Author Topic: who has slipped the track - the train or skidmark?  (Read 1042 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
who has slipped the track - the train or skidmark?
« on: November 18, 2012, 06:04:38 AM »
http://tinyurl.com/bbocnp3

Pause the video at around the 12-second mark.  (Seriously, you are not going to see anything about the couple having sex near the tracks, including not seeing how close to the tracks they might have been.)

Now that you have the video rewound and have paused it at the 12-second mark - look at the wheels on the far side.  Notice where the wheel flanges are in relation to the track.  Then look down the line on the near side, checking the wheel flanges.

Am I the only one thinking that the whole train has slipped the track?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Regolith

• friend
Re: who has slipped the track - the train or skidmark?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 06:13:31 AM »
http://tinyurl.com/bbocnp3

Pause the video at around the 12-second mark.  (Seriously, you are not going to see anything about the couple having sex near the tracks, including not seeing how close to the tracks they might have been.)

Now that you have the video rewound and have paused it at the 12-second mark - look at the wheels on the far side.  Notice where the wheel flanges are in relation to the track.  Then look down the line on the near side, checking the wheel flanges.

Am I the only one thinking that the whole train has slipped the track?

stay safe.

Could there be a third rail - a power or switching rail - in between? I'd think the near-side wheels wouldn't still be as perfectly on the rail as they are if the far side ones had slipped.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 08:48:02 AM »
Or does it have a third rail in between for narrow gauge?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 09:41:11 AM »
Looks to me like the offside wheels are riding on the flanges rather than the flats.

Don't see anything that looks like a third rail.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 11:45:46 AM »
Probably a stock photo taken at a work yard or salvage yard. Notice  the rust track on one of the wheels inthe back ground, that takes a little bit of time to form so likely not the train in the story.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 12:35:50 PM »
It could also be sitting at a switch point. With the low angle of the shot, it is too hard to tell.

* Aftrer looking closer, I am pretty sure that it is sitting on a switch point. Even the wheels on the right side of the train look like they are off of the track a little along the left hand side of the picture.

bob
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 12:39:42 PM by BobR »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 12:59:03 PM »
If the train's wheels are on track on the one side, it's kind of hard, if not impossible, for them to be off the track on the other side, unless the track itself has slipped.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, 01:29:25 PM »
In the video, on the right side of the frame at the bottom of the far rail, it appears that there is an extra area of steel that is not present further to the left of the frame.  That piece looks like the switching area in BobR's photo.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2012, 01:41:20 PM »
Probably a stock photo taken at a work yard or salvage yard. Notice  the rust track on one of the wheels inthe back ground, that takes a little bit of time to form so likely not the train in the story.

But is it the train that almost ran over Marty McFly?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife