Author Topic: Survivorman's Secrets of Survival  (Read 1489 times)

Sergeant Bob

• friend
Survivorman's Secrets of Survival
« on: September 14, 2013, 05:34:19 PM »
"Survivorman's Secrets of Survival" is showing on the Science Channel over about the next two weeks.
It encompasses three different categories, Fire, Water and Shelter with an hour of "how to" on each subject.
Much of it has already been shown on the regular Survivorman series but this series bundles them into one hour segments with extensive demonstrations of each.

The schedule is as follows:

Fire:  Sun 9/15 @4 am
         Sun 9/22 @7 pm
         Mon 9/23 @2 am
         Fri   9/27 @7 pm

Shelter:  Fri 9/20 @9 pm
              Sat 9/21 @12 am
              Sun 9/22 @4 am

Water  Fri 9/20 @10 pm
           Sat 9/21 @1 am
           Sun 9/22 @5 am.

Check it out, it's a very informative series!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Survivorman's Secrets of Survival
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 05:46:06 PM »
Thanks for the heads up - gonna check it out!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 08:08:03 PM »
Available online?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 08:14:38 PM »
Caught the Shelter episode.  Definitely worth the time.  Good information.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 12:16:16 PM »
might check it out.

the guy from dual survival used to have a YouTube channel called the Pathfinder school or something

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 01:20:58 PM »
The biggest takeaway from his secrets compilation shows is that PRACTICE is key, when you're NOT lost, NOT cold, NOT thirsty, NOT hungry, so you're not wasting hours... days maybe trying to figure out these things, and the infinite combination of details that can befuddle you when you are lost, cold, thirsty, and hungry...

His first attempt at a fire-bow in the wild, vs. ten years later when he had it down to a few minutes was telling. And he was already something of an expert during that first example they showed.
I promise not to duck.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2013, 01:56:49 PM »
might check it out.

the guy from dual survival used to have a YouTube channel called the Pathfinder school or something

He still does.  Dave Canterbury.  More good stuff.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2013, 02:26:05 PM »
Update on the series!

Food  Fri 9/27 @10pm
         Sat 9/28 @1am
         Sun 9/29 @5am
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2013, 02:32:27 PM »
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2013, 02:42:16 PM »
Dammit! Forgot to set the DVR after the OP. Setting it on the phone right now before i forget.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

brimic

• friends
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2013, 02:56:58 PM »
The biggest takeaway from his secrets compilation shows is that PRACTICE is key, when you're NOT lost, NOT cold, NOT thirsty, NOT hungry, so you're not wasting hours... days maybe trying to figure out these things, and the infinite combination of details that can befuddle you when you are lost, cold, thirsty, and hungry...

His first attempt at a fire-bow in the wild, vs. ten years later when he had it down to a few minutes was telling. And he was already something of an expert during that first example they showed.

I've never got a firebow to work myself. I've even tried chucking up a spindle in a drill press which illustrated to me how much effort it would take to get smoke, let alone an ember. Discouraging is an understatement.

My son and I were able to start fires with swedish firesteels, but even that was not exactly easy.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2013, 03:04:50 PM »
I've never got a firebow to work myself. I've even tried chucking up a spindle in a drill press which illustrated to me how much effort it would take to get smoke, let alone an ember. Discouraging is an understatement.

My son and I were able to start fires with swedish firesteels, but even that was not exactly easy.

I've done a bow drill fire exactly once. My other attempts were, as you say, discouraging. I've almost always, except with pretty wet fixins' had good luck with metal matches (I think the same as Swedish steel) and magnesium blocks.

I was reading somewhere, can't remember where on the Internet, where some apparently fairly well known "survival expert" was saying bow drills really aren't hard, almost like you have to be an idiot not to succeed. I'm inclined to believe Les, and even though I may in fact be an idiot, my own experience.