Author Topic: Berkeley Police Chief - "I Could Have Done Better"  (Read 5537 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Berkeley Police Chief - "I Could Have Done Better"
« on: March 12, 2012, 11:55:31 AM »
Hmm. A 1230AM visit to a reporter's home to "talk about a story", but it wasn't meant to be intimidation. 1230PM, and I might be more willing to believe it.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/03/12/california-police-chief-reportedly-sends-sergeant-to-reporters-home-over-story/?test=latestnews

Edited for speling: I'm actually proud of myself for misspelling Berkeley.  :laugh:
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 12:11:53 PM by Ben »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Berkelely Police Chief - "I Could Have Done Better"
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 12:08:02 PM »
if the chief showed up himself it would be worse  sending his pio who the reporter knew   meh  not smart but unless she was an amazon raging  i'm not real worked up
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Berkeley Police Chief - "I Could Have Done Better"
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 12:15:12 PM »
If a more detailed story shows that the police called first and the reporter said, "sure, come on over", it would be a non-story to me. Otherwise, and maybe it's because I'm not a big night-life guy, if my doorbell rings at 1230AM, I'm going into self-defense mode.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

• friends
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 12:17:31 PM »
calling woulda been both wise and polite
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 12:38:05 PM »
calling woulda been both wise and polite

And folks wonder why some of us use the term JBT.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

• friends
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 01:24:17 PM »
some folks would say jbt is overused by the overly sensitive amongst others

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 01:56:46 PM »
And I am sure the PIO was thrilled to be rousted out of bed at this hour for this sort of mission. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

• friends
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 02:05:40 PM »
yup
wonder if she even had her boots on . our pio goes undercover a lot

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 02:33:56 PM »
Meehan said he didn't think Oakley would be upset or intimidated because the police sergeant, Mary Kusmiss, regularly deals with the media.

"I did not mean to upset [Oakley] or his family last night; it was late, (I was) tired, too," he said. "I don't dispute that it could be perceived badly."
This leads me to believe there was no phone call, just general stupidity. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 03:11:50 PM »
Press should start knocking on his door at that time to request an interview . . . cameras rolling, of course.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2012, 03:27:54 PM »
And I am sure the PIO was thrilled to be rousted out of bed at this hour for this sort of mission. 

Yea, short of something on fire or other emergency, I'm not knocking on someone's door at a quarter to 1 in the morning unless I am very much expected.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2012, 03:48:02 PM »
Press should start knocking on his door at that time to request an interview . . . cameras rolling, of course.

Snort! I have always been a strong proponent of reciprocity!
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2012, 04:51:34 PM »
Snort! I have always been a strong proponent of reciprocity!

Would that be........national reciprocity?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2012, 03:48:15 PM »
Would that be........national reciprocity?

It is a dream that I have......

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2012, 07:07:42 PM »
some folks would say jbt is overused by the overly sensitive amongst others

Really?  Oversensitive? How is this not a jbt moment?  Just to reiterate, a police chief sent an officer to a reporters house at 1245 in the morning to discuss things he thought were "inaccurate" in an article.  In case you aren't aware of this, csd, if a reporter wrote something wrong and the chief could prove it he could have asked for a retraction by the paper.  If he thought it was wrong but had no proof he could have written a rebuttal or a press release or even a letter to the editor.  Sending a cop at 1245 in the morning is nothing but intimidation.  And the idiot who agreed to go over there at that time in the morning for that errand should have said "hell no" when told to do that and then told the chief exactly how that would appear.  The PIO obviously isn't very good at his or her job.

How would you like it if you bitched about a police chief on this forum and that chief sent an officer to your house at 1245 AM to talk about what was inaccurate in what you wrote? 

• friends
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2012, 07:38:15 PM »
like i said

overly sensitive
or scared
that time of the morning? i don't answer my door. its not locked and if you are friend you know you can come in.
sorry the cops don't scare me. you can tell em go away or just not answer just like anyone else

unless  http://www.lyricsfreak.com/g/grateful+dead/truckin_20062376.html

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2012, 08:04:38 PM »
over sensitive? - No.  There is a right way and a wrong way to do things.  This is the wrong way.  Sorry you don't understand that.  Especially considering that this is a public servant.  The taxpayers deserve better than this.

scared - Who cares if the reporter was scared or not, it never should have happened that way.

Who cares if you aren't scared by the cops, that isn't germane to what happened.

Not only did the PIO do a sh*tty job of not keeping the police chief out of trouble, the chief f'ed up too. "I could have done better"  should have been "I had a little too much to drink that night and did something I regret".  I'd much rather have a police chief who has a drinking problem than one who is stupid. 

HankB

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2012, 01:10:56 PM »
  . . . Not only did the PIO do a sh*tty job of not keeping the police chief out of trouble, the chief f'ed up too.  . . .
Maybe the PIO didn't like getting his own sleep interrupted to go roust the reporter in the middle of the night, so he figured "OK, I'll do this . . . but everyone will know it was YOU who sent me out on this errand."
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

• friends
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2012, 02:21:09 PM »
Maybe the PIO didn't like getting his own sleep interrupted to go roust the reporter in the middle of the night, so he figured "OK, I'll do this . . . but everyone will know it was YOU who sent me out on this errand."

could be

could be a case where chief read it at more reasonable hour but by the time pio got ready and got there it was way too late. i'd like to see what the article looked like before and afterthe changes the reporter made

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2012, 07:27:26 AM »
Knocking on people's doors past midnight for anything other than emergencies is unacceptable. That's just common sense. It makes you wonder in what-the-hell kind of culture are police being brought up in.

"I could have done better": there was nothing fundamentally wrong with what he did, it just wasn't his best?  ;/

What ever happened to an honest "I did bad, I am sorry"?

"I could have done better" reflects an inability to admit wrongdoing or guilt... that seems to be going around a lot lately, specially amongst (but not limited to) those that hold positions of power.[barf]

"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2012, 08:07:52 AM »
On the extremely rare occasions that someone has come to my door in the wee hours of the morning the visitor is greeted by an armed home owner with the wife prepared to dial 911.
I wonder how that reaction would have been handled by the JBPIO?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2012, 12:48:09 PM »
the chief could do better, by resigning.

“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.