Author Topic: CA: %12 of the population, 1/3 of all welfare recipients  (Read 3527 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
CA: %12 of the population, 1/3 of all welfare recipients
« on: March 14, 2012, 12:43:48 PM »
online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304537904577277242682364690.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

It'll be interesting to see what happens when the state defaults...
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

longeyes

• friend
Re: CA: %12 of the population, 1/3 of all welfare recipients
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 01:32:53 PM »
If Obama gets a second term, you can expect this preponderantly Democratic state to be subsidized.  Meanwhile, they will play footsy with the books and try to raise every tax and fee in sight.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 02:59:53 PM »
Bah, thanks fisty. Links get jacked up when I post from the ole phone.

If Obama gets a second term, you can expect this preponderantly Democratic state to be subsidized.  Meanwhile, they will play footsy with the books and try to raise every tax and fee in sight.

I'd be surprised if either side would do differently.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 04:24:27 PM »

Ahnald was not a very impressive governor from what I saw.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 07:11:59 PM »

It requires more than a governor, you also need legiscritters that are willing to do what's right.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 06:22:36 AM »
Ahnald the actor was not nearly as conservative as many of the characters he played - and remember, he married into the extended Kennedy clan. [sarcasm](Although to his credit, he did cheat . . . ) [/sarcasm]

A CA bailout would require some sort of funding through Congress, and many GOP senators and reps would not be very eager to send THEIR constituent's money to CA. (Probably more than a few Dems would be reluctant, too.)

To aid after a big earthquake, sure . . . but to aid after big spending? Nope.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

brimic

• friends
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 07:45:53 AM »
A CA bailout would require some sort of funding through Congress, and many GOP senators and reps would not be very eager to send THEIR constituent's money to CA. (Probably more than a few Dems would be reluctant, too.)

We bail out Greece, we'll bail out our own Greece as well. :mad:
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 07:52:11 AM »
Did we bail out Greece? ???
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 08:41:22 AM »
Hmmm . . . didn't one of Obama's minions recently assert that handouts are good for the economy?

Maybe what Kalifornia needs is more people getting handouts. I suggest we all lobby our legislators to encourage - vigorously! - the wholesale relocation of our own welfare class to the Golden State to give their economy a much needed shot in the arm.

It will be hard, but I'm willing to make the sacrifice . . . I'm even willing to throw in some illegal aliens as a bonus; kick the percentage up a little, and places like LA won't even have to keep printing street signs and ballots in English any more.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2012, 10:49:11 AM »
It requires more than a governor, you also need legiscritters that are willing to do what's right.

This.

Which is why CA is getting to be a lost cause. I didn't vote for Arnold, I voted for McClintock. Nevertheless, I have to give Arnold credit for at least giving it a good try budget-wise his first year in office. He was simply overwhelmed by a ridiculous majority of progressives in the state legislature. After he gave up his budget fight, he simply became another Democrat, because that's where he was all along on social issues.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2012, 11:42:31 AM »
I didn't vote for Arnold, I voted for McClintock.

Great minds think alike.  =)

We're getting money from somewhere.
We went from "ZOMG, we're broke!!! Close the libraries! Lay off all the police & fire fighters unless we raise taxes to 98%!!!" to "Oops, it's not as bad as we thought. Let's hire back everybody we laid off and go back to work on our roads."
Perhaps CA is "too big to fail".
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2012, 12:37:30 PM »
I was for McC. too, but McC. is rara avis in a state like this.  A true conservative here?  Downright unnatural.

California is owned by the public sector unions and the Aztlan lobbyists in Sacramento.  There's no mystery about what's happened in the last 25 years.  I was here and watched the whole thing unfold.  No one in power will hear of real roll-backs on anything; too many hands out. The education octopus, in league with the unions, continues to expand and devour even as the schools decline.  Six-figure pensions are exploding but no one has the will to say the hard no.  They'd rather talk about higher taxes and high-speed rail to nowhere, about a green California with 50 million people (and, uh-oh, no water).  It's madness, a preview of what can happen nationally unless we begin to stop the insanity.  Everyone who can is leaving.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2012, 01:54:08 PM »
Did we bail out Greece?
Yes, but indirectly through the IMF.
The EU/Eurozone gets credit for bailing out Greece as well, but they are also backed by US taxpayer greenbacks.
If it wasn't for the US taxpayer, all of Europe would have fallen already under the weight of their welfare states.*

What's that sucking sound?

*Taken to its logical conclusion, one could argue that China is financing the bailuot of the Eurozone welfare states.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 02:05:42 PM by brimic »
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama