Author Topic: That hooker sure witnesses a lot of murders  (Read 1815 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
That hooker sure witnesses a lot of murders
« on: July 30, 2014, 11:32:35 AM »
http://nypost.com/2014/04/10/disgraced-ex-cop-defends-his-record-in-das-investigation/

NYPD detective's old cases are reviewed after a man he helped wrongly convict of murder is released after 23 years. He has at least 50 (!!!) old homicide cases under review.

The latest botched case involves two stepbrothers convicted of a 1985 homicide largely because of a drug- ­addled hooker “witness” that Scarcella had used to bolster several of his cases.

The letter reveals that prosecutors were reluctant to make an arrest in the case without eyewitnesses — and that’s when Scarcella turned to Teresa Gomez, who has testified in five of his trials.

I believe it's actually six and this article just hasn't been updated.

So, dirty cop is dirty, obviously. I mean, he's an NYPD detective so that's like saying a Chicago mayor is dirty: firmly into the "well duh" category.

But what gets me is that no one in the DA's office noticed (or cared) that so many murder cases this guy worked had as the only real evidence the testimony of the same damn person. You'd think that'd be a clue. "Hmmm, every time this cop wants us to prosecute someone but doesn't have any evidence, this same person later turns up as a witness. Well, sounds legit to us!"

Apparently, the crackwhore's testimony was so screwed up and inconsistent, a defense attorney actually requested she get drug tested.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/brothers-cleared-wrongful-murder-convictions-article-1.1781869
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 11:38:37 AM by Balog »
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
Re: That hooker sure witnesses a lot of murders
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 11:45:53 AM »
http://nypost.com/2014/06/03/wrongful-17-year-conviction-ends-for-framed-brooklyn-man/

But an investigation by the Brooklyn DA’s Conviction Review Unit found that the witness who testified against Logan was actually in police custody the day she claimed to have seen Logan kill Gibbons.

Anyone want to bet on the odds of this detective or the ADA's who enabled him ever getting charged or doing jail time for all the people they locked in cages for decades in order to pad their resume? Hell, anyone want to bet on the odds they lose their pension and benefits?

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 11:48:00 AM »

brimic

• friends
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 12:10:46 PM »
There had to have  been  other cops that  knew  he was dirty  that never came forward, which means they endorsed his behavior.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 12:26:44 PM »
'There are eight million stories in the Naked City, all of them investigated by Detective Scarcella.'

I thought the LAPD had a bad rep ...... :facepalm:      [popcorn]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 01:18:49 PM »
There had to have  been  other cops that  knew  he was dirty  that never came forward, which means they endorsed his behavior.

It's endemic to the "profession". I no longer accept that ANY cop is really clean.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 01:53:53 PM »
Anyone want to bet on the odds of this detective or the ADA's who enabled him ever getting charged or doing jail time for all the people they locked in cages for decades in order to pad their resume? Hell, anyone want to bet on the odds they lose their pension and benefits?

On one hand, you don't want to prosecute judges, cops or prosecutors who are honestly doing their job. OTOH, when it's obvious and intentional, there should be an exemption to qualified immunity. Accountability would upset a lot of apple carts, I doubt it will ever gain traction.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

MechAg94

• friend
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2014, 03:54:56 PM »
“I would never let anything happen like that. You would have to be an animal and a devil to put a man away unjustifiably.”
I have little doubt he believed all those people were guilty.  He might be right.  Doesn't mean you can generate false evidence to support conviction though.  That crosses a line that shouldn't be crossed. 

Looking at the story, it sounds like there were issues of evidence not getting turned over as well which might point to the prosecutors involvement. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2014, 03:57:43 PM »
I have little doubt he believed all those people were guilty.  He might be right.  Doesn't mean you can generate false evidence to support conviction though.  That crosses a line that shouldn't be crossed. 

Looking at the story, it sounds like there were issues of evidence not getting turned over as well which might point to the prosecutors involvement. 

It'd be virtually impossible for them not to be. But no one will ever get touched, no one will ever be prosecuted, and a retired guy will get thrown under the bus but not so much as lose his pension.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2014, 04:20:51 PM »
Prosecutors are really a double-edged sword.

Elected, they can grandstand and railroad people for the sake of public opinion.

Appointed, they can be answerable to almost no one.

I promise not to duck.

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2014, 04:58:40 PM »
On one hand, you don't want to prosecute judges, cops or prosecutors who are honestly doing their job. OTOH, when it's obvious and intentional, there should be an exemption to qualified immunity. Accountability would upset a lot of apple carts, I doubt it will ever gain traction.

If they mess up, damn right prosecute them. No mercy, no immunity. I bet this cop and associated DA(s) are not in jail.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2014, 07:44:42 PM »

A long, long time ago, in New Haven, CT, a young woman named Penny Serra (Sera?) was murdered in a parking garage. The police were certain they had the perp -- he was arrested, questioned, released, brought back in for more questioning, released again. He was never convicted, but his life was ruined by the fact that the police were so certain he was their perp that they discounted all evidence to the contrary.

Something like 20 or 25 years later, by a complete fluke of coincidence, a cab driver from waterbury was arrested for something totally unrelated and his DNA swab came up as a match to a piece of evidence in the Penny Serra murder. He was charged, and I believe tried and convicted.

Yeah, the cops often have a high degree of certainty that they have the right guy. Unfortunately, they are often wrong, regardless of how certain they are. That's why our criminal justice system requires proof, not just suspicion, and that's why cops who fabricate evidence (or withhold exculpatory evidence) should be shot at dawn.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2014, 08:20:34 PM »
It's endemic to the "profession". I no longer accept that ANY cop is really clean.

I hate to admit it, but I'm heading that way, too.

I wuz brung up as a kid (in NYC) to believe that cops were your friends, but I'm drifting away from that notion.

Yeah, I know, all the good that the police do far outweighs the dirty tricks pulled, but wow, y' gotta wonder....

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2014, 12:18:00 AM »
A long, long time ago, in New Haven, CT, a young woman named Penny Serra (Sera?) was murdered in a parking garage. The police were certain they had the perp -- he was arrested, questioned, released, brought back in for more questioning, released again. He was never convicted, but his life was ruined by the fact that the police were so certain he was their perp that they discounted all evidence to the contrary.

Something like 20 or 25 years later, by a complete fluke of coincidence, a cab driver from waterbury was arrested for something totally unrelated and his DNA swab came up as a match to a piece of evidence in the Penny Serra murder. He was charged, and I believe tried and convicted.

Yeah, the cops often have a high degree of certainty that they have the right guy. Unfortunately, they are often wrong, regardless of how certain they are. That's why our criminal justice system requires proof, not just suspicion, and that's why cops who fabricate evidence (or withhold exculpatory evidence) should be shot at dawn.

We had something nearly the opposite happen here awhile back.  A man was railroaded into  a rape convuction, soent about 20 years in prison until the Innocence Project got him exonerate d on DNA evidence. It was roughly a year later that be brutally raped, murdered, dismembered and byrned the corpse of a young woman.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2014, 10:14:58 AM »
I hate to admit it, but I'm heading that way, too.

I wuz brung up as a kid (in NYC) to believe that cops were your friends, but I'm drifting away from that notion.

Yeah, I know, all the good that the police do far outweighs the dirty tricks pulled, but wow, y' gotta wonder....

I would simply say that they get no more assumption of goodness than anyone else.  It applies more since they are in a position of authority and control.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2014, 11:55:56 AM »

I would note that many LEOs at the city, county, and state levels have difficulty moving on up to the federales due failures on detector tests that examine their past conduct.  Which results in lots of federales hiring on as newbs and having little/no experience in the grittiest aspects of law enforcement.  From the outside lots of the "multi-jurisdictional task force" deals seem to be bankrolled and managed at the top by federales, but all the leg work / interface with criminal types & such is done by the locals.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2014, 01:13:08 PM »
If they mess up, damn right prosecute them. No mercy, no immunity. I bet this cop and associated DA(s) are not in jail.

QFT.  After all, if they're doing nothing wrong they have nothing to fear . . .
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2014, 12:09:47 AM »
That's a lot of unhappy endings.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2014, 08:27:30 AM »

"Do you know what you call normal citizens who do what police forces do? Accessories after the fact."
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila