Author Topic: Kony 2012  (Read 12159 times)

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
Kony 2012
« on: March 09, 2012, 09:29:09 AM »
Nope, not gonna link to the video here.  

To be honest, I haven't watched it yet.  I don't have to watch it to know that Joseph Kony is a Bad Guytm.  But my opinion is on the current phenomenon going on with this video.  So many people I know think that by clicking "Like" on Facebook, or YouTube, or tweeting about it or whatever, they are saving the world.  When called out on this, they argue, "But I'm Raising Awarenesstm!"  

Yup, increasing awareness of this scumbucket is a good thing.  But now that you have been made aware of it, what are *you* gonna do?  My brother has shared the same opinion on FB with some of his friends, which I made some supporting arguments to.  To which a couple of his friends have gotten all sorts of butt-hurt when it's pointed out that "liking" the video without any further action, thinking that this alone will save the world, is bluntly hypocrisy.  We both suggested contacting your congresscritter, or donating to Uganda Relief Orgs...  To which the general reply has been "meh, can't be bothered... But we Raised Awarenesstm, and that's good enough!"
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 09:32:28 AM by AmbulanceDriver »
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Re: Kony 2012
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 10:15:47 AM »
I'm refraining from interacting with this movement until they start spreading the awareness that a few hired hands from Blackwater can convince Kony of the error of his ways....preferably with a .338 tap to his forehead....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 10:18:31 AM »
Somebody needs to start a "Kill Kony for Money!" assassination fund. Oh, wait, that's "uncivilized"...
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 10:19:02 AM »
The outfit pushing this awareness, Invisible Children, I believe, has also come under scrutiny.

They seem to support a military option for intervention.

In addition, 68% of their fundraising dollars go to salaries, travel, etc. while only 33% goes to the children.

Two sides to every story.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 10:27:03 AM »
The outfit pushing this awareness, Invisible Children, I believe, has also come under scrutiny.

In addition, 68% of their fundraising dollars go to salaries, travel, etc. while only 33% goes to the children.

Yup.  Put up quite a rant on FB about this whole mess.  Ended with the fact that if they don't want to give to Invisible Children, there's a whole bunch of charities listed by CharityWatch with good reps and that to even be on CharityWatch's list, they have to spend 75% or more of their money on actual, you know, charity...  :)

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 10:29:04 AM »
*hehehe* I was thinking the exact same thing this morning.  Set up a trust account where people can donate, and all the money in the fund goes to whoever manages to either snatch him up and drop him on somebody's (FBI would be good) front step, or to whoever manages to kill the SOB and provide proof. 

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 10:44:00 AM »
drop him on somebody's (FBI would be good)

So that he can be let go? Hell no, this isn't catch and release, you kill the *expletive deleted*er.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 10:46:04 AM »

+1
My quick google info check check gave the same results. They seem to be "Anti-Kony" First, "For Profit" Second, and in a distant Third "Save the Children".

FWIW I am highly suspect of the timing of this and of that movie "Machine Gun Preacher". Strikes me as a PR campaign that will be used to prime western audiences for an expanded NATO "kinetic military adventure-safari" in Africa. "Terrorism" doesn't work very well on non-Arab-Muslim characters.. So, when people ask "Why are we occupying and regime-changing Africa? Could it be because of the vast untapped mining resources in the region?", their fellow citizens will say "Nooo.. Didn't you see the movie?!?! It's to save the children Dummy!"  Oh, so long as it's for "The Children"... ;/

"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2012, 10:49:04 AM »
Umm, we already have Americans on the ground specifically to disarm the LRA.   (Under the "Lord's Resistance Army Disarmament and Northern Uganda Recovery Act")  Africa is a mess, and there are religious wars going on over there; nothing new.  We have American lives on the line against him.  I think that "we" are doing plenty already.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2012, 10:54:35 AM »
Umm, we already have Americans on the ground specifically to disarm the LRA.   (Under the "Lord's Resistance Army Disarmament and Northern Uganda Recovery Act")  Africa is a mess, and there are religious wars going on over there; nothing new.  We have American lives on the line against him.  I think that "we" are doing plenty already.

Oh, I definitely agree there.  I don't think that "we" as a nation can or should do much more than we're already doing.  As you pointed out, we've already got boots on the ground there.  My beef is with the "like this video and save the world!!!!11!!!!111!" types.  Don't get all high and mighty thinking you're saving the children just by spreading a video.  If you want to do something about the children, then actually *do* something.  Not just pat yourself on the back for "omg i raizd awarnes!!!!"

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2012, 10:56:57 AM »
So that he can be let go? Hell no, this isn't catch and release, you kill the *expletive deleted*er.

...hmm..  True...  cheaper that way too...   >:D

My only problem is that there's a long line of other nutjobs waiting to step into the power vaccuum that it would generate.  But that'd be the same problem if you captured him....    

Ok, I vote for  [ar15]

Besides, if every wannabe warlord that stepped up to fill Kony's shoes were to get that long-distance tap....   I wonder how many would keep wanting to step up......

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2012, 11:00:17 AM »
Oh, I definitely agree there.  I don't think that "we" as a nation can or should do much more than we're already doing.  As you pointed out, we've already got boots on the ground there.  My beef is with the "like this video and save the world!!!!11!!!!111!" types.  Don't get all high and mighty thinking you're saving the children just by spreading a video.  If you want to do something about the children, then actually *do* something.  Not just pat yourself on the back for "omg i raizd awarnes!!!!"

Ah, gotcha.  Yea, I agree.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2012, 11:04:23 AM »

Yeah, US Special Forces have been in Uganda for some time now. And for some reason, they are still there. I think that "someone" is planning on expanding that presence. Hence the "awareness campaign" of how bad the children have over there. Everyone should know by now that Mission Creep is a hard coded feature of US military intervention. I wouldn't discount that this is just the beginning of a long push and pull with China over African resources.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2012, 01:39:38 PM »
Here's the plan: we replace him with nice, civilized people from the Muslim Bro'hood.  What could go wrong?
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2012, 02:01:30 PM »
So digging into the Kony2012/Invisible Children folks....   apparently the movie started filming in 2003....  and the LRA signed a peace accord with the Ugandan gov't 5 years ago....  The "army" with Kony is a small band of child soldiers who literally think Kony is God. And it's likely he's not even *in* Uganda anymore.  Apparently, when they were called on this, their spokesperson said the following: “I agree with you that leading people to believe that the war is still happening in Uganda is not ethically right. It’s something we’ve been addressing internally, focusing on getting all staff and supporters on the same page (of communication).”

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2012, 02:51:59 PM »

What crime has he been convicted of?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2012, 03:25:41 PM »

Meh, if they don't have to convict american citizens to kill them overseas, why would a foreigner be a problem?

Step 1: Stir up PR
Step 2: Define him as an enemy of the state
Step 3: Have highly trained operators kill him.
Step 4: Profit!

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2012, 04:04:01 PM »

Besides, if every wannabe warlord that stepped up to fill Kony's shoes were to get that long-distance tap....   I wonder how many would keep wanting to step up......

Now you're thinking with your dipstick, Jimmy....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2012, 04:07:33 PM »

Many. It's Africa.

Best thing we can do is stay out, and let the locals actually sort things out for themselves.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2012, 08:09:49 PM »

I don't know, what crime has Santa Ana been tried for?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2012, 10:06:24 PM »
I don't know, what crime has Santa Ana been tried for?

If Wikipedia is to be believed, he was tried in absentia for treason.

Assuming you are referring to Antonio López de Santa Anna ...
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2012, 08:38:20 AM »

Oh, snap!

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2012, 09:06:11 AM »

And yet, have the Texans tried him for anything? Or the Americans? And yet those evil people have captured him anyway! Several times, even!

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2012, 09:23:46 AM »
.........?
JD

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2012, 10:01:23 AM »
.........?

Why is it relevant he has never been tried?

Do you suggest the only way to deal with the leaders of terrorist groups, and various such violent organizations is to capture and try them?