Author Topic: Emerging solar plants scorch birds in mid-air  (Read 4259 times)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Emerging solar plants scorch birds in mid-air
« on: August 18, 2014, 04:45:18 PM »
http://www.foxnews.com/science/2014/08/18/california-weighing-bird-deaths-from-concentrated-solar-plants-as-it-considers/

Solar plant that has more than 300,000 mirrors (each the size of a garage door) that reflect solar rays onto 3 boiler towers.  This plant is killing birds that fly through the plant's concentrated sun rays.  The workers at the plant have nicknamed the birds "streamers" for the smoke plume that comes from the birds that ignite in midair.

Federal wildlife investigators who visited the BrightSource Energy plant last year and watched as birds burned and fell, reporting an average of one "streamer" every two minutes, are urging California officials to halt the operator's application to build a still-bigger version.

The investigators want the halt until the full extent of the deaths can be assessed. Estimates per year now range from a low of about a thousand by BrightSource to 28,000 by an expert for the Center for Biological Diversity environmental group.

One of the backers of this plant is Google. According to the article that pilots flying in and out of Las Vegas and Los Angeles are dazzled by the reflected light from the mirros.

The backers now want to build a larger plant that is on a flight path for birds between the Colorado River and the Salton Sea (CA's largest lake.)

Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

birdman

• friend
Re: Emerging solar plants scorch birds in mid-air
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 04:52:06 PM »
When it comes to powering the country's grids, "diversity of technology ... is critical," Conroy said. "Nobody should be arguing let's be all coal, all solar," all wind, or all nuclear. "And every one of those technologies has a long list of pros and cons.

Um.  Yes, people do argue it should be all nuclear.  Those people can be described as "able to do math"

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 04:59:25 PM »
Why is this news today?  The fact that birds have been disoriented by solar collector mirrors (and getting flash fried) has been known for quite a while.

stay safe.

darned typo
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

onions!

• friend
  • Space for rent.
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 05:07:11 PM »
There's a KFC joke in there somewhere.
jeff w

I like onions!

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Re: Re: Emerging solar plants scorch birds in mid-air
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 05:08:23 PM »
Um.  Yes, people do argue it should be all nuclear.  Those people can be described as "able to do math"
I'll concede and allow for some coal plants as well.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 07:22:04 PM »

One of the backers of this plant is Google. According to the article that pilots flying in and out of Las Vegas and Los Angeles are dazzled by the reflected light from the mirros.

No, not at all. I've flown over it many times and it does not dazzle me or anyone else. I've looked directly at the mirrors without any adverse effects.

The mirrors have a pretty short focal length.  When the reflected sunlight misses the tower, the beam spreads rapidly enough that it doesn't affect us at higher altitudes.  I have a few photos that I will upload to show what it looks like.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

onions!

• friend
  • Space for rent.
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 07:30:57 PM »
No, not at all. I've flown over it many times and it does not dazzle me or anyone else. I've looked directly at the mirrors without any adverse effects.

The mirrors have a pretty short focal length.  When the reflected sunlight misses the tower, the beam spreads rapidly enough that it doesn't affect us at higher altitudes.  I have a few photos that I will upload to show what it looks like.

Do you have any of Area 51 or Groom Lake that you could share?
jeff w

I like onions!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Re: Re: Emerging solar plants scorch birds in mid-air
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2014, 07:33:51 PM »
Yeah you only rent the power produced at that plant.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2014, 07:50:37 PM »

Hey Don Quixote, just give up and come join us at INTJ Galt's Gulch, because "people able to do math" are a dying breed. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2014, 08:05:00 PM »

Butbutbut TEH FEELZ! CHERNOBYL! CHINA SYNDROME! MMMMEEEELLLLTTTTTDDDDOOOWWWWNNNN!

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2014, 08:17:02 PM »
Do you have any of Area 51 or Groom Lake that you could share?

Sure, but they are boring. Lots of sand.

BTW, I can't find those other photos.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2014, 08:29:30 PM »
Sure, but they are boring. Lots of sand.

All those underground bunkers, you know  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2014, 08:32:51 PM »

"Regular or Extra Crispy?"
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2014, 08:48:21 PM »

But then they're forgetting variables.  I want to keep the hydro-electric dams going, for one thing.  A certain amount of wind and solar is also good.  Solar panels hooked up to run AC systems for the daytime load, for example.

They're going to have to enact the same sort of anti-bird measures they have around major airports.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2014, 09:51:10 PM »
They're going to have to enact the same sort of anti-bird measures they have around major airports.

Sounds like this solar plant would be a good anti-bird measure to have around an airport  >:D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

birdman

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2014, 09:57:19 PM »
But then they're forgetting variables.  I want to keep the hydro-electric dams going, for one thing.  A certain amount of wind and solar is also good.  Solar panels hooked up to run AC systems for the daytime load, for example.

No, they aren't.
Wind, solar, dams, all take up more (a lot more) space than an equivalent amount of nuclear power.
I'm for nuclear because I want as little land possible covered with our crap.
We have one earth, why cover it with excess stuff that costs more?

Hey Don Quixote, just give up and come join us at INTJ Galt's Gulch, because "people able to do math" are a dying breed. :)

I'll join after I have a few hundred million lying around.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2014, 11:08:15 PM »
No, they aren't.

Dams do a lot more than just provide power; they also prevent flooding for the most part.

As for solar taking up more space - it's easy to dual purpose, just put them on roofs, use them as car ports/shades, etc... 

As a bonus, since most installs provide a touch more insulation by preventing the sun from hitting the roof directly it helps lower AC requirements as well as provide electricity. Now if only the panels and other required stuff didn't cost so much...  Though I'll note that they have AC's today designed to utilize the power from solar panels directly, without a costly and not 100% efficient inverter.  Only sacrifice is that if the sun isn't out it doesn't run unless you have batteries.  It still covers a lot of territory where you don't typically need AC at night anyways.

I'm for nuclear because I want as little land possible covered with our crap.
We have one earth, why cover it with excess stuff that costs more?

Don't get me wrong, I'm for nuclear as well, it's just that as a safety thing I don't want 100% nuclear.  Something like 50% nuclear, 20% solar, 15% hydro, 10% wind, and 5% 'other' would work nicely.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2014, 02:12:32 AM »
Screw wind power.  Nukular plus gas/coal with dams where also needed for flood control.  Multiple sources are good for a variety of reasons.  But, anything else is boondoggle territory.
Formerly sumpnz

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2014, 07:41:26 AM »
Wind farms are a blight on the landscape IMHO.

If we want a stable reliable grid for the future we need to start burying our power lines and ramping up construction of new nuclear power plants. All other sources of power are just gravy then.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

erictank

• friends
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2014, 09:29:48 AM »

Well, technically, we ought to have some capacity in plants better suited for peak loading, while nuclear carries the baseload. Current NRC-approved nuke plants aren't great with the big swings in peak loading you commonly see.

But there's no reason we shouldn't have nukes scattered all over this country handling baseload, and different sorts of peaking plants where the different types make sense. Hell, the only way solar's going to get better is if we keep working on it. Solar in sunny places, hydro in places with suitable rivers and reservoirs (most of which, in the US, already have dams in place, IIRC), wind in windy places, clean gas and coal where we must have more power. I don't see a huge reason to cut ANYTHING out, out of hand. Wind and solar aren't going to be carrying baseload for decades to centuries, if ever (solar's only going to make it if we get to space and use powersats for everything up there, IMO; wind? Probably never), but in places where it makes sense to use it as a supplement? Why not? There might be REASONS why the owner might want a windmill generator onsite, or to put solar panels on the roof. Or a farm of either, or both - if it makes sense to him.

Concur with burying power lines, and getting new nuke plants underway, though. And working hard on making fusion work!

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2014, 10:34:17 AM »
Haven't found any videos of the bird meteors yet.  =|
I promise not to duck.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2014, 10:47:27 AM »
Haven't found any videos of the bird meteors yet.  =|

So it's a.....
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2014, 11:07:38 AM »
Wind power is unreliable and only cost effective with big subsidies.  You really don't want that as a significant % of your power supply.  To me, it is a niche supply only.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2014, 11:08:57 AM »
My favorite for future energy is fusion power, which is only 30 years away . . . as it has been since the 1960s.  ;)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2014, 12:44:48 PM »
As for solar taking up more space - it's easy to dual purpose, just put them on roofs, use them as car ports/shades, etc...

Yup.  One of our biggest competitive advantages is that, where there are good solar incentives, we can build a solar carport with a final price that's often equal to a regular carport.  Competitors using prebuilt ground mount racking systems are 20-75% higher.