Author Topic: cleared leather & shot today, unsucessful ... after shoot report/analysis needed  (Read 5019 times)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
I live in a converted bus on a hill in a remote wilderness, most of the time since the owners of the property inherited a new house I'm all alone out here. 3 dogs, two cats & ten chickens.

I was working on the bus when the dogs did their alert barks, which normally means they want me to lift a board so they can chase a rat or a lizard.

I  wasn't even gonna check it out but I try to be consistent so I did, as I stepped out I saw the dogs running away-I though they were chasing a rabbit but they were looking up the dirt jeep trail leading to BLM land. They charged back up the road when I appeared - I followed two big coyotes stopped their own charge at the dogs when I appeared around the back of the bus.   

I cleared leather but hesitated because the dogs were in between me & the two yotes. The oldest dog knows to split when I have a gun in my hand but the other two were still in the way, me yelling at them to get back scared the coyotes.

I started shooting as soon as it was safe, but in my adrenaline rush I forgot about the dogs ( two split for sanctuary under the porch, one ran in the bus ) I emptied around 12 rounds at the fleeing yotes but missed, I'm really kicking myself for not taking careful aim when the yotes were just standing there in shock at my appearance-they were uphill and the dogs were in front of me but I still probably could have nailed one if not for instinctual reasoning of having the family dogs in front of me ... I had neither eye or ear protection on me , but I'm always armed when working around the ranch... I already have tinnitus and my ears are ringing ...dang!

The  yotes were big and bushy and well fed looking, there are tons and tons of rabbits this yr, were they looking to establish territory?

Anyway, I'm gonna get mr ranch owner to let me use the rifles to thin those sob's out.   
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 02:06:04 AM by gunsmith »
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

gunsmith

• friend
I'm guessing they were more interested in territory than eating, the yotes were big for out here 30 to 40 ponds but the dogs are all 40 pounds.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 02:44:11 AM by gunsmith »
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Better not to shoot, and have 3 dogs... than hurt or kill a dog.

There will ALWAYS be 'yotes.

Heck, I've seen coyotes in 3 suburban neighborhoods I've lived in here in AZ... north Scottsdale (upscale and tony), Glendale (Arrowhead area, also quite nice), and Mesa (very old suburban development, established 40+ years with higher population density than the other two).  I've had neighbors lose their jack russell terrier to a coyote attack, while the terrier was on-leash.  I've had a member of that same 'yote pack across the street from me and my dog, while I was carrying, it a mere 30 feet away.  Still no shot.

You'll never get rid of them.

If you get an opportune precision shot, go for it.  Otherwise... meh.  Protect your dogs.  Including from yourself.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 02:50:57 AM by AZRedhawk44 »
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
was an interesting show on discovery about yotes and how they are evolving
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

HankB

• friend
I live in a built-up suburb just west of Austin, TX, and have occasionally seen a coyote in my area. (Foxes are more common - I've been "screamed at" by a fox when I've gone out to get the morning paper.)

I don't mind coyotes here, because they tend to "disappear" neighborhood cats that some people allow to run loose.  =D
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Hawkmoon

• friend
I live in a built-up suburb just west of Austin, TX, and have occasionally seen a coyote in my area. (Foxes are more common - I've been "screamed at" by a fox when I've gone out to get the morning paper.)

It will be interesting to see how that plays out. It's my understanding that when coyotes move in, they chase out the foxes. That seems to have taken place here. I haven't seen one, but I hear coyotes not far from the house at night, and neighboring farms have had cows chased out of the pastures by ... something, probably coyotes. When I was a kid (way back when), foxes were plentiful around here and coyotes were unknown in these parts. I haven't seen a fox for a good many years.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

T.O.M.

• friend
I live in the middle of Ohio, and I've seen coyotes in my suburban neighborhood.  Started a thread about it last year...

http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=27021.0

The way I figure it, since you and your dogs came out fine on the other side, ya done pretty good.  Tough shot with a handgun to nail a running coyote going away from you.

Out of curiosity, what handgun were you carrying?  Is that your usual carry gun?  Normal load?  back in my thread about coyotes, the wise shooters on this board convinced me thatstandard carry gear was probably my best coice, as it was what I normally wear and shoot most often.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
My buddy is a farmer just on the outskirts of the Chicago suburban sprawl.

He says it doesn't matter how many yotes he takes, there are always others waiting to move into unclaimed territory.

I've always heard yotes drive out foxes and wolves drive out yotes.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
My church & the kids' school has a red fox on the premises(1).  Got (poor phone cam) video of him the other day.  He doesn't look or act rabid and will let humans to come only so close.

We don't sick animal control on him because he keeps the rat population in check and doesn't bother anyone.

(1)  Wooded section on back of lot, adjacent to big housing development.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
I've not had much luck shooting any critters with a handgun except for lumbering porcupines.

Even a .22 rimfire rifle is better.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
What you did wrong was not having a long gun handy.  Even something like a .22 mag would have given you an advantage over the pistol.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
We had a fox hanging around here last year, haven't seen him lately. Got this photo of him early one morning last year.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

gunsmith

• friend
I guess my main fubar was now the dogs know I'm not the greatest shot in the world
 ( like I always led them to believe) ...

I might be bumped from pack leader soon :laugh:

Any way, yeah I know I'll never be rid of the yotes, I wouldn't want that anyway. Yotes are always shot at out here & normally they stay out of range of humans. It was very surprising to see two act like they own the place.
Thats what I mean by thinning them out, I guess they need to be taught cause they were young. Some ranchers around here hang yotes on their fences after shooting them to warn other yotes that its dangerous to tresspass

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
I guess my main fubar was now the dogs know I'm not the greatest shot in the world
 ( like I always led them to believe) ...

I might be bumped from pack leader soon :laugh:

Any way, yeah I know I'll never be rid of the yotes, I wouldn't want that anyway. Yotes are always shot at out here & normally they stay out of range of humans. It was very surprising to see two act like they own the place.
Thats what I mean by thinning them out, I guess they need to be taught cause they were young. Some ranchers around here hang yotes on their fences after shooting them to warn other yotes that its dangerous to tresspass

Yeah, I left one up on the rimrock above the chicken house a couple years ago, and then the last one I shot right in the yard I threw on top of a little slash pile out behind the chicken house.

I'm about due for a fresh one  >:D

I dunno if it helps, but I'm certain that the ones that I shot have learned to not ever prowl around the house again  =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
What you did wrong was not having a long gun handy.  Even something like a .22 mag would have given you an advantage over the pistol.
I think the Glock is the only gun he owns.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
So you fired at some guys running illegals across the border?  ???
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
That's one big farkin' rabbit in that picture.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Regolith

• friend
That's one big farkin' rabbit in that picture.

More like a skinny fox. Looks like he was due a good meal.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

gunsmith

• friend

SHhhhh! I have the dogs convinced its a 1911

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Well, I would loan you an old .22 if you weren't so far away....

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages

He's indicated the land owner would probably loan him a long gun. Might be worth putting one on long-term loan if the yotes are being that aggressive.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

gunsmith

• friend
the past couple of nights have been unusually quiet, either the yotes got the hint...or now I'm deaf!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
the past couple of nights have been unusually quiet, either the yotes got the hint...or now I'm deaf!

Has your non-existent phone been ringing ???   :P

gunsmith

• friend
Has your non-existent phone been ringing ???   :P

More like a constant high pitched tone.

They were back this am, around 330/4 the dogs had woken me up so they could outside & I left the door open so they could come back in.

So around 430/5 yote howls woke me up & I grab the flashlight

( no sun no electrical power)    and a quick check shows the dogs hanging out as if to say "we aint going out there, you have a gun -you go out there"   I don't blame them sounded like ten different howls.