Author Topic: New book proposes reintegrating USAF into other services  (Read 2981 times)

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
Re: New book proposes reintegrating USAF into other services
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2014, 06:00:14 PM »
Let's not forget the former NAS Olathe, protecting all of Kansas' ports.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Re:
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2014, 10:19:12 PM »
I think Cape Canaveral should be under Navy jurisdiction. If a launch goes well, it's space research. If it doesn't, it's ASW practice.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2014, 03:27:32 AM »
Don't  forget NAS Fallon.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2014, 09:37:47 PM »
Outside of tradition, is there a compelling reason to even have distinct branches of the military?  If we were starting from scratch, wouldn't it be more reasonable to have a single military "branch" with sections that specialize in various tasks?  Each branch seems to field units that cross over into what are ostensibly the bailiwick of other branches, so it isn't as though only the air force can field aircraft, or only the army can field tanks.  Seems the branch structure we use tends to result in redundancy where it isn't useful.

I'm not sure I'm arguing against your idea but I suppose, to a point, having separate services ensures they are looking out for their own interests.  If we put an Infantry guy in charge of the combined DoD military he probably is not going to care much about funding and developing new ships.  A Surface Warfare guy would probably feel the same way about new tanks or non-carrier aircraft.

Though I agree we are a little too spread out right now.  Especially service specific camouflage uniforms.  Am I right?

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2014, 09:43:47 PM »
I'm not sure I'm arguing against your idea but I suppose, to a point, having separate services ensures they are looking out for their own interests.  If we put an Infantry guy in charge of the combined DoD military he probably is not going to care much about funding and developing new ships.  A Surface Warfare guy would probably feel the same way about new tanks or non-carrier aircraft.

Though I agree we are a little too spread out right now.  Especially service specific camouflage uniforms.  Am I right?

At the end of the day, though, we have that already once you get far enough up the chain.

Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog