Author Topic: MI Woman Faces 93-Days in Jail For Planting Vegetable Garden (in Front Yard)  (Read 6243 times)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news/local/julie-bass-of-oak-park-faces-misdemeanor-charge-for-vegetable-garden-20110630-wpms

Homeowner puts planter beds in her front yard to grow vegetables.  Code enforcement gave her a warning.  They ticket her.  Ticket turns into a misdemeanor charge (Story doesn't say if she ignored warning and the ticket, but it would be safe to assume that she did.)  City code states that the front yard has to have suitable, live, plant material.  Both sides won't back down so now it is time for a jury trial.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news/local/julie-bass-of-oak-park-faces-misdemeanor-charge-for-vegetable-garden-20110630-wpms

Homeowner puts planter beds in her front yard to grow vegetables.  Code enforcement gave her a warning.  They ticket her.  Ticket turns into a misdemeanor charge (Story doesn't say if she ignored warning and the ticket, but it would be safe to assume that she did.)  City code states that the front yard has to have suitable, live, plant material.  Both sides won't back down so now it is time for a jury trial.

The city better hope it doesn't go to trial.  This kind of petty bureaucratic insanity taken to a jury trial usually ends up with the city having their collective butts handed to them by residents equally enraged by the city's outlandish interpretation, and potentially losing a civil case for legal expenses and "pain and suffering" to the homeowner (i.e. taxpayers getting to pay, again, for political stupidity).

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

cambeul41

• friend
"That's not what we want to see in a front yard," said Oak Park City Planner Kevin Rulkowski.

I wonder who he means by "we"?

I found this in the comments

Kevin Rulkowski-
Director/City Planner

krulkowski@ci.oak-park.mi.​us
?It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.?
?Thomas Sowell

BridgeRunner

• friend
This house is two blocks from me.  Happens they're an Orthodox Jewish family.  Incidentally, most OJ families' idea of "landscaping" is running a mower over the lawn assorted vegetation a couple times a month, and that's it.  The Bass's yard is one of the more attractive ones on the block.  

With my parents' permission, I'll be building some raised beds in the front yard next week.  =D

Oh, and the family I'm having dinner with tonight?  Yeah...she's got tomato plants out front.  I'll suggest she make 'em a little more conspicuous.  This could be fun.  =D
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 07:46:55 PM by BridgeRunner »

coppertales

• friend
Gee, I have pepper plants and tomato plants in my front yard along with a couple of pecan trees.  But then again, Texas is a whole 'nother country.......chris3

dogmush

• friend

If you look at the definition of what suitable is in Webster's dictionary, it will say common. So, if you look around and you look in any other community, what's common to a front yard is a nice, grass yard with beautiful trees and bushes and flowers," he said.

Just because my personality runs this way.

Definition of SUITABLE

1 obsolete : similar, matching
2 a : adapted to a use or purpose <suitable for kitchen use>
   b : satisfying propriety : proper <suitable dress>
   c : able, qualified <a suitable candidate for the job>

You keep using that word.  I do not think that it means what you think that it means.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
If tomatoes are outlawed, only outlaws will grow tomatoes.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
One more reason why the folks from various planning and zoning departments will some of the first people up against the wall when the revolution comes.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
I saw this earlier today, found her blog, and dropped her a line that I might be able to give advise around the Michigan Right to Farm Act.  I'm not a lawyer, but maybe with a little guidance she could get her lawyer running down that track if need be.

This house is two blocks from me.  Happens they're an Orthodox Jewish family.

Hearing THAT makes the situation just that much funnier.  I guess Michigan ain't that big after all.  Well, now that everybody left that is.

With my parents' permission, I'll be building some raised beds in the front yard next week.  =D

Have you seen my little raised bed/cold frame greenhouse before?  Personally, I think it's great if you're going to try and do veggies in Michigan.  You can get all your stuff going mid April and never worry about frost.

And if you wanna irk the local planning commission, oh, that'd do it.  Looks like you buried a covered wagon in the yard.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Another skirmish in the war against self sufficiency.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

BReilley

• Just a frog in a pond.
  • friend
Have you seen my little raised bed/cold frame greenhouse before?  Personally, I think it's great if you're going to try and do veggies in Michigan.  You can get all your stuff going mid April and never worry about frost.

And if you wanna irk the local planning commission, oh, that'd do it.  Looks like you buried a covered wagon in the yard.

If you like that, you'll love this: http://gardenpool.org/

We are looking at foreclosures and cheapo houses in the Mesa area to be closer to work, family, etc. and have run across a couple with pools.  Naturally, they are NASTY after having set for some months, and we don't really want the expense and general PITA of having a pool(my parents have a pool for our use anyway >:D), so we talked about buying the place and just filling the pool in or making a root cellar-type thing out of it.  Then I thought of the greenhouse angle, and lo and behold, someone else got there first!  Neat project(but probably way beyond my means right now).

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
Hearing THAT makes the situation just that much funnier.  I guess Michigan ain't that big after all.  Well, now that everybody left that is.

If I yell really loudly you might be able to hear me from the UP.
Look, tiny text!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
"Upper Peninsula?"

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
Yeah, UP = Upper Peninsula

If you live up there you're a yooper.

If you live down here you're a troll.  (We live under the bridge, see.)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
One more reason why the folks from various planning and zoning departments will some of the first people up against the wall when the revolution comes.

A bullet's too good for them. 
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

dogmush

• friend

Sadly, The wall's zoned residental, not execution.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Sadly, The wall's zoned residental, not execution.

{giggle snort}   :laugh:

How long do you think it would take to get it rezoned to execution?
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

red headed stranger

• friend
{giggle snort}   :laugh:

How long do you think it would take to get it rezoned to execution?

Just get it zoned "mixed use."
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
UPDATE - they decided to drop the charge after realizing the international attention they were getting was not positive.

http://www.infowars.com/front-yard-gardener-faces-new-charges/

But they went back in the computer to look for her dog's license, and have now charged her with not having one for Phideaux.  'Ceptin' she says he has one.  Even makes him wear it.  Can't get it to stay on a band around his arm, tho.

[popcorn]  Lots of  [popcorn]

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Bigjake

• friend
Could she file her own suite against the local .gov for just ****ing with her?   Call it harassment or something?

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Jeez, talk about adding fuel to the fire.  They just stepped it up from from a public relations faux pas to a full blown fiasco.  I see a whole bunch of out-of-work elected officials in their future.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Could she file her own suite against the local .gov for just ****ing with her?   Call it harassment or something?

Don't know precisely how Michigan tort law works, but there are a few federal possibilities - most well-known being the 42 USC 1983 civil rights violation under color of law suit.  There may be big money waiting out there for her, if the taxpayers can come up with the scratch.  Maybe even some $$ from the individuals behind this if she can get past limited qualified immunity.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.