Author Topic: Obama's Car Problem  (Read 2178 times)

HankB

• friend
Obama's Car Problem
« on: March 20, 2013, 11:25:54 AM »
Obama's in Israel . . . and someone mistakenly filled his limo ("The Beast") with diesel instead of gasoline.

Oops.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/mar/20/obama-limousine-jordan-diesel-petrol

Backup limo is on its way from Jordan.

Hey, Obama - call a taxi! Or maybe you can ride around in a tank the way Dukakis did - make for a great photo op, eh?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
Re: Obama's Car Problem
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 11:29:29 AM »
That's because the rest of the world knows better than to put a gasoline motor in that big of a car.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 11:30:42 AM »
Aren't the fill tubes different diameters between diesel and unleaded?

(I say this because I know they are different sizes between "regular" and "unleaded" back in that awkward 1994 era when "regular" was being phased out but standardization in labeling was not yet in place and "regular" could mean leaded in some places and mean 87 octane unleaded in other places... I put about 5 gallons of leaded gas in my parents' car when I was 16 and it needed a ring job about a week later.  Was very confused why the "regular" unleaded gas hose wouldn't fit in the car's gas port.)
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 12:08:47 PM »

(I say this because I know they are different sizes between "regular" and "unleaded" back in that awkward 1994 era when "regular" was being phased out but standardization in labeling was not yet in place and "regular" could mean leaded in some places and mean 87 octane unleaded in other places... I put about 5 gallons of leaded gas in my parents' car when I was 16 and it needed a ring job about a week later.  Was very confused why the "regular" unleaded gas hose wouldn't fit in the car's gas port.)

Leaded gas shouldn't hurt the engine, but would ruin the catalyctic convertor instead  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 12:11:20 PM »
Leaded gas shouldn't hurt the engine, but would ruin the catalyctic convertor instead  =|

Yes that was the problem, plus by 1990 the lead was very very very low in regular gas. I don't see the correlation with the engine needed new piston rings, that is usually a wear problem.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 12:15:10 PM »

In the US at least, the diesel tubes are larger.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 12:26:19 PM »
Buddy of mine did the opposite in iraq once. Filled a HMMWV up with regular gas. Luckily they caught it before he fired it up (or tried. Not sure what would happen)

took it to the motor pool by towbar and drained it all out
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 12:26:39 PM »
Obama's in Israel . . . and someone mistakenly filled his limo ("The Beast") with diesel instead of gasoline.

I doubt that it was a mistake  >:D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2013, 01:30:57 PM »
The limo Reagan has built was a turbodiesel.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2013, 01:44:44 PM »
I was under the impression that the presidential limo is really a car/limo body on a heavy truck frame to accomodate the heavy armor and still have speed and more reliability than an uparmored limo on a car frame. Im guessing its diesel powered and was accidently filled with gasoline.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2013, 02:24:54 PM »
The limo Reagan has built was a turbodiesel.
Zombie Reagan?

Chris

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2013, 02:29:59 PM »
Zombie Reagan?

Chris

We should be so lucky. :P
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2013, 04:10:21 PM »
Isn't deisel what's left after you are finished refining off all the other petroleum products?

Or is that petrolatum (petroleum jelly).

Either way, seems the Oil-Rich could be sending a message.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2013, 07:56:40 PM »
Isn't deisel what's left after you are finished refining off all the other petroleum products?

Or is that petrolatum (petroleum jelly).

Either way, seems the Oil-Rich could be sending a message.

stay safe.

IIRC, it's Bunker Charlie (what ships use), when it's not powering ships they smear it on the ground to make roads. 

Small molecules like those in propane gas, naphtha, gasoline for cars, and jet fuel have relatively low boiling points, and they are removed at the start of the fractional distillation process. Heavier petroleum products like diesel and lubricating oil are much less volatile and distill out more slowly, while bunker oil is literally the bottom of the barrel; the only things more dense than bunker fuel are carbon black feedstock and bituminous residue which is used for paving roads (asphalt) and sealing roofs.
- Wikipedia
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2013, 08:22:56 PM »
Diesel nozzles are not always bigger.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2013, 09:31:44 PM »
But diesel is just so icky and dirty.... :facepalm:
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2013, 10:31:25 PM »
Bass-Ackwards.

The "Beast" is powered by a 6.5L diesel engine.

They're now reporting it had the correct fuel, but still suffered a breakdown. 

Odd that it'd go to a local garage for repairs, vs. getting put back on the C-5 or C-17 it arrived in...
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2013, 05:20:53 AM »
Bass-Ackwards.

The "Beast" is powered by a 6.5L diesel engine.

They're now reporting it had the correct fuel, but still suffered a breakdown. 

Odd that it'd go to a local garage for repairs, vs. getting put back on the C-5 or C-17 it arrived in...

If "The Beast" suffered a breakdown, there are plenty of good psychiatrists/analysts locally - no need to fly it home.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2013, 06:53:32 AM »
When you try to make an armored diesel truck look like a luxury car you repeatedly run into problems.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/that_chrysler_guy/5752876732/
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"