Author Topic: AT&T Email Hassles  (Read 915 times)

Waitone

• friend
AT&T Email Hassles
« on: January 08, 2007, 10:37:32 AM »
I have a business contact with whom I exchange email.  Occasionally he will reply back to me.  Recently his replies and initiated email to me is bounced back by my server (AT&T) with the following nasty-gram:
Error transferring to gateway2.WORLDNET.ATT.NET; SMTP
Protocol Returned a Permanent Error 550 Blocked for abuse.
See http://www.att.net/general-info/rblinquiry.html";
Investigating Error 550 I find the following:
550 Error. Blocked for abuse: This means that your mail was blocked because it was sent by a system that we have reason to think has sent high levels of spam to our customers in the past.

What to do: Ask the administrator of your mail system to contact us through our System Administrators' page and provide the information we need to investigate the problem.
Now just for the record I have no spam blocking engaged at my level.  So no lemme see if I got it right.  One of my customers attempting to communicate with me is considered spam by some disembodied spirit deep in the bowels of AT&T.  Business communication with me is intercepted and a refusal to send notice is sent to my customer but not to me.  When I complain to AT&T I am told the way to fix the problem is for me to contact my customer's IT propellerheads and ask them to contact AT&T to free up my customer's communications with me.  Have I just fallen into the rabbit hole? 

My questions for the esteemed forum:
1>anyone else get the treatment?
2>have you successfully dealt with the problem
3>if #2 above is a 10-4, with whom did you speak in AT&T

If it wasn't such a pain the kester to change email providers I'd dropp AT&T like a bad transmission.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: AT&T Email Hassles
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 11:05:20 AM »
Goddamn that George Bush!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 11:32:14 AM »
what ISP is you customer sending from?

There are subscription Blacklists for spam permitting ISPs
http://directory.google.com/Top/Computers/Internet/Abuse/Spam/Blacklists/
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 12:20:27 PM »
Welcome to my world. 

Since my return e-mail address is corporate the spam filters hit me pretty hard.  I can't link anything, embed an HTML file (even stationery), or attach a file without fear of it being automatically deleted as spam (or marked as spam and automatically deleted by the end-user's mail rules).

AOL is the worst - on many occasions they have summarily blocked all email with a coldwellbanker.com return address.  I can only guess that a couple of agents somewhere had a virus that was spamming everyone on creation through their corporate account.  The AOL automatic monitors picked it up and presumed that everything "coldwellbanker.com" was spam and blocked all the addresses.  It's a pain.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 01:08:51 PM »
I could always send you a Gmail invite to try out.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.