Author Topic: Libertarian wins municipal elections... in Moscow.  (Read 5655 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
Libertarian wins municipal elections... in Moscow.
« on: March 09, 2012, 02:22:13 AM »
As in, Moscow, Russia.

She ran as a libertarian in one of the most un-libertarian political cultures on earth.

She did not whine about how she has a job. She ran. She won.

Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: Libertarian wins municipal elections... in Moscow.
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 02:22:58 AM »
More Vera Kichanova:

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 11:45:21 AM »
 =(
Twenty years ago the USSR drops communism and begins a slow painful march toward freedom.
? ? ? ? ? ? ?  Years ago  America drops capitalism and begins a slow painful march toward serfdom.

:'(
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 01:57:20 PM »
She cleverly wove her Wookie suit into an attractive twill pattern.

The bowcaster is probably concealed inside it.  =D
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 02:01:13 PM »
=(
Twenty years ago the USSR drops communism and begins a slow painful march toward freedom.
? ? ? ? ? ? ?  Years ago  America drops capitalism and begins a slow painful march toward serfdom.

:'(

Yes, it is almost surrealic.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 02:52:53 PM »
She cleverly wove her Wookie suit into an attractive twill pattern.

The bowcaster is probably concealed inside it.  =D

Again with the *expletive deleted*ing wookie suit *expletive deleted*it.  I swear.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 02:56:48 PM »
Again with the *expletive deleted*ing wookie suit *expletive deleted*.  I swear.

I'm half-Wookie on my mother's side.  I get to make jokes.

The subtle point of my comment was that she looks like a normal, kinda geeky, person, not some sort of nut with craaaaaaaaaaaaazy ideas.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 03:12:50 PM »
I'm half-Wookie on my mother's side.  I get to make jokes.

The subtle point of my comment was that she looks like a normal, kinda geeky, person, not some sort of nut with craaaaaaaaaaaaazy ideas.

Sorry to pop off certain members can't help but drop the wookie thing and mean it every time the "L" word comes up.

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2012, 03:16:47 PM »
Sorry to pop off certain members can't help but drop the wookie thing and mean it every time the "L" word comes up.

As we Irish/wookie Alaskans say, "No worries brah." ;)

I didn't even think of that J, and should have, I will be more careful on my part. 

So, Micro, where is our translated campaign literature and policy statements and such?

Free ice cream NOW!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2012, 04:09:37 PM »
One picture is worth how many words?

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2012, 04:36:17 PM »

Ignoring the people who think they're being clever[1], could we get a translation of the ads?  They look very nice, all things considered.

[1] I always love in any lock thread, where people come up with creative things like "lulz, just use an axe/jack/detcord/etc". Yes, very creative, and unique. Because obviously, no one has ever thought of that, nor mentioned it previously. I see the wookie thing as similar. It's not creative, or funny, but has gotten old. Yet folks still do it.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2012, 05:07:35 PM »
Ignoring the people who think they're being clever[1], could we get a translation of the ads?  They look very nice, all things considered.

Let's see if I remember enough russian transliteration to actually feed it phonically into google! (Don't laugh too hard, Micro)

Vera Kichanova

Nezavisimy kandidat v moonitsipalnoe sobranie

uzhnogo tooshino

golosooyte 4 marta 2012 goda!

vlast dolzhna bt podotchetnoy grazhdanam i gonyatnoy ludyam

What does google make of this?

Vera Kichanova

Independent candidate for the municipal assembly

southern Tushino

vote March 4, 2012!

power should bt accountable to citizens and people gonyatnoy

:lol:  I'll leave this one to the pros.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2012, 08:09:02 PM »
Vera Kichanova,
Independent Candidate for the Municipal Council of South Tushino
Vote, March 4th, 2012.
The Government must be Accountable to Citizens and Comprehensible to People.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2012, 09:00:25 PM »
Vera Kichanova,
Independent Candidate for the Municipal Council of South Tushino
Vote, March 4th, 2012.
The Government must be Accountable to Citizens and Comprehensible to People.

Well that's just crazy talk.  =D

Good for her, hope her support continues.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2012, 05:23:15 AM »

I for one am a proud wookie-suiter.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2012, 01:43:21 PM »
I thought it was pretty funny. I LOLd. :laugh:
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2012, 05:05:13 PM »
Those posters look a bit like Oleg's work.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2012, 01:16:19 PM »
As in, Moscow, Russia.

She ran as a libertarian in one of the most un-libertarian political cultures on earth.

She did not whine about how she has a job. She ran. She won.

Good job!

Although it's unfortunate the journalist focused on her alone, and ignored Scooby, Shaggy, Fred, and Daphne's contributions to the campaign. Or the fact they unmasked Putin only to find out it was old man Carruthers, who was just trying to scare everyone off from the Kremlin, so he could dig up the Czar's gold treasure undisturbed...
I promise not to duck.

erictank

• friends
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2012, 05:39:34 PM »
Good job!

Although it's unfortunate the journalist focused on her alone, and ignored Scooby, Shaggy, Fred, and Daphne's contributions to the campaign. Or the fact they unmasked Putin only to find out it was old man Carruthers, who was just trying to scare everyone off from the Kremlin, so he could dig up the Czar's gold treasure undisturbed...

Come on, it was ALWAYS Velma doing all the heavy-lifting - the rest of them were bumblers and airheads.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2012, 08:44:03 PM »
The Wall Street Journal chips in on this topic:

He held classes to teach followers how to run in Sunday's election. Ms. Kichanova, a journalism student who belongs to the tiny Libertarian Party and says she admires the Tea Party in the U.S., signed up and became one of 220 candidates endorsed by Our City.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2012, 09:26:44 AM »

Is it legal to donate to her campaign, MB? This is Russia. On one hand, they tend to NOT like foreigners. On the other hand, cash is always welcome.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Ryan in Maine

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2012, 10:13:48 AM »
Facebook? Yes. https://www.facebook.com/people/Vera-Kichanova/1586253464
Twitter? Yes. http://twitter.com/kichanova
Live Journal? Yes. http://kichanova.livejournal.com
Formspring? Yes. http://www.formspring.me/Kichanova

Should be able to learn a little more about her.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2012, 07:35:41 AM »
Is it legal to donate to her campaign, MB? This is Russia. On one hand, they tend to NOT like foreigners. On the other hand, cash is always welcome.

I've inquired into this via Daniil Gorbatenko. You should be able to see our conversation on Facebook.