Author Topic: American Businesses are taking Mexican Pesos in payment  (Read 1949 times)

Desertdog

• friends
American Businesses are taking Mexican Pesos in payment
« on: January 07, 2007, 03:21:14 PM »
I also read about a grocery chain that would accept pesos, but could not refind it to post the URL. 
Since 60 percent of their customers are hispanic, I wonder if in a short time 100 percent of there customers will be Hispanic.

Pizza chain: We don't need no stinkin' dollars
Mexican pesos to be accepted currency at American eateries
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=53662

Pizza lovers who don't happen to have American currency on them can still purchase their favorite pies with Mexican pesos, thanks to a Texas-based restaurant chain.

Starting this week, Pizza Patrón outlets, which caters heavily to Mexicans, will offer the alternative form of payment.

"We're trying to reach out to our core customer," Antonio Swad, president of Pizza Patrón Inc., told the Dallas Morning News.

"We know they come back [from Mexico] and have pesos left over. We want to be a convenient place for them to spend their pesos."

It's believed no other food chain operating so far from the Mexican border is allowing customers to pay with foreign currency.

Swad said he's prepared to take criticism from American consumers possibly offended by the bypassing of greenbacks.

"We're not really interested in finding the safest spot on the board," he told the paper. "We know the purity of our intention, and we're willing to take the heat when there is heat."

About 60 percent of Pizza Patrón customers and 45 percent of its franchisees are Hispanic.

"If you're not in a border town, I don't see the functional benefit," said Juan Faura, president and chief executive of Cultura, a Dallas-based marketing and advertising firm. "I would see it as a move by the chain to communicate unequivocally to the Hispanic market that they are for them."

"I don't see any other reason for it," Faura added.

Andrew Gamm, Pizza Patrón's director of brand development, said the company has already seen customers spending "a couple hundred pesos" without any advertisement of the service during a test in a Mesquite location.

Founded in 1986, Pizza Patrón has gone from four locations to 59 and more than 40 under development across the American Southwest.

Desertdog

• friends
Dallas-Based food chain to accept Mexican Pesos
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 03:29:25 PM »
I found the second story again.  It will be their loss or gain.  That is the way of American business.

Dallas-Based food chain to accept Mexican Pesos
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/010607dnbuspesos.31047f5.html

KAREN ROBINSON-JACOBS / The Dallas Morning News

Starting Monday, patrons of the Dallas-based Pizza Patrón chain, which caters heavily to Latinos, will be able to purchase American pizzas with Mexican pesos.

Restaurant experts and economists said they knew of no other food chain with locations so far from the Mexican border offering such a service.

"We're trying to reach out to our core customer," Antonio Swad, president of Pizza Patrón Inc., said Friday.

"We know they come back [from Mexico] and have pesos left over. We want to be a convenient place for them to spend their pesos."

While U.S. restaurant chains have stepped up their marketing to Latino consumers and incorporated Latin flavors in the menu, it's unusual to see that outreach extend to the cash register.

"I think it's a very interesting idea," said Ron Paul, president of Technomic Inc., a Chicago-based restaurant market research firm. "They are catering to that audience."

But Mr. Paul said he did not see other chains rushing to emulate the program, in part because of bookkeeping headaches.

Usefulness
Others mentioned that the growing use of credit cards and the desire to hang on to the pesos for a return trip to Mexico would dilute the usefulness of the program.

"If you're not in a border town, I don't see the functional benefit," said Juan Faura, president and chief executive of Cultura, a Dallas-based marketing and advertising firm.

He and others saw the program more as a marketing effort than a badly needed service.

"I would see it as a move by the chain to communicate unequivocally to the Hispanic market that they are for them," Mr. Faura said.

"I don't see any other reason for it."

But Andrew Gamm, Pizza Patrón's director of brand development, said the company tested the idea in a Mesquite store recently and had customers spend "a couple hundred pesos," without any advertisement of the service.

Bills only
Under the program  which is set to end in late February but may be extended  the chain's 59 stores will take peso bills only, not coins.

Using cards listing the conversion calculations, cashiers will enter the figure in U.S. dollars into the cash register and give the change in U.S. currency.

Mr. Swad said some franchisees have made arrangements with their banks to handle the currency.

All other franchisees can send the pesos to the corporate headquarters, which will go to a third party to handle the conversion.

Mr. Gamm said the company set its exchange rate at 12 pesos per dollar for the duration of the program. As of Friday's trading, 10.94 pesos were worth $1, according to Bloomberg News.

Mr. Gamm said the difference would cover the cost of getting the pesos converted to dollars.

Mr. Swad said he's prepared to take heat from American consumers who might be offended by the bypassing of greenbacks.

"We're not really interested in finding the safest spot on the board," Mr. Swad said.

About 60 percent of Pizza Patrón customers and 45 percent of the franchisees are Latino.

"We know the purity of our intention, and we're willing to take the heat when there is heat."

E-mail krobinson@dallasnews.com

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Re: American Businesses are taking Mexican Pesos in payment
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 03:31:59 PM »
Good for them.  Money is money, whether it's printed here in the States or somewhere else.  If they can make more of it by accepting foreign currencies, then more power to them.

Ron

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 03:35:37 PM »
I'll make the assumption you don't like this.

At first I had a negative reaction, then i thought about it a bit.

I believe we should be free to make any type of (legal) transaction we want without government interference.

If you don't like what they are doing there is only two options I see.

1- make it illegal.

2- don't patronize businesses that take pesos.

I just don't see a compelling reason to get the government involved.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2007, 04:29:50 PM »
Many of the businesses I visited while in Mexico in 2001 took dollars and pesos.

Chris

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2007, 05:54:25 PM »
I just don't see a compelling reason to get the government involved.

+1

I'll also note that on the north end of our border 99% of the businesses will take canadian with no problem, and have for years.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2007, 08:37:03 PM »
When I go to Canada, the cash registers are programmed to make the conversion for them when I use US dollars.

I don't see aproblem with accepting pesos down south.

bob

Creeping Incrementalism

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2007, 12:15:04 AM »
Are you people being purposefully obtuse in order to make some sort of libertarian point?

Have you ever seen the maps of the world where geographic territory is modified by population?  Well, if you did that with North America, and used GNP instead of population, you would see the USA with two small pieces attached to either end.  Then add in the fact that the U.S. economy has been #1 since WW2, that some countries tie their currencies to the U.D. Dollar, and the large amount of tourism that goes from the big economy and population to the smaller ones.  To compare a franchise near Mexico accepting pesos as a normal form of payment has significance completely different.  The U.S. is being balkanized.

LAK

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2007, 01:12:53 AM »
The U.S. is being balkanized

Right on the money.

----------------------------

http://ussliberty.org
http://ssunitedstates.org

Ron

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2007, 04:21:51 AM »
Right on the money

Right on the peso

What ya want? A law forcing you to use something specific in exchange for goods and services?

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2007, 04:32:52 AM »
when I went to Ireland, they had no problems with dollars.
As long as they are spending money and here legally (not taking jobs away from Americans)
and not breaking laws....then ....what is this Balkanization thing you speak of?
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2007, 04:40:52 AM »
Are you people being purposefully obtuse in order to make some sort of libertarian point?

Have you ever seen the maps of the world where geographic territory is modified by population?  Well, if you did that with North America, and used GNP instead of population, you would see the USA with two small pieces attached to either end.  Then add in the fact that the U.S. economy has been #1 since WW2, that some countries tie their currencies to the U.D. Dollar, and the large amount of tourism that goes from the big economy and population to the smaller ones.  To compare a franchise near Mexico accepting pesos as a normal form of payment has significance completely different.  The U.S. is being balkanized.
Yup, them Mexican furriners are SCARY.  Run!  Hide!  Scream!!

rolleyes

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2007, 06:38:43 AM »
Along the border, individual shop owners and individuals in general have been spending pesos in the US or dollars in Mexico for generations.  The only thing notable is that now a chain operation is doing it.

When I go shopping in Ojinaga, I now have to show my passport at the Mexican bank in order to change my dollars for pesos at barely under the exchange rate.  But, most businesses there take dollars at a bit more under the exchange rate.

E.g.:  Pesos at 10.8 to the dollar, official international exchange rate.  At the bank, 10.75.  At a business, 10.7; maybe 10.6 to the dollar.  This varies on a daily basis.

I imagine a pizza joint in the U.S. would do the same sort of thing:  Take these 10.8 pesos at 11.0:1.

I'd bet folks along the Canadian border do the same; they don't worry about anything but the daily exchange rate.

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2007, 06:47:31 AM »
Yep, a PRIVATE business concern accepting an alternate form of currency means that the United States is being swallowed whole.  rolleyes

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2007, 09:29:02 AM »
Hey, they accept a peso that's worth x amount in exchange, but they accept it at X minus a certain percent in value.  Then they sell it back at a profit and keep the money here in the U.S., meaning we get back a little of that money that's currently going to Mexico.  Looks like a pretty good business model to me.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2007, 10:07:07 AM »
When I first read the story, I was a little upset that the businesses were accepting pesos for payment. 

After thinking about it, I can see where it may be advantageous to the businesses, and agree, that it is their right to accept any type of money in payment for their services and goods.

It is my understanding that the Mexican Peso fits the American quarter vending machines perfectly.