Author Topic: Support for gay marriage grows amongst former opponents  (Read 12143 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Support for gay marriage grows amongst former opponents
« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2017, 03:01:46 PM »
What legitimate reasons does it have to treat anyone that way? You mentioned  legally establishing family relationships, for purposes of inheritances, the custody of children - these are all things that gays have the exact same need for as a heterosexual couple with no reproductive ability. Is there something else?

No, they don't have the "exact same need," because an opposite-sex couple and a same-sex couple are not the same. The law used to be reasonable, and recognize this, back when we cared about things like facts, science, etc.

For one thing, there's always a chance that a "heterosexual couple with no reproductive ability" will conceive. As unlikely as it may be, it happens.

For another thing, it's not practical for marriage laws to discriminate against opposite-sex couples that "can't" reproduce. Partly because of what I just said, and partly because it would (at least in a vast number of cases) require testing (and I presume that's rather expensive and/or time-consuming). People about to get married don't always know whether or not they have fertility issues. I mean, well, some of them may even be virgins. As unlikely as it may be, it happens.

For another, other thing, the law does have an interest in making sure that parents are accountable for their own children. Not the stand-in, two-mommies kind of parents, but actual, biological parents.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2017, 03:04:52 PM »
You do realize there are ways of getting children and raising a family besides spawning one, right?

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2017, 03:06:26 PM »
You do realize there are ways of getting children and raising a family besides spawning one, right?

Yep. And forcing private, Christian adoption agencies to place babies with gay couples is part of the aim in all of this.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #53 on: July 05, 2017, 03:29:43 PM »
Yep. And forcing private, Christian adoption agencies to place babies with gay couples is part of the aim in all of this.

Correct.

My late wife and I adopted her eldest granddaughter. The process took about four years, and was completed in December of 2010. Our adoption services agency was Catholic Charities (formerly Catholic Family Services). Over the course of the multi-year process (which was unusually complicated because the kid was in a South American country, the U.S. did not recognize any adoption services providers from that country, and that country didn't recognize any adoption services providers from the U.S. -- which meant that we proceeded under a Hague Convention for international adoptions, and I got to do the majority of the legwork myself), we became very friendly with the adoption social worker assigned to our case. Because things dragged on so long, one of the documents that Catholic Charities prepared early on actually expired before the process was finished. By that time, the entire Roman Catholic diocese in which we were located had gotten out of the adoption business because it was too much red tape and too much governmental interference. Our social worker prepared an updated document, but they had to find a cooperating office of Catholic Charities in another diocese that hadn't let their accreditation expire yet to countersign the document so we could submit it.

But, hey -- "It's for the children," right?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 09:34:46 PM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Re: Support for gay marriage grows amongst former opponents
« Reply #54 on: July 05, 2017, 03:52:31 PM »

No, they don't have the "exact same need," because an opposite-sex couple and a same-sex couple are not the same. The law used to be reasonable, and recognize this, back when we cared about things like facts, science, etc.

For one thing, there's always a chance that a "heterosexual couple with no reproductive ability" will conceive. As unlikely as it may be, it happens.

For another thing, it's not practical for marriage laws to discriminate against opposite-sex couples that "can't" reproduce. Partly because of what I just said, and partly because it would (at least in a vast number of cases) require testing (and I presume that's rather expensive and/or time-consuming). People about to get married don't always know whether or not they have fertility issues. I mean, well, some of them may even be virgins. As unlikely as it may be, it happens.

For another, other thing, the law does have an interest in making sure that parents are accountable for their own children. Not the stand-in, two-mommies kind of parents, but actual, biological parents.
Please tell me where in the statutes it shows that a marriage is for the process of having children, that children born in wedlock have any special rights, etc. It deals with a whole host of things but of all of them children out of wedlock is probably the least difficult to deal with and has the most legal stuff hashed out with family courts and such. And as stated, if that were the case what's the point of allowing sterile people to get married? "Maybe" "long shot" "not practical" to know really doesn't cut it with a whole host of things.

For everything but children the needs of a same sex couple are exactly the same in regards to the benefits that come with a marriage license.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #55 on: July 05, 2017, 03:59:12 PM »

OK, sure. You realize that a homosexual relationship is not one of the ways to get children, right? You realize that if it somehow were one of the ways, it would not be in society's interest (and certainly not in children's interests) to promote or encourage or support it, right? 

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #56 on: July 05, 2017, 04:04:27 PM »

That begs the question: Are the kids Catholic? Or are they spending extra years in an Orphanage being indoctrinated because of the religious beliefs of the staff?

Look, I get it, it's a flusterlcuck.  I know a bunch of you are strongly against Gay Marriage.  The civil, legal basis for having government involved in marriages at all was to promote stable families in society.  Sure there was some civil/religious bleed over (in both directions) but that was, pretty clearly, the basis for marriage in Western Law:  To use the power of the government to encourage stable families.

The government decided it wanted to encourage stable homosexual families as well. So they are.  

There will be some useful things (like the aforementioned medical decision maker story not happening again), and some crappy things (like wedding oriented businesses loosing more freedom of association*). It remains to be seen if stable homosexual families comport the same, different, or no benefits to society that caused government involvement in the first place.  It's just me, but I think, long term, this will slow some of the breakdown of the American Family that is so often decried.  More people in committed, long-term relationships I think will be a good thing. There should be an up tic in kids getting adopted as well, as the percentage of new marriages that are biologically infertile just went up.  Kids out of orphanages and into stable homes is also a good thing.

*Realistically, that's more indicative of real problems in our business and public accommodations laws than our marriage laws.  We really shouldn't have let that particular camel under the tent wall.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #57 on: July 05, 2017, 04:11:29 PM »

OK, sure. You realize that a homosexual relationship is not one of the ways to get children, right?

Homosexual relationships get children with increasing frequency.  Adoption is the most frequent way, although I have heard of surrogates carrying the baby for male gay couples, and female gay couples getting sperm donors (Either from banks, or free range).  So a Homosexual relationship absolutely is a way to get a kid.

You realize that if it somehow were one of the ways, it would not be in society's interest (and certainly not in children's interests) to promote or encourage or support it, right? 

I know no such thing.  I, in fact, know a lesbian couple that adopted one of their foster kids, and it absolutely WAS in that child's best interest.  That's an anecdote, not data, and I am aware of that.  But there is no intrinsic reason that a stable relationship between two men or two women is a worse place to raise a kid then a stable relationship between a man and a women.  And I would posit that a same sex two parent household is better then a single parent household regardless of the single parent's gender.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #58 on: July 05, 2017, 04:11:37 PM »
Please tell me where in the statutes it shows that a marriage is for the process of having children...

I think you're confused. I was talking about the fact that societies and legal codes throughout human history have had this strange tendency to associate marriage with opposite-sex couples that got busy with each other; and not just "any two consenting adults who love each other," or "people who want to make a statement about their commitment to each other," or "people who want special benefits for themselves."

that children born in wedlock have any special rights, etc.

Huh? They have the advantage of, ya know, actually being raised by the people who gave them existence. Other than that, what are you talking about? What special rights?

...what's the point of allowing sterile people to get married? "Maybe" "long shot" "not practical" to know really doesn't cut it with a whole host of things.

OK, so which people seeking marriage licenses are sterile? Hmm? Oh, you don't know who is, and who isn't? See how that works?

For everything but children the needs of a same sex couple are exactly the same in regards to the benefits that come with a marriage license.

If humans reproduced asexually, if we just had kids pop out of our bodies every other year, or whatever, do you think marriage would exist? Would it exist all over the world? Why, or why not?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #59 on: July 05, 2017, 04:16:01 PM »
Homosexual relationships get children with increasing frequency.  Adoption is the most frequent way, although I have heard of surrogates carrying the baby for male gay couples, and female gay couples getting sperm donors (Either from banks, or free range).  So a Homosexual relationship absolutely is a way to get a kid.

Did you seriously just say that? Would you like to reconsider?

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #60 on: July 05, 2017, 04:28:54 PM »
Did you seriously just say that? Would you like to reconsider?

No. 

Take adoption for example.  Many adoption agencies will not place a child in a single parent household.  Many require not just marriage, but a minimum time frame that marriage has to have lasted so as to try and make sure the child is going to a stable home.  While there are some agencies that a gay marriage would be a disqualifier, there are others that it would not.

So if one were gay, and wanted a child, a long term homosexual relationship (preferably blessed by the government you live under) would be the way to get that child. 

I mean hell, it beats kidnapping.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #61 on: July 05, 2017, 04:47:51 PM »
No. 

Take adoption for example.  Many adoption agencies will not place a child in a single parent household.  Many require not just marriage, but a minimum time frame that marriage has to have lasted so as to try and make sure the child is going to a stable home.  While there are some agencies that a gay marriage would be a disqualifier, there are others that it would not.

So if one were gay, and wanted a child, a long term homosexual relationship (preferably blessed by the government you live under) would be the way to get that child. 

I mean hell, it beats kidnapping.

Nope. The homosexual relationship is still not producing a child. As far as helping to raise the child, are you saying that a homosexual relationship between two adoptive parents is helping the child in some way? Is it better than, say, a brother and sister adopting the child? Or some other, non-sexual partnership?

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #62 on: July 05, 2017, 05:06:28 PM »

Nope. The homosexual relationship is still not producing a child. As far as helping to raise the child, are you saying that a homosexual relationship between two adoptive parents is helping the child in some way? Is it better than, say, a brother and sister adopting the child? Or some other, non-sexual partnership?

I didn't say "producing"  I said "getting".  I know you used "reproductive", but I think my take is valid, because our discussion is on why the government might want to extend it's encouragement to these couples and what is being [hopefully] produced is a stable, two parent household for a child that doesn't have one.

I'm not saying it's helping the child (it might, it might not) I'm saying there's nothing intrinsic about a homosexual relationship that is harmful to children, and would require us to keep them away.

This is a hypothetical, but I have to assume most children in orphanages or available through adoption agencies don't have a brother/sister/grandparent/ biological relative able/willing to take them.  So that's kinda moot.

There's a lot to unpack on that last one, but a stable homosexual relationship probably IS better then some non-sexual pairing to raise children.  Children learn a lot about relationships from watching their parents, and (outside the bedroom) interaction with a sexual partner is one facet of that. I think that child development is complicated enough, and relationships are different enough that'd be pretty hard to control down to that one variable though.  It's pretty hard to control down to the homo/hetero variable for development.

lupinus

• friends
Re: Re: Re: Support for gay marriage grows amongst former opponents
« Reply #63 on: July 05, 2017, 05:44:00 PM »
I think you're confused. I was talking about the fact that societies and legal codes throughout human history have had this strange tendency to associate marriage with opposite-sex couples that got busy with each other; and not just "any two consenting adults who love each other," or "people who want to make a statement about their commitment to each other," or "people who want special benefits for themselves."
You are aware that the framework of marriage, it's benefits, expectations, and requirements has varied greatly through history and cultures right? As have all manner of things we'd no longer find acceptable.

OK, so which people seeking marriage licenses are sterile? Hmm? Oh, you don't know who is, and who isn't? See how that works?
So should a woman whose had a hysterectomy be allowed to get married? How about a guy that had cancer and lost his testicles? You're right, it would be cumbersome but seeing as it's apparently do important and a bedrock of the institution and all. Ok let's compromise, self declaration that to the best of your knowledge you can spawn. What's an acceptable sentence for self perjury in this case? While we're at it shall we decide how long a fertile couple can use birth control?

If humans reproduced asexually, if we just had kids pop out of our bodies every other year, or whatever, do you think marriage would exist? Would it exist all over the world? Why, or why not?
Well seeing as plenty of people get married who have no ability or intention of breeding get married, have a desire to do so, or form life long relationships without getting the rubber stamp...I dunno. Yeah?

That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #64 on: July 05, 2017, 05:47:48 PM »

It's "producing" a child in the same capacity as an infertile heterosexual couple would do so. Either through adoption, or through the same sorts of means available to a heterosexual couple with one fertile partner.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #65 on: July 05, 2017, 06:20:49 PM »
^^^I know a great many gay married couples, all of them women, who had kids via heterosexual intercourse when they were married to men.  They came out later in life, divorced the men, kept the kids and remarried women.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #66 on: July 05, 2017, 06:30:02 PM »
^^^I know a great many gay married couples, all of them women, who had kids via heterosexual intercourse when they were married to men.  They came out later in life, divorced the men, kept the kids and remarried women.

How great that the gay marriage came along, to make it easier for us to separate kids from their parents.

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #67 on: July 05, 2017, 06:36:09 PM »

How great that the gay marriage came along, to make it easier for us to separate kids from their parents.
Because there's no way said marriages would have ended without gay marriage being legal. And I'm failing to see where they are being separated from their parents. They are still with one parent, and presumably in the same arrangements they'd have if the parents ts divorced and the parents t with primary custody either remarried to a person of the opposite sex or stayed single.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #68 on: July 05, 2017, 06:59:15 PM »

I see it more as a function of if you have or had a uterus, you usually get primary residential custody of the children, as opposed to the man, in the heterosexual relationship that produced the children.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Perd Hapley

• friend
Re: Re: Re: Support for gay marriage grows amongst former opponents
« Reply #69 on: July 05, 2017, 07:46:04 PM »
You are aware that the framework of marriage, it's benefits, expectations, and requirements has varied greatly through history and cultures right?

Which makes its virtually-universal heterosexuality that much more striking. Those cultures had very different views about a lot of things, but everyone realized that boring, old both-sexes marriage is foundational to the family, in a way that other relationships are not. And then, you social justice warriors came along, determined to prove that men and women are just interchangeable people units.

This is a hypothetical, but I have to assume most children in orphanages or available through adoption agencies don't have a brother/sister/grandparent/ biological relative able/willing to take them.  So that's kinda moot.

I wasn't talking about relatives of the child. I'm talking about two people raising a child that don't have a sexual relationship, but live together. Two adult siblings who live together would be one example of that. There's never been an explanation for why homosexual couples are more deserving of marriage, or marriage benefits, than non-sexual pairings. The question has seldom been asked.

I'm not saying it's helping the child (it might, it might not) I'm saying there's nothing intrinsic about a homosexual relationship that is harmful to children, and would require us to keep them away.

Like every other advocate of same-sex marriage, you're confusing the question of whether government recognizes something with the question of whether it prohibits it. You're claiming that a) homosexual relationships pose no threat to adoptive children, therefore b) the government must recognize that relationship as marriage. You could make the same claim about any other type of relationship, like the sibling housemates mentioned above. So then you have to say this:

...a stable homosexual relationship probably IS better then some non-sexual pairing to raise children.  Children learn a lot about relationships from watching their parents, and (outside the bedroom) interaction with a sexual partner is one facet of that.

Not being a sociologist, all I know is that both sides claim that science backs up their view about whether the heterosexual parents (or the biological parents) being involved is critical to the development of the kid. You can speculate your way, if you like. I find it very logical to strongly suspect that (other factors aside) children suffer when both biological parents are not raising them. I find it very logical to strongly suspect that homosexual relationships cannot model a healthy relationship to the opposite (or the same) sex in the same way that a heterosexual relationship can, and often does. And I have no choice but to shape my views on the legal questions surrounding marriage or adoption accordingly.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #70 on: July 05, 2017, 08:12:54 PM »
Marriage licences issued by .gov only came into effect after the Civil War as a part of Jim Crow laws to prevent marriage between blacks and whites.   So no, it wasn't an attempt on .gov's part to provide for strong families.  It was racist (like Gun Laws) in origin.  Prior to that marriage was a purely religious event, with each tribe/religion coming up with it's own procedures for both marriage and divorce for eons prior to the present day.

Yet, once .gov got involved, it followed that lawyers would as well. (Go to your local courthouse to see tilecrawlers printing money.)   And much like everything else that .gov gets involved in, instead of "strengthening" families, it has only made things worse.  Much worse.

Please carry on, and remain civil.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #71 on: July 05, 2017, 10:53:35 PM »
Please tell me how a woman who has had a hysterectomy, or, better yet, an oophorectomy, can conceive. I await scientific facts.

People who have voluntarily had tubes tied/vas deferens snipped take great pains to know.  Even if you don't test, it's fairly easy to weed those folks out. It literally wouldn't cost anything. Yet, there they are, able to marry.  

Also, some states do require blood tests to issue a marriage certificate. Seems to not be much of a problem.

And what does this have to do with people who are guaranteed to be infertile?

Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

lupinus

• friends
Re: Re: Re: Re: Support for gay marriage grows amongst former opponents
« Reply #72 on: July 05, 2017, 11:11:28 PM »
Which makes its virtually-universal heterosexuality that much more striking. Those cultures had very different views about a lot of things, but everyone realized that boring, old both-sexes marriage is foundational to the family, in a way that other relationships are not. And then, you social justice warriors came along, determined to prove that men and women are just interchangeable people units.
And in many of those cultures it was perfectly acceptable to have more than one wife, concubines, wink wink nudge nudge mistresses, beat your wife, stone her, not marry those of other religions/races/tribes(though, concubine, mistress, etc might be ok). Etc. It's a pretty long list of things we no longer said we're ok, because we realized they were BS. And it's also a pretty decent list of things that were ok but that aren't (like polygamy or second tier spouses ala concubine). Shall we also bring back second tier offspring being bastards when born out of wedlock? That should be fun in family court and at inheritance time. 

I wasn't talking about relatives of the child. I'm talking about two people raising a child that don't have a sexual relationship, but live together. Two adult siblings who live together would be one example of that. There's never been an explanation for why homosexual couples are more deserving of marriage, or marriage benefits, than non-sexual pairings. The question has seldom been asked.
This falls nicely under the marriage should get the hell out of marriage business header.

Like every other advocate of same-sex marriage, you're confusing the question of whether government recognizes something with the question of whether it prohibits it. You're claiming that a) homosexual relationships pose no threat to adoptive children, therefore b) the government must recognize that relationship as marriage. You could make the same claim about any other type of relationship, like the sibling housemates mentioned above. So then you have to say this:
If government is prohibiting a marriage license to a couple just because two folks have two outies or two innies, then they are by definition restricting it. How much further would you like it restricted to fit your world view? Should the government not issue a marriage license when the couple includes a Christian and a Heathen?  That'd go both against Christian teaching and the social history you keep cherry picking.

Not being a sociologist, all I know is that both sides claim that science backs up their view about whether the heterosexual parents (or the biological parents) being involved is critical to the development of the kid. You can speculate your way, if you like. I find it very logical to strongly suspect that (other factors aside) children suffer when both biological parents are not raising them. I find it very logical to strongly suspect that homosexual relationships cannot model a healthy relationship to the opposite (or the same) sex in the same way that a heterosexual relationship can, and often does. And I have no choice but to shape my views on the legal questions surrounding marriage or adoption accordingly.
Sure, the best solution is generally to have a child reared by two well adjusted functioning "normal" biological parents. But I'll give the kid raised by two functional well adjusted "normal" gay dudes better odds at life than the one reared by a couple of meth addicts, assuming they make it to adulthood without being pimped out by mommy for her next fix or daddy blowing up half the trailer park with his latest experimental batch of new improved super meth. In which case the odds thing still sorta works, but I digress.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #73 on: July 06, 2017, 04:26:40 AM »
Gay people have had the right to enjoy all the legal benefits of the "governmental version of 'marriage' " in most, if not all, states for a long time. It's called "civil union." Civil unions convey ALL the legal benefits of marriage. But that wasn't good enough for them ... they insist on being allowed to call it a "marriage." That's where I -- and many others -- have a problem.

Do you happen to have a citation on this?  From what I remember, 'civil unions' were tried in like half a dozen states.
searching - 4.  13 banned same sex marriages completely.

My libertarian tendencies are more "civil unions for all!  If you want to be 'married' find a religious official willing to do it."  As long as we're at it, clean up all the contractual stuff that civil marriages mean.

That said, I eventually came to the conclusion that "marriage" is just a title for it.  I am not in favor of forcing people to provide services for them, no more than I am for other things.  Well, except that I think that a business should be able to fire an employee for not serving them if it's the business's policy, and the government, well, it's controlled via laws and courts.  If the law or judge says to do something, you do it.  Or, as you say, you quit.

I'm just concerned about your position of "I'll keep the position as long as I'm never asked".  If you're ever asked by a gay couple, you might find yourself in some serious trouble, it might be better to do your duty per the laws of the state then resign.  Because even though you've never been asked to do so, you're unwilling to do part of the job.

That's like being a soldier until a war comes along, then you're suddenly a pacifist.

Do I support them? Legally, or morally? They've obviously much more claim to being actual marriages than exclusionary, one-sex-only, homosexual unions. You can't justify same-sex "marriages" by saying, "but mah poligamey!" That's like justifying a 100% tax on birthday presents by invoking the poll tax.

It's pointing out that marriage is actually pretty flexible if you look worldwide.  LOTS of different forms and customs.

So my appeal to the broad sweep of world history is supposed to make me sympathetic to a narrow-minded, racial-purity view of marriage? Explain how you reached that conclusion.

I'm asking you to identify how your position is, in the end, different from theirs.  All you're doing is substituting 'sex' for 'race'.

And if they chose not to?  Should we automatically divorce couples when the woman hits menopause?

And marriages used to be more about property than children.

As a libertarian, I'm more about you having to prove harm than I have to prove benefit.  I will say that a stable homosexual couple is a far better choice than the 'usual' these days of a single mother.

If it's about the benefit of the child, we should take kids away from single parents long before we take them away from the gays.

And I think you're forgetting about lesbians.  They manage to have kids just fine.  A woman doesn't need to be in a 'stable loving relationship' with a man to have babies.  And quite a few didn't marry them first either.  Carefully timed 'one night stands' with selected men works well enough, for those that can't or won't go to the sperm bank.

You are aware that the framework of marriage, it's benefits, expectations, and requirements has varied greatly through history and cultures right? As have all manner of things we'd no longer find acceptable.

And we're saying that this is one of them.  

Not being a sociologist, all I know is that both sides claim that science backs up their view about whether the heterosexual parents (or the biological parents) being involved is critical to the development of the kid.

All I say is that 2 is better than 1, generally speaking.  After that, things like ethnicity(better take the kids away from blacks), income level(poor shouldn't have kids), and outright individual variations in families all outweigh any detectable differences between a gay couple an a straight couple raising kids.  Divorce, separation, and such all have a much greater impact.

I wouldn't say that.  I'd say it's a rebuttal to your argument that marriage is about raising kids, and homosexual couples can't raise kids(properly), ergo they shouldn't be able to get married.

Yet, once .gov got involved, it followed that lawyers would as well. (Go to your local courthouse to see tilecrawlers printing money.)   And much like everything else that .gov gets involved in, instead of "strengthening" families, it has only made things worse.  Much worse.

Well, yeah, which is why I consider civil marriages to be the most complex set of contracts that you can enter for only about $45 and two to three signatures.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #74 on: July 06, 2017, 08:05:47 AM »
If you need to government to sanctify your relationship in order for your chosen god to recognize it, you might consider if your priorities are skewed.

I'd imagine were I to be a religious sort that I'd consider whatever my chosen god and church thought of my relationship to supercede government's sanctioning of it.

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”