Author Topic: Survivorman  (Read 6040 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: Survivorman
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2012, 10:06:44 PM »
Ray actually makes a decent meal...as do many sharks.
the key to sharks is to disembowel them immediately.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2012, 10:09:49 PM »
Ray actually makes a decent meal...as do many sharks.
the key to sharks is to disembowel them immediately.

I've wondered about both. But when I've brought it up I've gotten those looks. You know. The "are you stupid?" looks. Good to know.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2012, 10:27:11 PM »
Shark I'm not big on. Ray has a good bit of usable meat in the wings.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2012, 10:47:13 PM »
Well, at least he's not Bear, walking away from his parachute and then two hours later trying to improvise shade in 120 deg heat or make a rope out of vines and such. Yeah I get that the helo lands and picks up his chute while dropping off camera dude, but still WTF? I can always learn something from either of them, I like Les Stroud better because he does not take insane risks with touchy stuff like gravity such as Bear does. I think all these shows over-emphasize food. Not even something to think about unless you think you will be stranded for longer than 4 days. 35 ways to get water? Hell yeah!
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2012, 11:03:15 PM »
Mako shark is really good. Right up there with Swordfish, or a really high quality tuna steak. Sharks are comprised of something north of 500 distinct species. I imagine some taste better than others.
I promise not to duck.

MrsSmith

• friend
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2012, 12:45:24 AM »
I've caught a lot of black tip sharks. They're pretty small. Can't imagine the meat being all that tender given how muscular they are. But they'll take any bait and in a survival situation, that's a good thing.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2012, 02:53:21 AM »
What kind of critters do you have where you live?

All kinds, some are supposedly tasty.
If tshtf we would have lots of wild horse.
We have Deer/antelope/wild sheep.
Smaller game is Chuckar ( a local game bird, I've had some a friend deep fried) and some other game birds.
tons of rabbits/snakes/lizards - they would be easy to catch in survival situations.
Several fur species like lion/bobcats/lynxx
Even though its the desert we also have fish/frogs too!
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2012, 08:11:45 AM »
I also like all of these shows.  Les Stroud's show is probably more realistic, but it is certainly not very exciting as entertainment.  I refer to him as the "starving man".  Gryllls takes too many risks which I think he does for the entertainment value.  But I still think he is the real deal.  He caught a lot of flack when it was discovered publically that he was motelling it verus sleeping out in the wild as presented in the show.  But the show is still pretty instructional overall.  Mykel Hawke is pretty good overall and I look forward to his new show on the Outdoor Channel.  He does know this stuff and takes a very realistic approach to survival.  Dual Survival (Cody Lundin and Dave Canterbury) was an okay show.  I got tired of the macho stuff Canterbury chose to do for entertainment value.  He of course is gone from the show when it was discovered that he totally mis-represented himself.  Lundin is the real deal and especially good in desert environments.  I like the instructional scenes the most from Dual Survival.

Food gathering in the wild can be very difficult.  I suspect I would starve.  A 22 rifle would really come in handy.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2012, 11:03:46 AM »
Food gathering in the wild can be very difficult.

Unless it is deep winter or you are injured (in which food gathering is going to be mostly impossible anyway), I can't imagine too many places outside of Alaska or the Amazon where you can't just walk out in a few hours or at least a day or two.

Even in Montana it is hard to find someplace where you could walk in one general direction for a couple days without running into a road or a ranch.

Okay, so you're lost - ever heard of following watercourses (even a dry one will do) downstream until you hit some sort of civilization  ???

I suppose that it might be interesting to walk into the bush nekked for a weekend survival exercise  :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2012, 11:52:50 AM »
Unless it is deep winter or you are injured (in which food gathering is going to be mostly impossible anyway), I can't imagine too many places outside of Alaska or the Amazon where you can't just walk out in a few hours or at least a day or two.

Even in Montana it is hard to find someplace where you could walk in one general direction for a couple days without running into a road or a ranch.

Okay, so you're lost - ever heard of following watercourses (even a dry one will do) downstream until you hit some sort of civilization  ???

I suppose that it might be interesting to walk into the bush nekked for a weekend survival exercise  :lol:
True, but the problem isn't b line distance.

THe problem is getting turned around or of course.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

MrsSmith

• friend
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2012, 11:57:32 AM »
I also like all of these shows.  Les Stroud's show is probably more realistic, but it is certainly not very exciting as entertainment.  I refer to him as the "starving man".  Gryllls takes too many risks which I think he does for the entertainment value.  But I still think he is the real deal.  He caught a lot of flack when it was discovered publically that he was motelling it verus sleeping out in the wild as presented in the show.  But the show is still pretty instructional overall.  Mykel Hawke is pretty good overall and I look forward to his new show on the Outdoor Channel.  He does know this stuff and takes a very realistic approach to survival.  Dual Survival (Cody Lundin and Dave Canterbury) was an okay show.  I got tired of the macho stuff Canterbury chose to do for entertainment value.  He of course is gone from the show when it was discovered that he totally mis-represented himself.  Lundin is the real deal and especially good in desert environments.  I like the instructional scenes the most from Dual Survival.

Food gathering in the wild can be very difficult.  I suspect I would starve.  A 22 rifle would really come in handy.

Never heard of Mykel Hawke but will definitely look him up now. My first thought was that because he's on the Outdoor Channel and not one of the "mainstream" channels, it might be worth watching.
I hadn't heard about Dave Canterbury's misrepresenting himself. Let me guess, not quite as much military background as he let on? That was my thought when I first watched the show. Having spent an awful lot of time with the real deal, he came across more as a wannabe. The whining, the inability to be more of a team player, and just his tactics. I chalked it up to the fact that he had to work with Lundin, an obvious hippy, who probably smells. Though as distasteful as I find Lundin, he does know his *expletive deleted*it and I did learn a few things.

I still don't think food gathering in the wild would be difficult. But I ate as much wild game as domestic meat when I was a kid, had skinned my first squirrel at the age of four, caught my first fish at six, and grew up in a rather hardscrabble environment. Starving in the wilderness honestly doesn't concern me - if I have at least some gear, preferably a .22 rifle and a rod with spinning reel. And a knife.

As to getting lost. I agree with Tallpine. If you have half a brain, you can walk out of most places. I'll concede to getting confused at times with regard to having the wrong mindset. I have to stop and think here because the ocean is in the wrong place, and had trouble in Ohio because the river flowed west, not east like the Savannah. But once I stop and clear my head, it's easy. I've never been lost - there've been times when I had to figure out where I was, but did so quickly. That's also why my first priority when I'm in a new location is to study a map and commit the lay of the land to memory. Everyone laughs at me for it. "Why do you want a map? You have GPS on your phone, or just look at Google maps on your computer." Nope. I want to see the big picture then turn it on it's side and see it from ground level, if that makes sense. The only places I could see myself having trouble are in a vast desert with an unbroken landscape (but I'd still have the sun and stars/moon), or in a place like the Grand Canyon or some of the rocky landscapes in West Texas where there are fewer waterways. And the biggest danger there would be morale because I've never found those landscapes inviting and I'm fully aware of how vast it is. It could begin to seem hopeless after a time if I didn't keep a firm grip on my attitude.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2012, 01:26:55 PM »

Northern Nevada is one of the few places where walking out will get you killed unless you're really really good and well prepared. Just a month or two ago two men out for a sunday drive got stranded in an isolated area - one stayed with the car and lived the other walked and died., last year in March I believe I posted a story of a canadian couple who tried to use a dirt road and got stuck, she nearly died from starvation he walked and was never seen again. Where I live you can see lights off in the distance, its a gold mine 60 or so miles away, if one was lost out here and attempted to walk there without carrying lots of water - you'd never make it - but out here the smart thing to do would be climb a hill and see if there are any close lights, the couple were 14 miles away from a ranch - but didn't know. They didn't know about survival at all, instead of a fire for warmth/signal she ran the car until it ran out of gas and never figured out how to start a fire. She was near a creek with fish/frogs and nearly starved to death - heck after a couple of days without food I would be eating roasted grasshopper and every bug.

Being that Mrs Smith wasn't there I would be roasting the mice les stroud style
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

brimic

• friends
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2012, 01:35:15 PM »
Rock Bass and Sand Trout

^rock bass^
good eating.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2012, 01:49:04 PM »
Well, at least he's not Bear, walking away from his parachute and then two hours later trying to improvise shade in 120 deg heat or make a rope out of vines and such. Yeah I get that the helo lands and picks up his chute while dropping off camera dude, but still WTF? I can always learn something from either of them, I like Les Stroud better because he does not take insane risks with touchy stuff like gravity such as Bear does. I think all these shows over-emphasize food. Not even something to think about unless you think you will be stranded for longer than 4 days. 35 ways to get water? Hell yeah!

Bear is a joke, and dangerous.  Free running through Moab? Jumping in a frigid fast running river? Swimming under a logjam in a slot canyon? Priceless stupidity.
Oh and when he jumped in that river in the sierras you can clearly see he is wearing a life jacket under his clothes.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2012, 02:05:14 PM »
Bear is a joke, and dangerous.  Free running through Moab? Jumping in a frigid fast running river? Swimming under a logjam in a slot canyon? Priceless stupidity.
Oh and when he jumped in that river in the sierras you can clearly see he is wearing a life jacket under his clothes.
Yep. I honestly think he takes a look at something and comes up with several possible options.

He then picks the one that is most likely to kill, main, or seriously injure. All, or course, are bad juju when trying to survive while making it to town or to be found and rescued. But then, that option is usually the most entertaining...

I literally lost count of the number of times I was yelling at the TV that he was a jackass. I particularly like the several times he's jumped off a cliff or waterfall into water below that is (presumably, assuming a survival situation) of unknown depth and hazards. Sure, walking around and down might eat up time and suck a bit but it's better then breaking a leg when you jump 30 feet down into two feet of water and land on a freaking boulder. I also particularly liked the "lets slide down the snow on this big ass mountain and use just this ice ax to make sure we don't go to fast while trying to dodge these boulders poking through the snow! WHHEEEEEEEE!" Alaska episode.