Author Topic: Fighting the TSA's invasion of privacy and daily sexual assaults  (Read 4216 times)

drewtam

• friend
As I look across the internet at the groups fired up about this issue, I see a very diverse group agreeing on some important principles.

From the left, I see petitions from such hard lefty groups as Firedoglake, articles from Democratic Underground, NYT, & DailyKos speak against it, and legal actions by the ACLU to fight the invasion of privacy, illegal searchs, and downright sexual assaults that are now standard practice for airport screenings by the TSA.

From the right I see the same disgust with the situation. Oleg continues to speak out, an Unelected.org article wants to shoot the ********s, and Ron Paul continues to speak out and propose legislation to reduce the harm being caused.

So don't miss my main big point.
The hard left and right both agree that the current airport situation is disgusting and is making noises to get it changed.

But here's the big follow up questions:
With this much bipartisan agreement, why isn't this issue getting traction and getting fixed?
Do we need an independent group to pull both the left and right together on this one issue? (a kind of 4th amendment foundation?)
Is there a silent majority, between the hard left and right, that isn't interested in change and is holding up progress?

The Supreme Court has generally backed the gov't for these kinds of programs. Is this the major limiter from a legal stand point? Nobody thinks we can win in court? Why not focus all effort on the legislative side?

What say you?
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

Regolith

• friend
Re: Fighting the TSA's invasion of privacy and daily sexual assaults
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 07:31:53 PM »
Unfortunately, the bipartisan support for getting rid of the TSA is mostly on the fringes. OTOH, the large, soft gooey center seems to be entirely for it.  :facepalm:
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 07:34:54 PM »
When you look at the current US population of ~310,000,000, a little internet chatter doesn't amount to much.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 08:01:06 PM »
Also, how many of those people would put the TSA as the major issue in their minds and vote for a guy on the other side just for that issue?  Would you elect a hard leftist gun grabber who was also anti-TSA?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 08:14:25 PM »
I look at it from the other side. Ideologues push and pull national agenda and narrative. If two close candidates are competing, and one is able to get the 4th amendment vote, that could push him from a 46/46 deadlock to a 47/46 victory due to that small undecided group swinging the vote.

Or to put it another way, why not make the 4th a successful special interest too?
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 04:58:34 AM »
Politicians always take away rights.  They never give back rights.

That's what politicians do.

You really don't expect the politicians to listen to those pesky people, do you?
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 09:50:09 AM »
Also, how many of those people would put the TSA as the major issue in their minds and vote for a guy on the other side just for that issue?  Would you elect a hard leftist gun grabber who was also anti-TSA?

Bingo!

The internet lets people bitch, and they simply regurgitate what others are whining about.

Hence, the internet dogpile.

This does not mean that they will really do anything, other than just whine.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 11:17:22 AM »
So this is just like the War on Drugs. You can find plenty of lefties and righties opposed to it, yet it continues.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 02:38:03 PM »
I look at it from the other side. Ideologues push and pull national agenda and narrative. If two close candidates are competing, and one is able to get the 4th amendment vote, that could push him from a 46/46 deadlock to a 47/46 victory due to that small undecided group swinging the vote.

Or to put it another way, why not make the 4th a successful special interest too?
Do you really think the opponent is going to speak out in favor of the TSA groping kids?  Even the friends of the TSA will at least mouth the proper words to stay out of trouble. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 06:28:51 PM »
Alright all you naysayers... what is the best path forward on this?
Roll over and take it?  [barf]

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 06:59:43 PM »
Maybe when off-duty TSA'ers are treated like sex offenders in the wrong neighborhood, then the discussion will gain some ground.....

....not making any suggestions.....just an observation.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2012, 04:32:03 PM »
Alright all you naysayers... what is the best path forward on this?
Roll over and take it?  [barf]
Nothing can be done.

Like gasoline, the monopolistic stranglehold over US consumers is tight, and there are not comparable options.
Not buying the service or product for 1 day is a complete waste of time.

Over time, hopefully the internet will support tele-commuting, and reduce the need for domestic air travel.

The only possible option would be legislation from congress to eliminate the TSA hassles.
I do not see this happening.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2012, 04:49:08 PM »
Nothing can be done.

Pretty much.  This is the way things are.  Best you can do it change your own personal situation to mitigate the effects as much as posiable.

You can spend your life holding signs and knocking on doors and protesting, but at the end of the day, nothing will be changed and you'll be mad, poor and tired.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2012, 05:06:06 PM »
The law that gave birth to TSA included a provision to allow a local airport to opt out of TSA supplied security.  The airport would be within the law to kick TSA to the curb and hire a private security outfit.  Several cities have made moves in that direction the latest of which is Miami ( I reserve the right to be wrong).  I seem to remember FED.gov has refused to implement the clear provision of law so nothing has changed.  All that was before TSA when on a groping rampage and before it set up operations at traffic stops.

Getting local airports to change to private security is an effective way to cut out the nonsense. 
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2012, 06:07:23 PM »
private security?
http://blog.tsa.gov/2010/11/airports-who-opt-out-of-tsa-screening.html

Thank you for reminding us that opt-outs are not enough.

Abolition is the way to go.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2012, 11:19:20 PM »
Maybe when off-duty TSA'ers are treated like sex offenders in the wrong neighborhood, then the discussion will gain some ground.....

....not making any suggestions.....just an observation.....

I will not socialize on my own time with any TSA employee.  Same with some other agencies.  I tell them why once I learn their occupation.

Some lines of work are not honorable and decent folk ought not admit them to polite company.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2012, 11:23:43 PM »
Ah, finally something for me to agree with roo_ster on.

Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner