Author Topic: An opportunity for the stupid party...  (Read 1433 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
An opportunity for the stupid party...
« on: March 19, 2013, 02:48:00 PM »
... to continue being stupid.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/03/19/reid-cuts-assault-weapons-ban-from-senate-gun-control-bill-amid-waning-support/

Harry Reid prevented the assault weapons ban from being in the gun control bill. (Yes, I know, we're winning on that front, at least.)

BUT, he said an amendment to add it back it could be offered. I'm certain Feinstein will oblige.

EVERY REPUBLICAN senator ought to vote for that amendment. It's called a "poison pill". After that, the extra liberal dems are now in the position of having to vote down the assault weapon ban (their constituents will love that) or allow it to go through and force the vulnerable dems to vote for the entire package and have the ads run against them that they voted to ban guns.

An ADDED benefit to this is that no matter what the Dems do, it's unlikely to pass the House, especially with a gun ban attached. So the risk is minimal.

Will the Republicans engage in this EASY, CLEAR means of killing the bill? Of course not. They're the stupid party.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: An opportunity for the stupid party...
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 03:01:04 PM »
Don't count on the GOPers in the House.  GOP leadership has recently stated that it no longers considers the Hastert Rule in effect.  Meaning, they will push through legislation they want with Dem support even if a majority of Republicans in the House are against it.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 03:57:29 PM »
Don't count on the GOPers in the House.  GOP leadership has recently stated that it no longers considers the Hastert Rule in effect.  Meaning, they will push through legislation they want with Dem support even if a majority of Republicans in the House are against it.

The stupidcide party  :facepalm:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 12:27:26 PM »
http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/house/289359-dems-force-gop-to-vote-down-rsc-budget

The Democrats all voted present on a budget that balances the Federal Budget in 4 years. Effectively, they dared the Republicans to pass it alone. (The stupid party, of course, was scared to death by this and voted it down.)

The Republicans see these tactics used against them, OFTEN. But, of course, there's no way the Republicans will all vote "Present" on the Assault Weapon ban amendment in the Senate. That wouldn't be "collegial".

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 10:36:10 PM »
EVERY REPUBLICAN senator ought to vote for that amendment. It's called a "poison pill". After that, the extra liberal dems are now in the position of having to vote down the assault weapon ban (their constituents will love that) or allow it to go through and force the vulnerable dems to vote for the entire package and have the ads run against them that they voted to ban guns.

Err...not a good idea. They're the stupid party for a reason. They may get confused and decide to vote for the final bill, too.

I have a better poison pill: reopen the NFA machine gun registry. Let the anti-gunners suck on that.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 07:59:22 AM »
Are you guys sure they are stupid and not acting that way by design?

A statist by any name is still a statist.

I have a better poison pill: reopen the NFA machine gun registry. Let the anti-gunners suck on that.

I like that.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 08:39:49 AM »
Err...not a good idea. They're the stupid party for a reason. They may get confused and decide to vote for the final bill, too.

That's great. But a poison pill has to be something you can pass in the first place because of a coalition with part of your opponents (or abstention, as the Democrats smartly did) that the majority of your opponents will oppose (or enough of your opponents in addition to yours) if in the final bill.

The registry would fit the bill on the second part, but has no chance of passing. (And I'd bet much of the stupid party would oppose because "SCARY AUTOMATIC RIFLES!!!")

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 09:46:18 AM »
The registry would fit the bill on the second part, but has no chance of passing. (And I'd bet much of the stupid party would oppose because "SCARY AUTOMATIC RIFLES!!!")

Not to mention all the people that bought machine guns to make a profit.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 10:20:52 AM »
Not to mention all the people that bought machine guns to make a profit.

People trying to exploit .gov violating the Constitution to make a profit can deal with it.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.