Author Topic: Dear Muvver Erf - just for you  (Read 1698 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Dear Muvver Erf - just for you
« on: November 20, 2012, 09:37:25 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOj6gPwkiXg

Just because it feels almost as good to see it as it must feel to do it.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
Re: Dear Muvver Erf - just for you
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 05:16:32 PM »
 :lol:  [popcorn]

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 01:24:37 AM »
So, he's starting a diesel loco? Do they normally have that kind of smoke when they start up?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 06:54:53 AM »
So, he's starting a diesel loco? Do they normally have that kind of smoke when they start up?

Never been behind/next to any diesel when it starts/begins to accelerate?  Or when some truck jockey pumps the "gas" pedal while idling?  Never looked at the exhaust pipe of a diesel auto and wondered why it had all that black gunk?

The thing is, that's almost all pure carbon (lampblack) which does not screw with the ozone or kill baby polar bears.  It also falls to the ground fairly quickly and does not combine with anything else to form acid rain.  But tree-huggers take one look at that cloud and get the coniptions.

All of which may or may not have anything to do with the thread title.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 12:14:11 PM »
Diesel's will smoke a little more at start up since there is no boost, but they are trying to inject sufficient fuel to get it started. When diesels get close to stoichiometric they get smoky, which is ~14.5 air to fuel ratio for typical diesel fuel. The actual afr where visible smoke is noticed depends on the injector design, pressure, injection timing, charge air temp, charge air pressure, compression ratio, etc. For an unfiltered exhaust on a fully warm and boosted engine, the limit is typically in the 15-18 afr range for ~10-15% opacity (this opacity is roughly a small visible puff of smoke). The video appears to be closer to a ~100% opacity.

At low starting speed and idling, mechanical injection systems do not produce full injection pressures which can cause more smoke due to poorer atomization of the fuel.

I suspect that this is a 2-stroke (4-valve) diesel. In which case, it may not have efficient exhaust scavenging at start up with no boost, which hurts the afr.

Finally, this excessive amount of smoke may be due to ether injection at start up (even more fuel, closer to stoich or even excess fuel). Ether injection into the intake is a cold diesel starting aid.

Black smoke is soot and PM emissions. Soot and PM emissions are found to be carcinogenic.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 02:57:17 PM »
Black smoke is soot and PM emissions. Soot and PM emissions are found to be carcinogenic.

Well, yeah, if you inhale.  So far Barry is the only one who ever admitted inhaling.

stay safe.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 03:31:54 PM »
I suspect that this is a 2-stroke (4-valve) diesel. In which case, it may not have efficient exhaust scavenging at start up with no boost, which hurts the afr.

Interesting info.  Thanks for posting it.

From what I can see of the locomotive, it appears to be a General Electric product, so it's most likely a 4-stroke design.

""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 04:06:44 PM »
This is the redneck equivalent of a gay pride parade
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 04:52:00 PM »
More shiny engines..

http://youtu.be/yAf6GScjiHo

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2012, 04:58:56 PM »
Interesting info.  Thanks for posting it.

From what I can see of the locomotive, it appears to be a General Electric product, so it's most likely a 4-stroke design.

Thanks, I wasn't sure since I am not able to recognize locomotives by appearance.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2012, 07:11:42 PM »
Looks like a Conrail yard engine. 

Can't tell the make/model, but I'll agree that it's probably a GE.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2012, 08:29:37 PM »
Never been behind/next to any diesel when it starts/begins to accelerate?  Or when some truck jockey pumps the "gas" pedal while idling?  Never looked at the exhaust pipe of a diesel auto and wondered why it had all that black gunk?

I used to be a Bradley dismount and a driver. Does that count? How about the skid-loader we use at work?

Never seen any smoke like that, though.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife