.

Anyone gone so far as to find and marry a set of identical twins that meets their fancy?  =D

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2020, 11:37:40 AM »
One is none, two is one, three is spare parts. - Clint Smith

Anyone gone so far as to find and marry a set of identical twins that meets their fancy?

At least with that set up you'd still only have one mother in law.

Samuel Adams

grampster

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2020, 12:59:05 PM »
Swmbo loves root beer popsicles.  Walmart is the only store that carries them.  I went 2 days ago.  They had 6 boxes of 6 popsicles.  I bought them all.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2020, 01:05:57 PM »
And they did it to me again. ;/

For 7-8 years I've been wearing 3M safety glasses for sunglasses - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007KQUKM/?coliid=I20XEJB463WK0I&colid=2186QT8S48U9I&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
I typically get a year and half or so out of a pair and usually by 2 pair at a time.

Decided I need a couple more pair.

Currently unavailable.
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.

*expletive deleted*it.

Samuel Adams

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2020, 03:50:49 PM »
One is none, two is one, three is spare parts. - Clint Smith

At least with that set up you'd still only have one mother in law.

To have only one mother-in-law would truly sweeten the deal, wouldn't it!  =D

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2020, 10:00:09 PM »
This is the philosophy behind me buying two or three of a particular tshirts at Dollar General every time I went in for a few months. By the time they disappeared, I had a nice little stockpile. The only issue is I bought the 3x large. They are currently still in the comfortably lose range, but I'm still losing weight...

However, once they are done, one way or the other, they make AWESOME gun rags.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds