Author Topic: Interesting story about an American who worked at an Indian call center  (Read 15823 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
And in my experiences with the Chinese, the ones with "western" style assertiveness and independence tend to be of the scamming/criminal variety.

When thinking outside the box is socially unacceptable, only the socially unacceptable will think outside the box.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
That's one way to put it.  Another is that they are immersed in a massive system of systems that inherently do not work.  India is a massive bureaucratic mud pit where any progress is made in incremental steps by hundreds, if not thousands, of people.  I don't think they understand that Americans are accustomed to devices and systems that usually work right the first time, and most of the time after that.

To be fair you get this in Europe too.  Back when I worked for Uber Global Mega Corp our Eurpoean counterparts were well known for just passing the buck back to the American team to finally fix their problems.  At one point my manager actually flew out there just to figure out WTF they were doing wrong.  As he put it:  "If a guy over there has to manage the network he considers his job done as long as the network switch has flashing lights on it.  That's it.  They look at at their thing and nothing else."

The "massive bureaucratic mud pit where any progress is made in incremental steps by hundreds, if not thousands, of people" isn't unique to India.  It basically describes any large corporation. However, we don't outsource our IT needs to overpaid Europeans so we notice the Indians when they pop into the picture.

I guarantee you we'd be just as pissed at German corporate monkeys trying to do the same jobs.  Be that simple tech support, network stuff like RevDisk is talking about, or programming work that I'm familiar with.

CNYCacher

• friend
Not logical.

Grammatically correct, yes. Logical, no.

It's perfectly logical.  The problem is that when people say "or" they commonly mean "xor" or "exclusive or".

If I need the red one, and someone asks "Do you need the red one or the blue one" "Yes" is a perfectly logical answer. I could logically give the same answer if I needed the blue one, or if I needed both.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage