Author Topic: Why NPS wants you to play keep-away  (Read 5031 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Why NPS wants you to play keep-away
« on: June 27, 2012, 07:52:11 AM »
Officials in Yellowstone National Park say a Massachusetts man was gored by a bull bison that threw him 10 feet in the air and then pinned him to the ground.

The man, who is in his mid-50s, suffered a broken collarbone, shoulder blade, several ribs and a groin injury in Saturday's encounter near the Norris campground. He was airlifted to an Idaho Falls, Idaho hospital and is expected to recover. His name was not released.

Park officials say the man was not taunting the animal, but let the bull approach within a few feet of where he was sitting.

Park rules require visitors to stay at least 100 yards away from bears and wolves and at least 25 yards away from all other animals. If an animal approaches, it is the visitor's responsibility to move a safe distance away

So, as long as you are not taunting the animals it is OK to stay put while ShaggyWooly ambles up into bad breath range of you?  If it were not that the guy is from Massachusetts I might wonder if there was something wrong with him for not getting up and moving.

Anybody want to bet he tries to sue NPS for not teaching the bison to maintain the 25-yard buffer?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Why NPS wants you to play keep-away
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 08:41:11 AM »
Apparently I've been reading too much about the TSA lately, because I read that as "groped by a bull bison."

The story still pretty much makes sense, if leaving you slightly confused:

"The man, who is in his mid-50s, suffered a broken collarbone, shoulder blade, several ribs and a groin injury in Saturday's encounter near the Norris campground."

Wow, that was a pretty hard groping.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 08:50:52 AM »
Bisons 1 - Humans 0
Avoid cliches like the plague!

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 09:00:26 AM »
I grew up where there was a herd of free ranging buffs. Every couple of years someone would get beat up by a buff. Occasionally they would be fatal.

Bob

grampster

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 09:20:06 AM »
My brother and I were in Yellowstone in '82.  A bus load of Japanese tourists pulled up by the Old Faithful Lodge.  A couple of buffs were wandering around down by the knick knack store.  The tourists headed for the buffs, laughing and taking pictures.  They quit laughing when a buff took after one of them and flipped him in the air.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 09:26:36 AM »
Bisons 1 - Humans 0

I guess that really depends on how far back you go keeping score.   =D
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 10:00:25 AM »
one of the dumber things i've done as a dad was stand still with kid 1 on my shoulders while the herd bull wandered over to eyeball me from the other side of a 6 foot steel fence  i was watching him through a viewfinder and started off at max zoom i didn't realize how close he was till i couldn't back off the zoom anymore and he filled viewfinder . i took cam down we looked at each other he snorted and took the herd away from the two headed biped. would not do that today. the fence was a "suggestion" to the buff not real containment
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

280plus

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 10:25:19 AM »
I guess that really depends on how far back you go keeping score.   =D
:lol:

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2012, 10:32:24 AM »
I was on my motorcycle in Custer State Park when a small herd of bison came up to me. I wasn't expecting a couple of them to start rubbing up to me and, when they did, I really didn't know if I should just be still or get the hell out of there. I guess I lucked out.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 11:25:35 AM »
I was on my motorcycle in Custer State Park when a small herd of bison came up to me. I wasn't expecting a couple of them to start rubbing up to me and, when they did, I really didn't know if I should just be still or get the hell out of there. I guess I lucked out.

Guess it all depended on which part of you they were rubbing.

No!  Never mind!  Pretend I never said that!  Eww!  Ick!

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2012, 01:15:26 PM »
 :rofl:
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, 05:51:01 PM »

Does your wife know about you getting lucky, Dick?
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2012, 06:06:05 PM »

Buffy the Bison Rubber  =D
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2012, 07:59:18 PM »
I got caught in a cattle drive in Utah once, and the cattle were rubbing up against me, too. Must be something about me that attracts large furry animals. ;)

It's unnerving to have something that big and clumsy next to me and my precious bike.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2012, 08:04:19 PM »
My in-laws have a bull that does that rubbing & pushing bit....slapping it on the eyeball tends to dissuade it....might work for bison, too....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2012, 10:07:07 PM »
Heh, Strings said "lucky dick"...

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2012, 11:01:32 PM »
[backs quickly away from thread]
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2012, 01:38:41 AM »
>Must be something about me that attracts large furry animals<

Not touching that with a 10 foot pole...

No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2012, 08:10:16 AM »
Must be something about me that attracts large furry animals. ;)

I thought we both agreed we were never going to talk about that again.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2012, 09:31:01 AM »
This goes right along with a couple of videos I saw recetnly.  One was a man in Florida complaining about his prtoperty being damaged by the tropical storm, the second a woman in Colorado complaining that firefighters hadn't done enough to save her home.

Ah, the arrogance of Man.  You may survive an encounter with Mother Nature, but in the end she will always win.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2012, 09:42:43 AM »

Yea, I tend to leave animals larger or meaner than myself alone. I like nature. But I'm not dumb enough to think I'm gonna win against nature without serious resources. No Barrett handy? Yep, I'm leaving the bison alone.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2012, 12:15:45 PM »
This goes right along with a couple of videos I saw recetnly.  One was a man in Florida complaining about his prtoperty being damaged by the tropical storm, the second a woman in Colorado complaining that firefighters hadn't done enough to save her home.

We saved an old fellow's house on Tuesday, and then he grouched because we lost an 8x12 shed that had a bunch of old hay in it  :facepalm:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

280plus

• friend
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2012, 01:46:59 PM »
You shoulda hosed him down and left.  ;)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2012, 01:59:06 PM »
You shoulda hosed him down and left.  ;)

Yeah, I pulled out his old riding lawn mower about 30 feet away but he complained because some plastic parts on it still melted.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

280plus

• friend
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2012, 02:41:04 PM »
Some people are total ingrates. It never seems to amaze me. Best advice I can offer is don't let them break your spirit.  ;)