Main Forums > The Roundtable

Firefox not blocking all popups

(1/5) > >>

mtnbkr:
A few months ago, Firefox began failing to block popups at some sites.  Drudgereport is the worst in this regard, but it happens at some other sites as well.  Better popup blocking is one of the reasons I use Firefox (it sure isn't site compatability), but now the 3rd part popup blocker on IE works better than Firefox.  Yes, I have FF configured to block all popups at all sites.

Any ideas?

Chris

mtnbkr:
Turning off javascript solved the problem, but the buttons on web forums stopped working.  

Chris

Ben:
I have no ideas, but I can confirm that this started happening to me recently too. There may be some new pop-up scripts out there that Firefox needs to update for. Interestingly, since this started, I find I'm getting more occurrences in Linux Firefox than I am in Windoze Firefox.

You'd think the fact that pop-up blockers even exist would give sites the hint that they annoy the hell out of people and have the opposite effect that the site is hoping for.  I can understand marginal websites being lame-assed about it, but sites like Travelocity, etc. that are supposed to be reputable and that people really use, versus just view, should know better.

Edited to add: Yeah, turning off all Java stuff takes care of it, but with so many sites using Java, it really limits access at a lot of webpages, and is almost more annoying than the popups. Sometimes I wish we'd just go back to plain old text and image webpages.

mtnbkr:
I just found a Microsoft add-on that gives me tabbed browsing and a popup blocker for IE.  The popup blocker doesn't work as well as the 3rd part blocker, but the tabbed browsing works fine.  I'm going to try it for a few days and if it work for me, I'm dumping Firefox.  I'm tired of using two different browsers depending on which site I visit.  Spyware, viruses, etc haven't been a problem for me, nor do I use the advanced features of FF such as themes and plugins.

Chris

BryanP:
If you want better blocking try installing adblock

http://adblock.mozdev.org/

Then install the filterset.g rules for adblock:

http://www.pierceive.com/

Or, if you like the add-on for IE stick with it.  It wouldn't happen to be Avant would it?  Excellent add on for IE.  I wouldn't use IE without it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version