Author Topic: I thought that was what the Public Health Service was for  (Read 996 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
I thought that was what the Public Health Service was for
« on: November 23, 2012, 09:27:37 PM »
http://tinyurl.com/ad77hmh

As Richmond officials look for ways to help the city's residents become healthier, one idea is to take advantage of neighborhood schools as a location for services.

Advocates want to see privately run medical office suites in city schools, staffed by doctors and nurses, and open to anybody in the neighborhood seeking medical care. ....

"You are seeing, at least on our campuses, a breed of students who understand that it's a societal privilege to become a physician, dentist, biomedical scientist, public health professional," Riley said.

Dr. John E. Maupin Jr., a dentist and president of the Morehouse School of Medicine, said offering doctors special deals and financial arrangements to set up practices in urban areas won't be enough to keep them there in the long term.

"Our training and our activity is not to just carry somebody and pluck them into our neighborhoods, give them everything you can give them," Maupin said. "When you do that, they are going to fail, because they wouldn't have been able to recognize what it takes to sustain" the practice going forward.

There are places in the inner cities that make some of the Indian reservations look like oases of health care

But seriously, do you really want to put health care providers in public schools?  Two of a myriad of concerns that do not seem to be addressed in this utopian welfare dream:
- health care providers write prescriptions and certain elements of society are more than eager to obtain prescription pads by any means necessary.  This means making schools magnets for those persons.
- health care centers tend to attract sick people.  Is it responsible to expose students to these sick people?  (Surely there is no plan to build additional facilities on the school grounds - the cities can't afford to build sufficient classroom space.  If there are funds for health care facilities but not classrooms there needs to be a long talk with whoever is in charge of handing out money.)

I have long advocated for medical school graduates to be allowed to enter the US Public Health Service and serve in the inner citiies as a means of "working off" student loans (National Student Defense Act, v.2.x?).  With the coming changes in healthcare administration and payment for services there would be little, if any, lag in setting up in private practice as a means to the accumulation of wealth.  As a member of the Public Health Service a doctor/nurse/technician could live in barracks and at least be fairly certain of housing and food even though the pay differential might look like it sucks.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: I thought that was what the Public Health Service was for
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 10:06:15 PM »
I am doing some occasional work for a chain of Federally Qualified Health Centers (FQHC), usually known as Community Health Centers, Migrant Health Centers or something similar.  They exist to provide primary care to the medically underserved or in areas of healthcare provider shortages.  If you work in a critical healthcare provider category, such as physician, dentist or pharmacist and you have Federal school loans, you can work them off by working at such a Center.  Other alternatives include the military, the Indian Health Service, etc.  The FQHC are often seen as more attractive candidates for loan repayment since they pay at market rates and are often in urban or suburban areas that offer a better quality of life as opposed to the Rez in South Dakota.  Most of these Centers operate in dedicated clinics.  I have certainly seen proposals to have healthcare outreach, screening, etc. in public school buildings as a way of making care more accessible to the neighborhood population.  This can work really well in densely-populated urban environments.

The US Public Health Service, other than the Indian Health Service division, does very little any more in the ways of hands-on care.  They are primarily in administrative and research roles right now.

http://bphc.hrsa.gov/about/

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 10:12:25 PM »
Put clinics in Walmarts.  After all, they're ubiquitous. 
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 10:20:53 PM »
If that's the standard, how about putting clinics in Starbucks?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2012, 10:54:10 PM »

A lot of them already have them. Usually staffed by an NP. Generally just for stuff like flu shots, ear infections, or you finally decide you can't stand the strep burning in your throat, but don't want an ER bill.
I promise not to duck.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 10:56:46 PM »
How about using licensed Nurse Practitioners for school nurses instead of a RN or LVN?  NP's can practice routine medicine (not surgery) and write scripts (probably not narcotics.)  No, I haven't thought this through, why do you ask?
"It's good, though..."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2012, 11:19:51 PM »
How about using licensed Nurse Practitioners for school nurses instead of a RN or LVN?  NP's can practice routine medicine (not surgery) and write scripts (probably not narcotics.)  No, I haven't thought this through, why do you ask?

There are some larger school districts that run student health clinics in high schools that follow this very model.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.