Author Topic: Kony 2012  (Read 12163 times)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
Re: Kony 2012
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2012, 01:45:42 PM »
And yet, have the Texans tried him for anything? Or the Americans? And yet those evil people have captured him anyway! Several times, even!

There was a war on at the time.  Moreover, Santa Anna was not assassinated, even though he ordered the execution of Texans taken prisoner by his forces.

Back on point: Kony may indeed be a very bad person.  He has not, to my knowledge, attacked the U.S.  I don't see the need for us to take him out, be it by sniper, drone strike, or whatever.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2012, 03:04:24 PM »
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2012, 04:44:18 PM »
I have missed this internet phenom.

Don't think I care.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2012, 05:18:37 PM »
Why is it relevant he has never been tried?

Do you suggest the only way to deal with the leaders of terrorist groups, and various such violent organizations is to capture and try them?

Depends.  Does Kony threaten the soverignty of our nation?  If the answer can be clearly articulated as a "yes", then the question is he actively engaged in acts of sedition or treason against the US peoples?  If "Yes", then isn't that an act of war?
However, Kony doesn't even rise to the level of tinpot warlord.  He's got a little devoted army of less "soldiers" than a reinforced company of Marines.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2012, 09:23:47 PM »

Chris

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2012, 09:30:00 PM »
However, Kony doesn't even rise to the level of tinpot warlord.  He's got a little devoted army of less "soldiers" than a reinforced company of Marines.

Then we can call it a training exercise....for a B-52 wing.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2012, 09:47:13 AM »
I first heard about this Friday on the news. I remember getting angry wondering how many people actually planned on doing anything. I wonder how many people would be willing to actually go over there and help take him out. They mentioned some of the controversy about the people who made it and one of the things is that he had posed with guns. Oh teh noes!  :laugh:
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2012, 04:31:45 PM »
''Kony 2012'' director answers critics of video

http://news.yahoo.com/kony-2012-director-answers-critics-video-004839094.html

"They hear the word charity and they don't understand why all of our money isn't going to Central Africa," Russell said. "We have found that putting money towards our media and our movie, changes lives. And in that life change, it has tangible results into a movement ... that movement does galvanize the mission."

Translation is that you are covering your own salaries first, *expletive deleted*bag!
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2012, 11:13:53 AM »
From Jamie's link. This should stop Kony in his tracks:

Initially, he aimed for 500,000 YouTube viewers. Now, plans include a global dance party

Maybe this guy really does mean well, but he's doing nothing different than I've seen done by many individuals who have led sheltered, easy lives, who live in nice houses and make good money. He's picking some random cause de jour for "the betterment of mankind" to make himself feel better about his easy life (and possibly in this case profiting, as his film has been purchased by some major producer).

How many Kony clones are flying under the radar in various African countries because they're at the "Governor" level versus the "President" level?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2012, 12:46:50 PM »
From Jamie's link. This should stop Kony in his tracks:

Maybe this guy really does mean well, but he's doing nothing different than I've seen done by many individuals who have led sheltered, easy lives, who live in nice houses and make good money. He's picking some random cause de jour for "the betterment of mankind" to make himself feel better about his easy life (and possibly in this case profiting, as his film has been purchased by some major producer).

How many Kony clones are flying under the radar in various African countries because they're at the "Governor" level versus the "President" level?

There are many of those clones.
One, whom I cannot remember, has a son with a $30M home in CA.
The remainder of the country is in pathetic poverty.
Any condemnation from the administration for this? Hell no.
Politicians knowingly cuddle up to bad money until the publicity becomes negative. Whores!

ETA - That would be this clown:

http://www.africandictator.org/?p=5049

U.S. targets the $30 million estate of Equatorial Guinea’s playboy president-in-waiting

And here is the political bullshiite reason:

Some critics have argued that the U.S. government has been slow to move because American energy firms, led by ExxonMobil, have billions of dollars invested in Equatorial Guinea and most of its oil is exported to the United States. Never mind that his father, Teodoro Obiang, who seized power in a 1979 coup, runs a regime as brutal as it is corrupt.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 12:54:41 PM by Jamie B »
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2012, 01:19:49 PM »
A friend of mine posted this to another forum, with the handwringing note : "We really need to, you know... DO something about this! Isn't this what our troops are for?"

My reply was

"If you have a vested interest in taking out Kony, grab a rifle and do it yourself. Don't send other people into harms way to assuage your own guilt.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2012, 03:49:23 PM »
A friend of mine posted this to another forum, with the handwringing note : "We really need to, you know... DO something about this! Isn't this what our troops are for?"

My reply was

"If you have a vested interest in taking out Kony, grab a rifle and do it yourself. Don't send other people into harms way to assuage your own guilt.

Like the doofus from Montana (I think) who went looking for OSB.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2012, 10:55:28 PM »
I think those who care most should volunteer first.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2012, 01:57:54 PM »

My reply was

Not fair.

You know that when he wrote "we" he meant "some other guy with the virtue of not being me."
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2012, 04:30:02 PM »
Like I've said....why send a man to do a job that a large amount of air-dropped ordinance can't do?....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2012, 09:21:14 PM »
You cannot make this up:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/envoy/kony-2012-filmmaker-arrested-san-diego-205649394.html

‘Kony 2012′ filmmaker arrested in San Diego

Russell, 33, "was taken into custody after he was found masturbating in public, vandalizing cars and possibly under the influence of something," NBC's San Diego affiliate reported, citing San Diego Police Department spokeswoman Lt. Andra Brown.

Holy *expletive deleted*it! He must have needed a little stress relief.

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2012, 10:02:31 PM »
I'd be more impressed if he did all that under the influence of nothing....

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2012, 10:40:35 PM »
I'd be more impressed if he did all that under the influence of nothing....

Maybe he did!  =D

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2012, 01:17:02 AM »
Depends.  Does Kony threaten the soverignty of our nation?  If the answer can be clearly articulated as a "yes", then the question is he actively engaged in acts of sedition or treason against the US peoples? 

Did the Barbary Pirates?

I am sorry, nowhere does the Constitution say that military force may be only used against people who threaten the U.S.

Military force can be used against anybody Congress feels like, and in some cases without even that authorization (see also Thomas Jefferson).

If the American people feel it's the role of AFRICOM to shoot Kony, then Kony ought to get shot.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2012, 02:11:24 AM »
Did the Barbary Pirates?

Yup. They were seizing American ships, which is why Jefferson decided to insert the collective boots of our Marines and Navy up their third point of contact.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2012, 02:43:07 AM »
Yup. They were seizing American ships, which is why Jefferson decided to insert the collective boots of our Marines and Navy up their third point of contact.

Yes, but they were hardly threatening "American sovereignty", which is what JJ mentioned.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2012, 03:06:07 AM »
Yes, but they were hardly threatening "American sovereignty", which is what JJ mentioned.

Well, technically, they were, what with extorting something like 20% of the annual US budget out of us pre-asswhooping.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

erictank

• friends
« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2012, 05:11:19 AM »
Well, technically, they were, what with extorting something like 20% of the annual US budget out of us pre-asswhooping.

That's pretty threatening to our national sovereignty, as far as I'm concerned.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2012, 07:29:22 AM »

Um, enslaving a countries citizens sure seems like a threat against the sovereign.  

And the aforementioned economic reasons.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2012, 02:17:14 PM »
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic