Author Topic: POTUS underpaid?  (Read 5782 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
POTUS underpaid?
« on: August 19, 2011, 02:48:36 PM »
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/08/19/ap/preswho/main20094680.shtml

After going upstairs and looking around the store, Obama was seen holding five or six books, including "Brave New World" and "The Bayou Trilogy." He went to the cashier after Malia and Sasha had picked out some books of their own, but disagreed with the $32 price he was quoted, which seemed low for the size of his stack. He paid by credit card, telling the cashiers that he uses it only about three times a year.

Doesn't have any walkin-around money?

I'd think the POTUS would much rather pay for things like this with cash.  A credit card number of the POTUS is an interesting thing to have on hand for malicious people.  FRN's are more anonymous.  A store (even one that likes a POTUS like Obama) might actually want to frame the FRN bills given to them from a POTUS customer.

But... if $32 is too much for 5 or 6 books, I'd be willing to GIVE Obama a copy of Brave New World.  Along with Atlas Shrugged, Fahrenheit 451, Unintended Consequences and Rights Of Man.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: POTUS underpaid?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 02:52:21 PM »
Based on his policies/plans I would have thought he already had read "A Brave New World."

Oh and you would be hard pressed to see me with any walking around money anymore also.  Not that I use credit cards a lot but just use a debit card.  If I'm going somewhere I know cash is better/easier then I will take some.  Otherwise debit card it is.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 03:27:12 PM »
Based on his policies/plans I would have thought he already had read "A Brave New World."

Based on his policies/plans I would have double and triple checked to see whose name was on the credit card.  :O

(And asked to see a picture ID. >:D  )
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 03:40:52 PM »
Based on his policies/plans I would have double and triple checked to see whose name was on the credit card.  :O

(And asked to see a picture ID. >:D  )

And to make sure he had signed the back of the card.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 06:57:20 PM »
If you had the power to compel Obama to read 6 books, what would you choose?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 07:04:08 PM »

Interesting question.  Is the intent to keep him tied down and out of trouble with reading, mess with his head, or steer him right?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 07:12:59 PM »
Interesting question.  Is the intent to keep him tied down and out of trouble with reading, mess with his head, or steer him right?

I think the desired effect would be rending of garments, gnashing of teeth, writhing in tormented guilt when viewing his own actions through the lenses of new-found introspection.

But just taunting him is good enough. =D
--Lysander Spooner

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 07:21:21 PM »
What's the president get paid now, $400,000 a year?  Plus almost all his expenses are paid for by the taxpayer, and those that aren't are usually covered through donations to the DNC.

Plus he's got all that loot from his book deals.

Ain't no way Obama is lacking for cash. Unless he treats his own money the same way he treats the US Treasury...then he's probably in debt up to his eyeballs.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2011, 07:43:39 PM »
The taxpayers just picked up the million-dollar tab for his re-election campaign jobs bus. I think he can pay for his own books.

I remember when Bill Clinton stopped in Milwaukee once, and went to a Milwaukee landmark, Leon's Custard. The owner, Ron, is further to the right than just about anyone here. He made Clinton pay for the custard, and gave him a hard time about taxes.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2011, 07:55:01 PM »

Seven Days in May ........................ [popcorn]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2011, 08:23:29 PM »
I think the desired effect would be rending of garments, gnashing of teeth, writhing in torment...

Is Zardoz available as a graphic novel?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2011, 08:59:32 PM »

Seven Days in May ........................ [popcorn]

That's funny right there.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2011, 09:24:44 PM »
I'd make him read Romans, particularly chapter 1.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2011, 09:45:40 PM »
I've actually heard the argument before that POTUS pay should be increased so that the federal judges can get a pay raise.  They get somewhere around $220-$250k IIRC which isn't always enough to pull the good lawyers out of private practice.

I could get behind something like that.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2011, 10:39:36 PM »
I'd be willing to GIVE Obama a copy of Brave New World.

Please don't; he's gotten enough how-to books from Bill Ayers already.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2011, 11:30:00 PM »
When you're potus, or some other upper echelon muckity muck, you don't normally pay for anything yourself, even if you're paying for it.  Some underling will handle the actual transaction.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2011, 06:27:10 PM »
I would make obama read the constitution of the United States and the Bill of Rights, and the Declaration of Independence, and............the immigration form allowing him US citizenship..................chris3

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2011, 08:18:55 AM »
I would make obama read the constitution of the United States and the Bill of Rights, and the Declaration of Independence, and............the immigration form allowing him US citizenship..................chris3

;/

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”