Author Topic: mosquito magnet is good!  (Read 5022 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
mosquito magnet is good!
« on: June 13, 2010, 06:23:55 PM »
picked one up on craigslist and its been immediately a big hit.
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Re: mosquito magnet is good!
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 06:31:51 PM »
Picture? Description? We could use something for mosquitoes.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 06:51:06 PM »
there is a picture, only its so small you cant see it unless you squint- to be carried by a mosquito it has to be tiny.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

• friends
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 07:07:26 PM »
http://www.mosquitomagnet.com/

http://www.mosquitomagnet.com/aboutus/testimonials

http://www.mosquitomagnet.com/advice/how-it-works/how-it-works-independent-testing

the last link has a testimonial from the coast guard station in the bahamas thats pretty intense.  i am too cheap to buy one new but got one used for 125 bucks.   i've had some other brands and this one is the best
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

BMacklem

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 08:22:17 PM »
Wow...brand new those higher end units are over $700+
The cheaper ones are still $300.
I'd love to get one or two though.

• friends
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 02:15:46 AM »
the price came down they were 1200 when they first came out  a paper bag of mosquito corpses is good

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 10:54:44 AM »
I had/have the Blue Rhino Skeeter Vac.  I chose it 'cause it has an on-board generator (no batteries or AC hookup required), and the big version claims to be able to handle 2+ acres.  I have all that and a pond.

Wellsir, it worked okay, when it worked at all.  My problem was that I couldn't get the ignitor to light off the gas, and there's no place and no way to get an external ignition source (read: match) to it.  Many calls to the Blue Rhino people ("it should work...") produced nada, so I gave it over as a bad business.  I must be particularly tasty to the little bastards, 'cause Deep Woods Off and Cutter's isn't keeping them at bay.  I've 'bout given up on my yard in the evenings.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2010, 11:33:17 AM »
Have you tried bats?  Or fish for your pond?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010, 11:50:09 AM »
Have you tried bats?  Or fish for your pond?

There's also treatments you can apply to any standing water to keep them down a bit.

Up here they spray 'Trumpet'.

• friends
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2010, 12:00:07 PM »
i use these lil tan colored biological warfare weapons that dissolve and put Bacillus thuringiensis over 30 days as they disolve . iots safe enough to use in a horse trough.
 i had the same problem hutch had with a cheaper knockoff from coleman that used sticky paper it was good first year  weak second year then dead. this one  i just got i have to plug in and is only rated for 1/2 acre hence my use of the wmd as well as a propane powered fogger

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2010, 12:02:01 PM »
I read these stories, and I thank the Lord that we really don't have mosquitos in the Seattle area.  I do have to deal with deer flies and noseeums when hiking in the mountains. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2010, 05:42:23 PM »
Too bad you can't just buy a big box of dragonflies. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2010, 05:45:18 PM »
My Dad still has a bug lite that hangs out over the pond.  He would clean it out in the evenings and drop a bunch of bug carcasses into the water.  It was fun to watch the water start churning as all sorts of fish start feeding.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

• friends
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2010, 05:46:42 PM »
bat boxes helped a lot  but the tiger mosquito is a daytime feeder this thing has special lures for them. i also use these
http://mosquitocentral.com/Repellents1.htm
near pool picnic table etc

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2010, 06:18:47 PM »
I wish they had something like that for gnats.  They are brutal in our yard this year. =(

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2010, 07:07:47 AM »
I looked into every brand available a few years ago.  The consensus of every review, consumer report, etc that I could find was this: that the mosquito magnet works and works amazingly well, while all other brands of mosquito control devices barely worked at all.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage