Author Topic: Teachers Union President  (Read 1093 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Teachers Union President
« on: May 23, 2021, 08:38:29 AM »
Man, this woman must have the worst PR / Twitter staff on the planet. Every statement she makes on the covid seems designed to piss off people across the political spectrum, and certainly doesn't help the reputation of teachers.

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2021/05/22/aft-president-randi-weingarten-says-we-have-to-find-a-way-to-repair-and-nourish-tired-and-exhausted-teachers/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Teachers Union President
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2021, 04:11:45 PM »
A long time ago, some wise person said, "Those who can ... do. Those who can't ... teach."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2021, 04:19:20 PM »
I hear McDonald's is hiring if sitting at home is too exhausting.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

griz

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2021, 07:37:20 PM »
Am I being too cynical to think that what will be required to "repair and nourish" those tired teachers is more money?

By the way, in my state the teachers got to be first in line for the vaccine, then protested that they didn't want to open the school buildings until the kids were vaccinated.  That seems a dishonorable position to me.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2021, 07:42:06 PM »
Am I being too cynical to think that what will be required to "repair and nourish" those tired teachers is more money?

You're just familiar with the usual pattern
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2021, 09:12:45 PM »

By the way, in my state the teachers got to be first in line for the vaccine, then protested that they didn't want to open the school buildings until the kids were vaccinated.  That seems a dishonorable position to me.

Not cynical enough...what will also be required to “repair and renourish” is more money for said unions and their presidents and administrative personnel plus kickbacks for school administrators and local politicians.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

griz

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2021, 09:59:24 PM »
It's encouraging to know my cynicism isn't misplaced!

But that aside, it always bugs me when reporters say or imply that the teachers unions are doing this or that for the sake of the students interests.  They are obviously and openly not.  The teachers union represents the teachers interest.  Any overlap may be welcome, but it's still coincidental.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2021, 10:28:08 PM »
I hear McDonald's is hiring if sitting at home is too exhausting.

It's hard to get up and going again after a year in the Caribbean.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2021, 12:08:58 AM »
I understand joining a union if that is the best way to feed your family. That said I regard all union people from shop steward on up as at best hostile and more accurately enemy troops.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2021, 01:51:51 PM »
Powerful teachers union influenced CDC on school reopenings, emails show
https://nypost.com/2021/05/01/teachers-union-collaborated-with-cdc-on-school-reopening-emails/

The American Federation of Teachers lobbied the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on, and even suggested language for, the federal agency’s school-reopening guidance released in February.

The powerful teachers union’s full-court press preceded the federal agency putting the brakes on a full re-opening of in-person classrooms, emails between top CDC, AFT and White House officials show.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.