Main Forums > The Roundtable

Nerdcore hiphop: Amusing subgenre, or sign of the end times?

(1/2) > >>

Justin:
While on one of those weird internet searches that ends up veering off into some truly strange tangent, I stumbled across mc chris*.
A little more searching, and I found This Wikipedia entry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nerdcore

--- Quote ---Nerdcore hip hop, or geeksta rap, is a subgenre of hip hop music that is performed by nerds, and is characterized by themes and subject matter considered to be of general interest to nerds.So, for about the last week or so, I've been scouring the 'net for nerdcore tunes, and have to say that this is one of the strangest, yet most compelling sub-genres of music I've ever heard.  There's just something inherently funny about hearing themes that are generally applied to drugs, thugs, and ho's get applied to coding, Mountain Dew, and Star Wars.

Anyway, here's a few links.
WIRED News article about Nerdcore

MC Frontalot  --> Easily one of the best, and probably most accessible Nerdcore rappers.
mc chris --> Former crewmemeber on Cartoon Network's Adult Swim programming block. Definately NSFW.  Fette's Vette is not to be missed.
Optimus Rhyme
MC Plus+ --> Purdue Computer Science nerd on their PhD track.  Givin' a shoutout to the Gold and Black.
Monzy's diss track for MC Plus+ --> Tongue in cheek attempt to start an East Coast/West Coast Nerdcore feud.  NTSFW, but if you know anything about programming this song is hysterical.

So for any nerd who's life has felt a bit empty because there was no musical genre specifically for them, well, now there is.  :-D

*Ok, I admit it. I was looking for the lyrics to the song "Gimme Candy" that appeared in an episode of Aqua Teen Hunger Force.

JAlexander:
Man, we're all e't up with signs of the end times lately.  Thank you for sharing.

And while I hate and despise rap, nerdcore's kinda funny.

James

...has left the building.:
I'm ordering my MC Chris shirt tonight! "Life's a ______ and I'm her pimp."

Justin:

--- Quote ---Man, we're all e't up with signs of the end times lately.  Thank you for sharing.No problem.  Just doing my part to imminentize the eschaton.  

K Frame:
ANOTHER sign of the endtimes?

Christ, how many endtimes signs can we have before the endtimes finally get here?

I broke the zipper on my favorite shorts.

ENDTIMES! ENDTIMES!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version