Author Topic: Suspected cellphone spying devices in DC.  (Read 391 times)

freakazoid

• friend
Suspected cellphone spying devices in DC.
« on: April 03, 2018, 08:18:41 PM »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/technology/apnewsbreak-dhs-finds-suspected-phone-spying-in-washington/2018/04/03/20e5e304-3769-11e8-af3c-2123715f78df_story.html?utm_term=.f97b79ab674c

Well this is pretty interesting. Besides the obvious spying part, it also sounds like a great way to perform identity theft.
The devices work by tricking mobile devices into locking onto them instead of legitimate cell towers, revealing the exact location of a particular cellphone. More sophisticated versions can eavesdrop on calls by forcing phones to step down to older, unencrypted 2G wireless technology. Some attempt to plant malware.
I'm curious on how they force malware on a phone, that sounds like something that has huge security breech potential.

Every embassy “worth their salt” has a cell tower simulator installed, Turner said. They use them “to track interesting people that come toward their embassies.” The Russians’ equipment is so powerful it can track targets a mile away, he said.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic