Author Topic: Where to buy electronic bench/test equipment?  (Read 1108 times)

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Where to buy electronic bench/test equipment?
« on: January 05, 2007, 06:37:59 PM »
I need to buy myself a basic set of electrical test equipment, such as an oscilloscope, function generator, DMM, and a power supply.

Budget is a big factor.  Anyone know where I could get some of this stuff for cheap?

mfree

• friend
Re: Where to buy electronic bench/test equipment?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 09:40:41 PM »
ebay. A few years ago I got an itch and I ended up with a rather nice rackmount Tek 365A for IIRC $275.

I moved since then and am still in the middle of setting up my "electronics workbench"... I've got a signal generator, that scope, could have another basic 10mhz single if I ever bother to find all the parts and fix it, tube tester.... I need a variable power supply, a variac, a "bench amplifier" and some monitor speakers and I'll be all set to do what I want, and make me some tube amps  grin right after I fix grampa's old 1932 fairbanks-morse seven tube.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2007, 10:14:50 AM »
I tried e-Bay for a bit, then went to www.LabX.com for lab/bench equipment.  now my oscilloscopes, signal generators, power supplies, and so forth come from there.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 06:36:25 AM »
LabX looks promising.  Thanks.

Anyone else know of a good source?

Zed

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 12:09:57 AM »
quick question on this.

Been looking for PCB fab equipment myself, Light Box, Developing Tank, Etching Tank, PCB Blanks (Single & Dual sided) and of course the chemicals (Developing & Etching Fluids).
(Nothing big, just for small stuff like amps & PCI cards)

Any idea where I can get them?
(Also on a tight budget)

Thanks!
Si vis pacem, para bellum. (If you would have peace, prepare for war.)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2007, 04:41:45 AM »
Check out surplus sales at state universities.  All sorts of stuff goes for sale or bid.

-Charby
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2007, 10:26:35 AM »
One that's not so well-known is a surplus warehouse in Melbourne, FL called Astro-Too.

http://www.astrotoo.com

They're a clearing house (dumping ground) for all of the leftovers of the Kennedy Space Center/NASA/Boeing/Lockheed/Grumman/Northrop/United Space Alliance/Harris/Motorola/Florida Institute of Technology partners that flourish in the SpaceCoast.

I tried to throttle back the amount of visits I paid to that warehouse, lest my garage and office got too full.  Last time I visited, they had gotten in a bunch of centrifuges, prenatal ultrasound machines, and at least a couple of those cosmetic blemish removal laser consoles.  They had also started photographing and listing the more intriguing items on e-Bay.

A lot of the stuff still has government ID tags or government contractor ID tags on them, but the owner usually gives the government a bid on a tractor-trailer load of stuff, the government always accepts, and then he gets to wade through the mountains of equipment to organize it.  I've found stuff from the Mercury/Gemini days of the space program there.  Wink

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"