Author Topic: Audio Transcript from ATC on 9/11  (Read 5009 times)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Audio Transcript from ATC on 9/11
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 02:02:52 AM »
Wow.  Left hand, meet right hand.

Our air force was caught unarmed and flat footed by commercial aircraft, with over a 20 min respose time to get armed birds up.

And our atc was indecisive.  Very.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 02:21:48 AM »
[quote author=AZRedhawk44 link=topic=31357.msg620636#msg620636 date=1315634572

Our air force was caught unarmed and flat footed by commercial aircraft, with over a 20 min respose time to get armed birds up.
[/quote]

Consider that the primary concerns would be jettisoning live ordnance over the states, handling by ground crews, and complications involving ground emergencies and it should come as no surprise that the SOP is still for armed aircraft not to be sitting around in the continental US. Given that the live stuff was probably locked up on the far side of some airfield I call 20 min pretty damn good. Took my helo squadron about 2 hours just to figure out their mode 4 IFF, but we were moving people between Norfolk and the Pentagon by shortly after noon that day. Actually, 20 minutes would be pretty slick even on an aircraft carrier if the deck wasn't spotted or alerts sitting.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 02:45:20 AM »
It's easy to forget the way that hijacking was viewed pre-911.  There was no threat of kamikaze-style attacks on ground targets before this. It was unprecedented.  Pre-911, a hijacking meant some dude told the pilot to fly somewhere else instead of where you were going.  You sent the swat team and hostage negotiators after they landed, you didn't send fighter jets to shoot it out of the sky.  There was even a Seinfeld episode where Jerry's plane gets hijacked as a humorous end to a show where Jerry is having a "what else can go wrong today" kind of day.

If anything I applaud the speed at which TPTB recognized the threat for what it was, and responded with fighter jets with orders to shoot down uncooperative planes.  I applaud the brave souls of Flight 93 who figured out what was up.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2011, 08:09:12 AM »
Query:  What do the different modes mean?  I notice that they talk about mode 3 on the transcripts and French G you mention mode 4.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2011, 09:47:32 AM »
Query:  What do the different modes mean?  I notice that they talk about mode 3 on the transcripts and French G you mention mode 4.

It's for aircraft identification

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Identification_friend_or_foe
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

TechMan

• Administrator

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2011, 12:35:16 PM »
Yeah, wrong crypto for the reply and bad things follow, usually at a high velocity.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2011, 01:26:41 PM »
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2016162502_sept11pilot10.html

I had not previously heard of this story.  The first F-16s up in the air in pursuit of Flight 93 had no missile or cannon load-out.  They were prepared to take down the plane by ramming it mid-air.  The CO was going for the cockpit and the wingman for the tail.  Wow.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2011, 07:52:02 PM »

I had not previously heard of this story.  The first F-16s up in the air in pursuit of Flight 93 had no missile or cannon load-out.  They were prepared to take down the plane by ramming it mid-air.  The CO was going for the cockpit and the wingman for the tail.  Wow.

That's interesting. A friend of mine was manning the counter at a car wash that day, and was glued to the TV news. He says that he saw a man being interviewed at Shanksville, who reported that he had seen a missile hit Flight 93. Later, he saw the same man being interviewed, with Men In Black behind him, and a frightened look on his face, saying that it just fell out of the sky for no apparent reason.

It would not surprise or bother me if we actually had shot down the plane, but Penny's story is an interesting angle on it.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2011, 08:29:38 PM »
Wow

That must be some powerful sedative you're on.  I was thinking more like "Jesus Christ on a &#%*ing pogo stick!"

So you want me to ram a passenger jet and kill a few hundred people so that they don't crash into another building and kill a few thousand (more), and there's very little chance that I won't be answering to my maker for doing it in about ten minutes...

If I didn't go completely catatonic on the spot (and that's probably more likely than my ego wants me to admit), I'm absolutely certain that I wouldn't be reaching for the eject handle.  If I were able to do it, I wouldn't want to be around for the aftermath.

The only thing that I'm more grateful for than them being there to do that is that nobody told me to.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 08:35:16 PM by Azrael256 »

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2011, 05:52:49 AM »
Not sure but one story I read about a unit on the ground was in the process of loading live missiles for training when they got the call to put F-16's in the air.  They got launch orders about 2-3 minutes, I think, after Flight 93 went down.  But we still at that time didn't know how many more were out there.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2011, 08:49:47 AM »

I'm getting a page error repeatedly and only headline and ads come up. Can someone paste it here? Thanks.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2011, 09:05:08 AM »
That must be some powerful sedative you're on.  I was thinking more like "Jesus Christ on a &#%*ing pogo stick!"

So you want me to ram a passenger jet and kill a few hundred people so that they don't crash into another building and kill a few thousand (more), and there's very little chance that I won't be answering to my maker for doing it in about ten minutes...

Aerial ramming is something that many modern pilots still train for - even in jet aircraft. AFAIK the last recorded air ram by a fighter aircraft was seen in 1981, with a Soviet Su-15 fighter plane ramming a Canadair CL-44. Pilot ejected and later expressed regrets he didn't land the SU-15 instead, as it was apparently still sort of air worthy. CL-44 was lost with all hands on board.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2011, 10:16:39 AM »
I'm getting a page error repeatedly and only headline and ads come up. Can someone paste it here? Thanks.

MrsSmith against the rules, but I have made a pdf and will shoot it to you if you pm me an email address.

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2011, 11:17:15 AM »
Got it. Thanks Adively.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2011, 01:03:09 PM »
You're welcome.