Author Topic: Now the Russians Are Using Twitter Against Us  (Read 3197 times)

White Horseradish

• friend
Re: Now the Russians Are Using Twitter Against Us
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2014, 10:30:54 AM »
I'll say again: we will never know how Iraq might have turned out if we'd done it right.  
There never has been a way to do it right.

Attempts to forcibly build what you might think of as civilization in the Middle East have consistently failed. Unless and until enough people over there decide they want this kind of civilization, it ain't gonna happen.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2014, 12:23:02 PM »
There never has been a way to do it right.

Attempts to forcibly build what you might think of as civilization in the Middle East have consistently failed. Unless and until enough people over there decide they want this kind of civilization, it ain't gonna happen.
I accept that we didn't do it right, but I can not accept that "There never has been a way to do it right."  
Israel seems to have established a pretty respectable civilization in the middle east in spite of being under near constant attack by terrorist groups and neighbors who despise Jews.
Many of the political boundaries in the region are artificial and have been manipulated by the British... perhaps redrawing them (...AGAIN *sigh!*) more closely along ethnic lines might help.   Finding out how to redistribute profits from the region's oil production and other activities might be ... problematic. >:D

Quote from: Fitz
The iraqi police and army are full of cowards who frequently moved behind american positions instead of doing some ass kicking themselves. It's a mindset difference that's pretty significant.
But is it impossible to overcome?

It's a bit difficult to accept that Iraq is full of "cowards" and that there simply is NO ONE who is willing to step forward to the task?
However, I will say that since Fitz brought this up, I did hear it reported on Fox News' "O'Rielly Factor" that one reason ISIS was making such advances was that the soldiers defending Iraqi positions broke and ran.  Given ISIS is actually an "army" rather than a ragtag band of terrorists at this point, I am not saying I blame them.
O'Rielly is peeved that we aren't using air power to bomb ISIS as it advances, he claims this is possible (which I agree with) and he claims it shows the Iraqis they're not alone (which seems reasonable, though perhaps questionable).  
Those with military backgrounds may be better able to answer but isn't breaking and running in the face of danger something that can be addressed by better training?
If so then we didn't do a helluva lot  of training, it seems.

Anyhow, we're out, and it seems we're out "for good," and we're not going to do anything about ISIS, not even attack it from the air as Bill O'Rielly suggests.  Somehow the ISIS soldiers HAVE managed to be trained, or indoctrinated, or scared into, fighting ruthlessly and conquering.   Perhaps we should have let them train the Iraqis.  ooops.  Sorry, that was snarky.  And probably insulting too.  

Quote from: Fitz
Lots of folks are saying 'we didnt do it right, we should have done it right"

but so far, no one has been able to articulate what right in that situation would have looked like.

And, unfortunatly I guess I won't be the first one to do it.  
I do think one characteristic of "right" would have been staying longer.   Another would be dealing with ISIS in a ruthlessly effective manner (that right there seems to remove Obama from the equation, IMHO).  
I don't know how you take people who run from danger and turn them into people who will fight a ruthless enemy save maybe to point out just who and what they're supposedly defending:  wives, daughters, parents, sisters, brothers, grandparents....people they love?   IS that going to work?    Apparently trying to get them to fight for their way of life doesn't work as they have very little vested in that, from what I'm hearing.

If I can't figure out "what 'right' looks like" then all that amounts to is one more wise @$$ on the innernetz spewing opinions around like diamonds before swine.  
So what?
But I will say one more thing; if our political leaders in D.C. are either disinterested, detached elitists like Obama, or clueless jackwagons, who can't amongst all those DC think tanks and generals and professors, etc., figure out how to do it "right" we'd better start our defense programs up full-tilt again and keep our troops home, fighting these half-arsed wars and (I use the term advisedly) "nation building" is getting way too expensive esp. considering the far less than stellar outcomes.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 12:28:36 PM by TommyGunn »
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Re: Re: Now the Russians Are Using Twitter Against Us
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2014, 12:32:09 PM »
There really is no man in the world that is as overcompensatory as Putin is.  The Kremlin must be one giant super-amalgam of closets. 
Yeah not so much.  Putin is much more in touch with joe average around the globe or in russia than is bho.  What the effete in the west see as cone pone overcompensating buffoonery most on the globe see as reasonable strong man behavior.

If putin takes it to 11 check out chechnyas strong man.  He could give pres camacho a dun for his money.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2014, 12:59:06 PM »
Yeah not so much.  Putin is much more in touch with joe average around the globe or in russia than is bho.  What the effete in the west see as cone pone overcompensating buffoonery most on the globe see as reasonable strong man behavior.

If putin takes it to 11 check out chechnyas strong man.  He could give pres camacho a dun for his money.

This was part of my point in the OP. The ruskies seem to have beat us at our own Twitter game and in using our own memes. In the meantime, what's going on with our Twitter diplomacy? #Putin shaking in his boots yet? How about "#setourgirlsfree"? I guess it was good for a FLOTUS publicity photo, but that week has come and gone, and I guess we don't care about girls being raped and tortured this week.

We're using Twitter as a diplomatic tool, the Russians are making fun of us for it.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2014, 01:29:16 PM »
There really is no man in the world that is as overcompensatory as Putin is.  The Kremlin must be one giant super-amalgam of closets. 

Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2014, 02:03:22 PM »

Longest double tap ever. Congratulations sir.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2014, 02:45:42 PM »
I accept that we didn't do it right, but I can not accept that "There never has been a way to do it right."  
Israel seems to have established a pretty respectable civilization in the middle east in spite of being under near constant attack by terrorist groups and neighbors who despise Jews.
Many of the political boundaries in the region are artificial and have been manipulated by the British... perhaps redrawing them (...AGAIN *sigh!*) more closely along ethnic lines might help.   Finding out how to redistribute profits from the region's oil production and other activities might be ... problematic. >:D
But is it impossible to overcome?

The key here is "Israel did it". Yes, they had outside help, but the push was from within, from the people who actually live there, or came there and stayed. Same with Turkey - it was built to be a modern country because Turks wanted it.

In Iraq, and Afghanistan, and Central Asian ex-USSR countries the push to change was external. The people on the ground didn't want any of it, didn't start it, resisted it until the external control got overwhelming, and reverted as soon as this control weakened.

You are on the right track recognizing that the country boundaries are arbitrary. However, you don't go far enough.  It's not the ethnic or religious that matters most, you are still thinking too large. Family/clan allegiance is first, ethnic is second, religious maybe third, and country is somewhere after that. Iraq was essentially Saddam's family, that's why all the high posts were filled with his relatives.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2014, 03:34:54 PM »
I think agricola may not be as familiar with BHO's career of scandal, mendacity, incompetence, corruption, and just general haughty disdain for his nation, and its people. He probably can't understand just how divisive the man has purposed to be.

As a side note, since we're sorta comparing the last 2 administrations, I was thinking recently of the irony that Bush was derided for a lack of "curiosity," because he didn't read every newspaper article that some other people read. Now, the whiz-kid they chose to replace him hasn't the curiosity to know what goes on in his own executive branch.  :rofl:
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 03:40:26 PM by fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2014, 04:06:02 PM »
Iraq or no Iraq, Obama will be judged the worst president in history.

I'd list all of his disasters, but I don't have all night.

He's trying to edge out Grant for his pic on the $50 bill.
"It's good, though..."

agricola

• friend
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2014, 04:25:39 PM »
I think agricola may not be as familiar with BHO's career of scandal, mendacity, incompetence, corruption, and just general haughty disdain for his nation, and its people. He probably can't understand just how divisive the man has purposed to be.

You forget that we had Tony "Middle East Peace Envoy" Blair for ten years.  Anything Obama has done, Blair has done it worse.   
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2014, 04:32:02 PM »
Longest double tap ever. Congratulations sir.

We all have our talents.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2014, 04:54:23 PM »
You forget that we had Tony "Middle East Peace Envoy" Blair for ten years.  Anything Obama has done, Blair has done it worse.   

Perhaps, but you're probably not as familiar with the particulars of the administration of Mr. Obama. I fear it is worse than you know, and I suspect only Americans can really appreciate the man himself, and just why we loathe him so.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife