Author Topic: Advice, please, on dealing with a customer?  (Read 5030 times)

dogmush

• friend
Re: Advice, please, on dealing with a customer?
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2013, 08:31:52 AM »
How likely is it that your insurance will pay off (and continue to in the future)?

How much do you not want this guy to bad mouth you on reviews?

I agree you did your part and this guy should FOAD, but HE obviously expects you to do something.  Is not having him be irate all over the internet worth the cost of an EOTech to you?

You could also try to passive aggressively make him give up.  Requiring he make a police report and provide you a copy prior to shipping him a replacement is reasonable, and many folks doing this as a scam won't want to be on record.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2013, 08:54:17 AM »
I agree you did your part and this guy should FOAD, but HE obviously expects you to do something.  Is not having him be irate all over the internet worth the cost of an EOTech to you?

I think this is why Amazon does what they do. It may even be a way of being "self insured" for them and cheaper than having insurance to cover their volume. Amazon is a completely different business model though, from a privately owned small-business model like Monkeyleg's. I just don't think you could make the numbers work if you replaced every delivery loss.

It seems to me like most rational people would understand that once it gets into the shipper's hands, that the receiver should have some responsibility in providing a safe delivery location. Given that rational thinking is getting to be a scarce commodity, I do agree with you regarding the concern of this guy bad-mouthing Monkeyleg.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2013, 10:14:26 AM »
It's the bad-mouthing that concerns me.

My distributor says it's very likely the insurance company will pay, but it's not 100%. Sales have been absolutely terrible, and if I give the guy a replacement unit, and insurance doesn't pay, I've lost a good chunk of last month's profit. $400 is a good chunk of last month's profit. That's how bad it is.

This guy knew enough to go right to his credit card company after our first phone conversation and discuss a chargeback. I don't think most customers know what a chargeback is. He says he's a merchant, too, so if that's true he knows that a successful chargeback can raise my cost of processing credit cards. It's another way of threatening me.

I'm leaning towards getting him to submit the required letter for the insurance company, in which he has to give the date of order, date of shipment, tracking number, date of delivery, and state that the postman said that the package was delivered. I would write it for him, which I've done before, so I can include phrases such as "under threat of perjury". I would also tell him that I need a police report, so that he would be in all sorts of violations of the law if he's lying.

With demand having fallen drastically after the Obama bubble burst a couple of months ago, sales have been terrible. Traditional advertising sources haven't been working. There's a site call Slickguns.com where people post deals they find on gun stuff. Retailers can advertise deals on there, but only if they're really deals. So I've been creating coupon codes specifically for Slickguns, and reducing prices to the point where I'm making $10 on an EOTech, and under $100 on a $1500 ACOG. Some money is better than none.

The people who use Slickguns, though, will jump to a different retailer for $2. They're not the type of customer most retailers want.

For example, my distributor had a really, really busy day on 11/29. I had a whole bunch of EOTech orders, including one order for a $580 EOTech EXPS2-0 and two orders for $360 EOTech 512's. The distributor put the EXPS2-0 in one of the 512 boxes, and vice versa. The guy who got the 512 instead of the EXPS2-0 he paid for called immediately, of course, and I sent him another EXPS2-0 and set up a UPS pickup for the 512. I contacted the two guys who bought 512's, one of whom got the EXPS2-0, to see which one got the $580 sight. One guy said he got a 512. The other guy never replied to my email or to my phone calls. He got a real deal, and he's not giving it up.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2013, 11:51:14 AM »
Since the customer has acknowledged that the package was delivered, what makes you think Dick's insurance company would do anything? That which is not Dick's problem is also not his insurance company's problem.

People who can't afford tenant insurance should not be buying expensive toys and leaving them outside for other kids to play with.

I agree with you it isn't Dick's problem nor is it his insurance company's problem.  What I was trying to get at, as never_retreat has stated, see if this guy really did lose it or is wanting the 2 for 1 deal.  If he doesn't want to sign an affidavit then more than likely he is trying for the 2 for 1 deal and he can FOAD.  If he goes through the hassle of signing it and sending it back to Dick then Dick can make up is mind as to what he wants to do.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2013, 03:41:17 PM »
Yep, Police report, notarized affidavit, USPS Postal Investigation case number.  If he's willing jump through those hoops then he's probably telling the truth.  If not. Then he's not. 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.