Author Topic: 24 premier, season 6  (Read 478 times)

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
24 premier, season 6
« on: January 09, 2007, 09:06:39 AM »
So, who liked the first four episodes, who hated them, and who's wondering why I'm posting this a week before the TV airing?  (the first four episodes are floating around the bittorrent sites)

I have to give the 4th episode's ending the obligatory "wow." it deserves.  However...

...VERY MINOR SPOILERS...

The theatrics of 24 have lost their intrigue to me.  I'd rather re-watch episodes 1 and 2 than watch an action-show-turned-political-comentary.  I don't like what they've turned CTU into, or the personnel squabbles there.  I don't like that every other phone call involves the President.  I'm rabidly anti-authoritarian, but I can't stand watching a TV show flog the civil liberties horse to death.

Intrigue would be okay, but the constant bureaucratic squabbling at CTU and in the President's inner circle has to go.

I'm sick of seeing ordinary families being dragged into the midst of things.  If an "ordinary family" shows up, they'd better be connected as more than a neighbor of a terrorist.  The Warner family in season 2 was brilliant, for instance.  I'm not watching 24 to get a reality show fix.  I don't want to watch some father unravel and kill someone under the threat of losing his family, only to get dropped by the script soon afterwards.

The soap opera stuff at CTU needs to go, as well.

I think the studio/director realizes they can't generate the kind of intrigue they did the first few seasons, so they're forced to stick ordinary neighbors in hostage situations, have relationship bickering in CTU, and fill most of the rest of the time with bickering in the President's office.  The few remaining moments of violent shock seem to keep viewers happy, and the studio is banking on that.
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

HankB

• friend
Re: 24 premier, season 6
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 09:24:05 AM »
What I disliked about "24" was that every few hours, in the midst of some crisis . . . there was a new team of managers ready to walk in and take over immediately.

It's as if someone told the writers "Hey, CTU is our front line of defense against terror, let's get some people ready to go in and disrupt operations as soon as we have any hint that a crisis is brewing."

"And let's make sure some of them are lawyers with pet judges ready to issue warrants and injunctions on a moment's notice."

"And throw in a few office romances, just so the characters can suck face instead of chasing the bad guys when it's most critical. And it's not enough that Bauer's daughter is an idiot - let's have her take up with an idiot, JUST to provide another distraction in the midst of a crisis."

Plus, they seem to be able to travel all over LA (and find parking!) at speeds Superman would envy.

We'll see what this season is, but by last season the show had become a parody of itself.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain