Author Topic: Any word on the 2nd Amendment case in the Supreme Court?  (Read 5026 times)

De Selby

• friend
Re: Any word on the 2nd Amendment case in the Supreme Court?
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2008, 12:03:35 PM »
The 14th amendment doesn't cover reciprocity of driver's licenses and marriages/divorce.  I thought that was covered in one of the articles. 

I understood there were court rulings that the Bill of Rights applies to the states the same as the Feds (via the 14th I guess).  At least that is how it is applied for the 1st amendment.  The 2nd should apply the same way. 

Also, many states have pro-gun clauses in their constitutions. 

It would be nice if the 10th amendment was applied strictly. 

Well, the 14th is one way to protect driver's licenses-on a right to travel argument.  There's primarily a commerce clause issue there I think, but also the privileges and immunities rule for driver's licenses...but notice that it doesn't work for other kinds of licenses, like hunting licenses or contractor's licenses.

I'm not as enthused about leaving it to states, being from California.  The right to self defense doesn't mean much, it turns out, in the California courts.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2008, 12:36:58 PM »
It's going to take decades.

Unfortunately, that's correct. Freedom is lost in no time; restoring it takes forever and a Sunday afternoon.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2008, 04:04:35 AM »
What would be nice is to see an 822(o) case come up next. It'd still take, say, six or seven years to wind its way through the courts, though.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner