Author Topic: Pelosi 'Muzzling Free Speech,' Conservatives Warn  (Read 1203 times)

Desertdog

• friends
Pelosi 'Muzzling Free Speech,' Conservatives Warn
« on: January 07, 2007, 06:05:38 PM »
Anybody surprised?

Pelosi 'Muzzling Free Speech,' Conservatives Warn
By Susan Jones
CNSNews.com Senior Editor
http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewPolitics.asp?Page=/Politics/archive/200701/POL20070104c.html

(CNSNews.com) - Tyranny! social conservatives are crying on Thursday, as "San Francisco radical" Nancy Pelosi becomes speaker of the House.

The Traditional Values Coalition warned that Pelosi is beginning her "tyrannical reign" with an aggressive plan to "muzzle" conservative groups through lobby reform.

According to TVC, Pelosi plans to attack the First Amendment right of conservative groups to freely lobby Members of Congress. Her plan is part of the Democrats' "lobby reform" legislation that she hopes to push through Congress within a few weeks.

"Rep. Pelosi, a pro-abortion, pro-homosexual, anti-military legislator, is working with the leftist Public Citizen group to craft a bill that specifically targets conservative groups -- but leaves labor unions, corporations, and even foreign interests to freely lobby Congress," the Rev. Louis Sheldon, TVC chairman, said in a message to supporters.

"The legislation will be a serious violation of the Constitution by undermining free speech and placing incredible time and financial burdens on grassroots organizations. This will infringe upon the right of the people to petition their government," he warned.

TVC said the "draconian" legislation will require all groups that communicate with the grassroots -- even as few as 500 supporters -- to fill out "onerous" government reporting forms detailing the group's expenditures, the issues the group is focusing on, and the federal officials who are targeted for lobbying.

A separate disclosure report would be required for each policy issue that the group is advocating.

The legislation would impose severe civil and potentially criminal penalties against groups that fail to register, report or omit some required information in their reports, TVC said.

Conservatives see the legislation as a "thinly veiled" attempt to muzzle them, since the bill "cleverly exempts" trade unions and corporations from reporting when and what they communicate with their members

"If this Public Citizen/Pelosi legislation is passed, it will be a serious threat to freedom of speech and the right of citizens to lobbying their representatives and senators -- yet will protect corporations and labor unions," Sheldon warned.

He said the legislation will increase TVC's financial burden -- "and force our overworked staff to spend endless hours filling out government forms that can eventually be used to punish us -- if we make a mistake in the paperwork!"

TVC is urging its supporters to contact their senators and representatives: "Ask them to vote against any Pelosi legislation that targets grassroots organizations," the group said.

"If we can't get good legislation passed during the next two years, we can at least stop bad legislation from being passed or vetoed," Sheldon added.

"We're in for a rough two years under these radical liberals."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Pelosi 'Muzzling Free Speech,' Conservatives Warn
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 06:33:44 PM »
Is it just me, or is that article unbelievably dismissive of conservative concerns, just in its use of quotation marks alone? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 07:20:00 PM »
Is it just me, or is that article unbelievably dismissive of conservative concerns, just in its use of quotation marks alone?
I would think so.  After all, conservatives are non-entities to the liberals.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 07:35:48 PM »
Nancy isn't as dumb as she looks.  Reducing the ability of the people to loby the government is nothing more than an attempt to reduce the ability of the average American (who tends to favor conservatism more so than to Nancy's brand of screaming liberalism) to influence national policy.  Note that the NRA, for instance, is one of the nation's most powerful and successful lobbying groups.

Only in power for a day, and she's already trying to consolidate her power.

Reminds me of an old bumper sticker:  "Don't blame me, I voted Republican."

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2007, 08:58:47 PM »
Nancy isn't as dumb as she looks.  Reducing the ability of the people to loby the government is nothing more than an attempt to reduce the ability of the average American (who tends to favor conservatism more so than to Nancy's brand of screaming liberalism) to influence national policy.  Note that the NRA, for instance, is one of the nation's most powerful and successful lobbying groups.

Only in power for a day, and she's already trying to consolidate her power.

Hey you guys, stop scaring me.  undecided I just finished watching Star Wars III, where Palpatine takes control of the Senate and consolidates power around himself.
Andy

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2007, 02:21:52 AM »
Yup, just what we want, a liberal from Kalifornia in charge. We are SO screwed.  sad
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Chris

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2007, 05:01:12 AM »
If only we can find a worthwhile candidate to run for the White House in 08...two years of this might wake people up.

Then again...too many people don't care so long as their favorite tv shows won't be interrupted.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2007, 05:40:30 AM »
Hopefully this doesn't veer Desertdog's thread, but an interesting tangent is this article from the Monterey, CA Herald. Note text bolded by me re: "California-like, progressive, WELL FUNDED government". Gee, I wonder what that means?? Also note that Sam Farr displays a UN flag in his office in Lieu of an American flag.

------------------------

Posted on Fri, Jan. 05, 2007   

Farr optimistic about Pelosi's ability to 'get things done'

By JIM JOHNSON
Herald Salinas Bureau

When Rep. Sam Farr was first elected to Congress in 1993, he began joining Rep. Nancy Pelosi and other lawmakers at a fellow congressman's Capitol Hill home for Tuesday night dinners.

Pelosi, who had helped Farr get elected by hosting a fundraiser for the former Monterey County supervisor and state assemblyman, was already a regular, and it wasn't long before Farr became one, too.

He began forming ties with a small group of rising Democrats who would see their party lose its grip on Congress in 1994, after decades in the majority. Together, they ruminated about what they could accomplish when the Democrats returned to power.

On Thursday, the Democrats resumed control of Congress, Pelosi was elected the first woman speaker of the House, and Farr was sworn in for his eighth term representing the 17th District, which encompasses Monterey and San Benito counties and part of Santa Cruz County.

Democrats swept to power in the House, where they have a 232-202 advantage, and the Senate, where they hold a 51-49 edge, by tapping voter discontent with the Iraq war and the Republican leadership, which was beset by scandal.

Farr, D-Carmel, said Thursday the Democratic takeover was a long time in coming and hailed Pelosi's ascension to the House podium. Pelosi became the first Californian to serve as Speaker of the House, and is now second in line for the presidency.

"There is a real sense of euphoria," Farr said, describing Pelosi calling the 110th Congress to order surrounded by children, including her own grandchildren and the children of new House members. "It was a spirit of history being made."

Farr noted that Pelosi spoke about a "new civility" in the corridors of power, reminded members of Congress that they are "there to represent all the people" and promised to "get things done."

He said the new Congress under Pelosi's leadership will be "more aligned with the agenda of California in general," promoting the tenets of progressive, "well-financed" government, among whose goals are affordable health care and better education.

Farr said Pelosi has been a strong supporter of 17th District issues, such as preserving ocean and coastal resources, converting Fort Ord, backing existing military facilities and promoting agricultural research.

Farr's first act of the new Congress was to introduce House Resolution 21, the Ocean Conservation, Education and National Strategy for the 21st Century Act -- but dubbed "Oceans-21." Farr is co-chairman of the House Ocean Caucus.

Former White House Chief of Staff Leon Panetta, who held the 17th District seat prior to Farr, said Pelosi's rise to the third highest post in the land is "an important statement about the changes going on in our country."

"Overall, I think change is good for Washington," Panetta said.

Monterey County Democratic party chairman Vinz Koller said it was high time to "end one-party rule" in Washington. Koller accused Republicans of shutting out "half the electorate" and said Democratic policy will be good for everyone.

"I think everyone will benefit because there are so many issues that have languished for so long," he said. "But the party needs to be careful not to fall for false compromises."

Pelosi and the Democratic leadership have promised big changes during a much-ballyhooed first 100 hours of the new Congress. Among the proposals are tougher House ethics standards and "pay-as-you-go" fiscal responsibility guidelines.

Legislative priorities include raising the minimum wage, cutting student loan interest rates, promoting stem cell research, investing in clean energy, and implementing all the Sept. 11 Commission's recommendations. Republicans will not be allowed to amend any of the early bills being presented during those first 100 hours.

Republican Party political director Brandon Gesicki said this shows the new Congressional leadership's unwillingness to work in a bipartisan fashion.

"Right out of the gate they're trying to ram everything through without any debate," Gesicki said, saying that the new House rules were not available for review by Republican members.

Panetta, who guided President Bill Clinton's staff in the 1990s, said the new Congress "can't afford to make the same mistakes that (former House Speaker) Newt Gingrich made" by pushing through partisan legislation that stalled before it became law.

Gingrich led the Republican takeover of Congress in 1995.

"I understand the PR value of letting the public know that they're going to get things done," Panetta said. "In the end, if they're going to make a difference, they're going to have to work in a bipartisan manner."

Farr said he anticipates plenty of enmity from the other side of the aisle, which he said will make bipartisan accomplishments difficult.

"This Congress will be fair but firm," Farr said. "The Republicans really denied us everything, and they'll scream that the sky is falling about everything. They want to win back the Congress in two years and they don't want to see too much get done. Now that they're in the minority, that's their job, I guess. With both the House and the Senate in Democratic hands, we'll probably be sending bills to the president that he might not want to sign."

Farr also praised Pelosi for challenging President Bush on the Iraq war in advance of his State of the Union speech. He said Pelosi called the November elections a call from the electorate for a change of direction in the war.

Panetta, who served on the Iraq Study Group, said Congress' next move will depend on President Bush. If the president doesn't alter his war strategy, Congress might be inclined to initiate more oversight, as well as implementing the Iraq Study Group's recommendations on its own.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."