Author Topic: Suspended For 30 Mins  (Read 2840 times)

wmenorr67

• friend
Suspended For 30 Mins
« on: May 21, 2015, 03:05:56 PM »
https://www.yahoo.com/parenting/should-this-high-schooler-have-been-suspended-for-119531735792.html

It isn't so much the suspension, bogus, but a comment made by the principal that I think is a joke.

Principal Tyler Telford told Yahoo Parenting he couldn’t discuss the specifics of the suspension due to the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, but said that “the best thing a parent can do for their child is support a teacher and the school.”

No the best thing a parent can do for their child is to support them and teach them to think for themselves and not be mindless turds.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
Re: Suspended For 30 Mins
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 03:33:16 PM »
No the best thing a parent can do for their child is to support them and teach them to think for themselves and not be mindless turds.

Very much so.  I was a lousy lier to my parents, they knew when I was being truthful.  I laid things out to my parents honestly when I got into trouble at school.  I didn't cause trouble deliberately, but I did have a limit to my tolerance for bullies, so I tended to get into a fight once a year.  They preferred I stood up to myself, and the fight kept the bullying down, so while I had to take the school punishment, I didn't get any more at home.

Reading the article, the teacher sounds like he's on a power trip.  Last half hour of school?  That's just silly.  Matter of fact, assuming some growth, even if the dress wasn't acceptable that day, it was probably acceptable per the rules earlier in the year.

Of course, the linked prom dress thing irks me because it met the published requirements.  No midriff showing from looking in a mirror, and it specifically said backless was acceptable.  I'd sue for my money back AND the cost of the dress.

https://www.yahoo.com/parenting/prom-dress-sparks-debate-for-being-too-revealing-117698417467.html

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 03:58:04 PM »
Reay admits that her dress may have been an inch or two short of that, but says she was focused on wearing a dress that made her feel like she could conquer the world.

Her words

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 04:00:40 PM »
The dress was against the dress code.

The teacher was dumb for making it an issue in the last hour of school.

So, he was in the right, but this was not a battle that should have been fought.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 04:02:40 PM »
The dress looks a hell of a lot more decent than what most high school girls are wearing these days.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 04:15:57 PM »
Yes she violated the dress code. Perhaps the teacher should have used a little discretion, as the other teachers throughout her day apparently did.

Looking at that picture, if that dress violates their dress code, they might want to look at that dress code a little closer. That looks like a church dress to me.

• friends
Re:
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 04:47:11 PM »
She made a deliberate choice and stand. It had consequences.  Might be most important thing she learns in school.
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2015, 04:48:14 PM »
Rules are som,etimes stupid.  I would not consider "touching the top of the kneecap" an egregiously stupid rule although it is outdated regarding current styles that are still considered demure.

The kid knew, getting dressed that morning, that she was violating a possibly stupid rule that she had apparently lived with all school year long without challenging.

What happens tomorrow (figuratively speakinng) when on the first day of employment she decides to flaut an employer's rule because she wanted to 'feel good about herself"?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re:
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2015, 05:35:21 PM »
She made a deliberate choice and stand. It had consequences.  Might be most important thing she learns in school.

A very good point indeed. Have the courage of your convictions and accept what follows from that.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MechAg94

• friend
Re:
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2015, 06:15:24 PM »
A very good point indeed. Have the courage of your convictions and accept what follows from that.
Knowing and Accepting the consequences is the important part of that.  If I chose to carry concealed at work, I would be violating company policy and could be fired immediately if discovered.  However, if I chose to accept that for personal safety reasons, then it is on me at least in part.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2015, 06:23:05 PM »
Alluring, which is what girls are supposed to be, but not outrageous.

If it were white, it wouldn't be half as bad/good as some wedding dresses I've seen.

But I wouldn't be able to dance too close to her.

My first inclination if I were that principal, would be to let it go, but would've liked to talk to the complainant first to explain that a lot of these things were a matter of personal opinion to see where that would take us.  I 'spect most of the problem arose with the girl's very nice shape, and if it were "Bony Barbara" wearing it, it wouldn't be a problem.

I also might have suspended her, but purely as a symbolic gesture... as I think the 1/2 hour at the end of the school day was, to placate the complainant.  Maybe there was some wisdom in that "suspension" after all.

But I don't see why an issue like this deserved all the yipping and yapping and ki-yi-ing... which I have just done, too.

Terry
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

• friends
Re:
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2015, 06:25:06 PM »
I will also note that her defense on getting in teachers face was that she was 4 feet away. Perhaps I am old fashioned but I consider the offense to be related to a defiant  tude rather physical proximity and so I considered her defense disingenuous at best and dishonest at worst. My teen tried that with me. Once

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2015, 05:25:42 PM »
Yes she violated the dress code. Perhaps the teacher should have used a little discretion, as the other teachers throughout her day apparently did.

Looking at that picture, if that dress violates their dress code, they might want to look at that dress code a little closer. That looks like a church dress to me.

Agreed. And, while her dress may have been in violation, she made it through the entire day up to 30 minutes before dismissal before being "caught," and the school thereupon did NOT follow the procedures spelled out in the student handbook. So the school and the administration have taught this young lady a valuable lesson: People in Power (PIPs) never play by the rules. Rules apply to serfs, not to overlords.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2015, 05:51:55 PM »
When the teacher, Legrand Leavitt, told Reay to go home, she refused. “He said ‘do I need to call the superintendent?’ and I said ‘yes, and call my mom too,’” she says. Reay decided to call her mother directly, so she could bring the student an alternate outfit. According to the school handbook, “if a student is inappropriately dressed, he/she will be required to call home to arrange for appropriate clothing, or the school will provide a t-shirt, sweatshirt or sweatpants to be worn that day.”

So, IOW, there was a clearly spelled out procedure which the teacher refused to follow.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2015, 07:20:40 PM »
This one I chalk up to good hearted and good natured rebellion against the stupids.

A lot of school dress codes are stupid and the idiots writing them are even dumber.

Yes, the dress broke the rules. The girl was smart enough to use a dress that is going to make the school look stupid for the rule and make herself look like a smart good girl. The added bonus of the teacher stepping over the line in terms of disaplining her is the cherry on top of the sudae.

Sometimes rebellion isn't a bad thing.

And skid? 'Touching the top of the kneecap' ? Are you kidding? The fifties called. They want their skirts back. ;/
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2015, 07:25:42 PM »
Tell that to the school, Liz.

From thje linked article:
But that afternoon, with a half hour left in the school day, a teacher told her she had to go home because her dress was too short. According to the school handbook, “skirts, dresses, or other similar attire must extend at least to the top of the knee cap, from the front and from the back.”

Of course, figuring how to get the kneecap to the back of the leg ought to be quite interesting all by itself. :facepalm:

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2015, 07:52:26 PM »
Tell that to the school, Liz.

From thje linked article:
Of course, figuring how to get the kneecap to the back of the leg ought to be quite interesting all by itself. :facepalm:

stay safe.

It is egragriously stupid.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2015, 10:14:53 PM »
The kid knew, getting dressed that morning, that she was violating a possibly stupid rule that she had apparently lived with all school year long without challenging.

1.  Did she really know, or was the dress acceptable at the beginning of the year, and because she grew a couple inches, no longer acceptable?
2.  Had she worn the dress previously?
3.  Did she pay any attention at all, really, to the dress code rules?

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2015, 12:11:36 AM »
1.  Did she really know, or was the dress acceptable at the beginning of the year, and because she grew a couple inches, no longer acceptable?
2.  Had she worn the dress previously?
3.  Did she pay any attention at all, really, to the dress code rules?

Go ahead - blame the victim.

(I do, too.)

stay safe.