Author Topic: Boo, disappointed  (Read 2131 times)

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Boo, disappointed
« on: June 10, 2009, 11:00:48 PM »
Went to whatever the name of the Canadian company that bought SW stores today and walk by the ammo counter.  I got all excited for a second, there were lots and lots of boxes on the tables where they stash the centerfire plinking ammo!  Then I get close and they moved some of the 2 billion cases of estate trap and skeet loads they have to those tables.  Those bastards!

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: Boo, disappointed
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 05:26:55 AM »
I'm going to miss Sportsmans Warehouse in Roanoke. They opened about a year ago (maybe a bit longer) and closed it in May.  :(

Chris

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 09:25:24 AM »
Haven't had a chance to go by the former SW here in Portland (Now outdoor outfitters)...

We'll see what is out there.  Maybe this weekend.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 10:34:18 AM »
I wasn't aware that SW was going tango-uniform....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 10:41:00 AM »
I wasn't aware that SW was going tango-uniform....

Done and over with, many stores were closed.  The remainder were sold to a Canadian company.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 10:43:27 AM »
My experience with them was in Utah.  For guns and stuff they were a good shop, had a decent supply of fly fishing gear and local knoweledge.  Camping gear etc was cheaper elsewhere.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 11:13:02 AM by JamisJockey »
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 11:12:09 AM »
The only one I ever visited was in SW Va.  At the time, it was the best selection of reloading gear in the region.  SW and Gander Mtn opened at the same time.  The wrong one closed. :(

Chris

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2009, 11:13:42 AM »
Yeah not a Gander Mountain fan at all.  And after going into Green Top for the first time.....even Bass Pro is a joke....
JD

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2009, 11:29:27 AM »
Yup, Green Top is almost like a Cabelas and Bass Pro distilled down to their essence and poured into a too-small building. :D

Chris

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2009, 11:32:35 AM »
Yup, Green Top is almost like a Cabelas and Bass Pro distilled down to their essence and poured into a too-small building. :D

Chris

With grumpy old salesguys that really know what they are talking about and won't hesitate to share helpful knowledge.
JD

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2009, 11:48:58 AM »
Or SW in the southwest burbs of Milwaukee was the best gunstore going as well, save for a small selection of EBR's, and not handling C&R/milsurps.

But on handguns, ammo, accessories, cleaning, reloading they were great. It too was only about two years old or so...

=(
I promise not to duck.

erictank

• friends
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2009, 03:19:10 PM »
With grumpy old salesguys that really know what they are talking about and won't hesitate to share helpful knowledge.

Green Top rocks.  If I ever get to where I can start buying guns again (not likely for a long time, as the wife and I close on our new-to-us house on July 8th), I'm driving down there.  They've done right by me every time I bought from them.

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2009, 06:41:29 PM »
What's a Green Top? Any in the Roanoke, VA area??
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2009, 09:24:33 PM »
Green Tops is a family owned hunting and fishing store near Richmond.  It isn't a chain.

Bob, are you in Roanoke?  I went to HS there, as did my wife.  We get down there about every other month.

Chris

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2009, 08:00:25 AM »
What Chris said.  If you find yourself needing to go to Richmond, or headed to Kings Dominion, you must make time for a trip into Green Top.
I needed some heavy tackle spinning rods for the boat.  Wanted something specific, a dual drag "bait runner" style reel.  Bass Pro only had two types in that size.  Their tackle is pretty generic, too.  Not much walleye fishing around here, but you can find a complete section of walleye crap in there.  Headed 5 miles down the road to Green Top and nearly fainted.  Not only did they have a selection of reels that embarrassed BPS, but their tackle, fishing, and boating stuff is insane.  Big spools of braided line in multiple sizes and about $10 less than BPS (Bought 1500 yards of 40lb powerpro).  All kinds of stuff, stacked to the rafters.  Wandered into the hunting section.  Oh. My.  The used gun rack is a double tier rack, two sides, probably 40' long.  Big new gun counter.  Well staffed, there were 3 or 4 people just in the hunting section.  Had my kids with me, I didn't have time to browse.
JD