Author Topic: Car repairs are like rabbit holes...  (Read 5032 times)

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: Car repairs are like rabbit holes...
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2010, 03:19:50 PM »
I resisted power windows and locks for a long time, but the last 3-4 cars I've owned have had power locks and windows.  Only one had problems before I sold it, non with fewer than 150k.  My 97 4Runner has 175k (my daily driver) and has 5 power windows, a power moonroof, and power locks.  All work flawlessly.  In fact, the driver's side lock core is getting tough to open at times, but the power portion gets me in every time.

I did lose the power portion of my Camry's driver side lock, but the key still worked fine.  I dumped it at roughly 157k for other issues (and the insane trade-in I got).

I read several years ago that power windows are cheaper than mechanical ones, which is why they're nearly universal.

Chris

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Car repairs are like rabbit holes...
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2010, 05:33:35 PM »
The power locks on my daughter's Cherokee are randomly locking and unlocking themselves, but of course they don't work when you push the buttons  =(

She's 1500 miles away so I can't help her with it right now.

Just last week one of the door latches completely broke so it wouldn't stay shut.  It was something like $250 to fix  :mad:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin