Author Topic: Fun Day in T-Town.  (Read 810 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Fun Day in T-Town.
« on: August 11, 2013, 11:34:03 PM »
We went to the Haardman Tradin' Daze in Green Creek (pronounced 'Crik').

Since Robert and I hadn't known anything about it, we hadn't brought anything to trade (That's kinda the rule, you have to trade, you aren't supposed to buy and use money.)

The history is that 10 years ago a few folks got together after the Effingham County Fair to trade animals (chickens, ducks geese, dogs/puppies, cats/kittens, rabbits, pigeons, etc. even cows and horses, although the last two aren't brought to the event) because you can't really do that as you're showing them at the fair.

It's grown and expand to like a giant swap meet.  This was first I had ever heard about it, or even been there.

So getting back to the beginning, Robert is willing to trade his bag of (illegal in Illinois) Indiana fireworks, with one caveat.  He can't trade for anything that eats and poops.  I decide to go all out and borrow a paperclip from my cousin.  I'm going for a house.  =D

So we get there.  I trade the paperclip for a candle, then the candle for 2 jars of canned cherry's.  For those I get an antique milk can.  I trade that for 3 folding lounge chairs (those bag chairs with the footrest) and turn around I trade the 3 folding lounge chairs for a brand new horse saddle.  I should have stopped there as Robert will be taking horseback riding lessions (a family friend is willing to pay for them).  But I went and traded the saddle for 3 hangon deer tree stands, a trolling motor, Homelite Chainsaw (with 2 bars and 3 chains) and an electric trailer brake device.   At that point due to the heat and lack of fluids, I was done.  I could not believe that no-one thought to setup a booth selling bottle water and pop.   I think I see an opportunity.  ;)

Anyway, Robert managed to trade some firecrackers and a few bottle rockets for a Lee 20 ga Shotshell EZ stacker.  He then traded the rest of the bag for ride on electric scooter (like a Vespa) and $10.

A pretty good day.

So anyone need some treestands, or a trolling motor, or a chainsaw?  They all work.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
Re: Fun Day in T-Town.
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 01:39:45 AM »
I'm thinking AJ might go for the trolling motor....
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 08:00:56 AM »
I'm thinking AJ might go for the trolling motor....

Well played!
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 09:55:27 AM »
I might have been interested in the saddle  :facepalm:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 08:56:53 PM »
I remember seeing an article somewhere about a website where you can trade things, and there was a story about someone who started with a paperclip, I think, and worked his way up to a truck.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic