Author Topic: Obama should fire advisers over gas prices: Romney  (Read 5956 times)

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
Obama should fire advisers over gas prices: Romney
« on: March 18, 2012, 04:08:28 PM »
http://news.yahoo.com/obama-fire-advisers-over-gas-prices-romney-163718487.html

Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney on Sunday called for President Barack Obama to fire three top administration officials as he sought to harness voter anger over rising gas prices ahead of nominating contests in Puerto Rico and Illinois.

Mitt needs to STFU. The POTUS alone does not control gasoline pump prices.

These things do:

The international oil supply
The international oil demand
Natural disasters
Weather (heating oil consumption)
Natural Gas (production, transmission, distribution, pricing)
Governmental regulation (additives, taxes, leases, etc)
Commodity traders (users) bidding on future delivery contracts
Commodity traders (speculators) betting on future crude prices

Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

birdman

• friend
Re: Obama should fire advisers over gas prices: Romney
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 05:12:15 PM »

These things do:

The international oil supply
The international oil demand
Natural disasters
Weather (heating oil consumption)
Natural Gas (production, transmission, distribution, pricing)
Governmental regulation (additives, taxes, leases, etc)
Commodity traders (users) bidding on future delivery contracts
Commodity traders (speculators) betting on future crude prices

Corrected.  The Balkanization of gasoline is due partly to rules (specifically NOT regulation), and the domestic production of both oil and gas is pretty reliant on permitting by both Interior and EPA.  Last I checked, the EPA and Interior were executive branch controlled.

As for "speculation"--commodity futures serve an important role in price stabilization, and "betting" the price will go up, is a safe bet, as that would mean demand continues to outstrip supply--(see domestic permitting above).  Without commodity futures to soften price factors, it would be extremely difficult to price any product appropriately, as costs could shift abruptly.  And the likely result would be conservative (ie higher) product prices to accommodate sharp moves.

As for heating oil, that pretty much shows one of the more common misconceptions.  Heating oil and other heavier fractions have little effect on gasoline prices...the dominant fractionation effect is the increased demand of gasoline, diesel and kerosene during the summer months due to increased travel and shipping.  It is very nonacost effective to produce the lighter hydrocarbons from the heavier, when lighter sweeter crude is available (which is why in the summer, light sweet peaks, but in the winter, the heavier crudes have increased demand).

As for natural gas affecting oil price, well other than the fact that the correlation is near zero (increasing gas production has bottomed gas prices, while oil has risen) due to their demands being effectively independent (oil is effectively not used for power generation, and gas is effectively not used as a transport fuel), if there WERE an effect, it would be negative--higher gas production would if anything, lower oil prices (and thus gasoline prices).

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 06:03:10 PM »

No, but he does have an effect.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 10:14:24 PM »
Corrected.  The Balkanization of gasoline is due partly to rules (specifically NOT regulation), and the domestic production of both oil and gas is pretty reliant on permitting by both Interior and EPA.  Last I checked, the EPA and Interior were executive branch controlled.
As I understand it, EPA is mandating seasonal and regional blending of gasoline; I've heard claims on various TV shows that this mess adds up to fifty cents a gallon to the cost, as well as having the potential to disrupt the supply.

And then there's the requirement (paid for by ethanol lobbyists) to dilute gas with ". . . up to 10% ethanol . . . " which also increases the price of food as well as gasoline, while decreasing fuel economy.

Obama's recent veto of the pipeline, his longstanding opposition to drilling in ANWR, and closure of many offshore drilling sites all drive speculators to drive up the cost of oil.

POTUS is not responsible for all the price increases we've seen, but he certainly has had some influence on prices - and not in a good way.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 10:44:38 PM »
King Dollar Will Cut Oil Prices   By Larry Kudlow

A stronger dollar is key. The Joint Economic Committee just put out a study showing that a 10 to 15 percent appreciation of the greenback to pre-recession levels (before the Fed launched its massive dollar-creation, pump-priming campaign) would lower gasoline prices by 43 cents. So if the Treasury and the Federal Reserve strengthened the value of the dollar, oil and gasoline prices would decline.

It's an excellent idea. The best one out there. A return to King Dollar would boost consumer real incomes, attract capital from all over the world and grow the economy at a faster rate.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2012/03/17/king_dollar_will_cut_oil_prices_113516.html
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 08:51:24 AM »
Amazing how only 4 years ago high fuel prices were due to Bush/Cheney/Halliburton getting rich on the backs of the working poor.

I may be out to lunch but I have a vague memory of Obama making a statement that he thought $5.00 a gallon gas was a good price for it.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 09:26:26 AM »
From what I have heard indirectly, Obama's interior department head has been working hard to add new permit rules and requirements, multiple enviro impact studies, etc, etc. for off shore drilling ever since he got in there.  I have also heard they are playing whatever games they can with permits to delay them and increase costs and time and effort to get permits. 

This all makes it very difficult to plan ahead and adds a lot of uncertainty in future drilling/production. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 09:52:12 AM »
It's all rampant speculation....

http://www.businessweek.com/investor/content/apr2011/pi20110419_786652.htm
Excellent article - thank you.

I have noticed in the last couple of years that there is less elasticity between crude prices and pump prices.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

birdman

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 10:51:59 AM »
Speculators wouldn't buy oil futures (demand for oil futures drives up their price, and since commodity usage is driven by replacement rather than purchase price, this drives up current prices) if there wasn't a trend toward higher prices to follow.  One buys futures if one thinks the price will increase (thereby locking in a delivery price and enabling a profit on the futures contract if the price increases, after which either the commodity or the contract can be sold).  The trend is seen in this case as inexorable due to bth the fed policy, (enabled by the treasury policies) and rising demand with lower supply increases seen IN THE FUTURE.  Since oil contracts can and are long term priced, increasing FUTURE production or even increasing the probability of future production through increased permitting, drilling, etc decreases the potential price increases, and results in lower demand for high (current price) futures.  The net effect is a reduction in replacement cost, and a reduction in current product prices.   This multi-level linkage is hinted at in that article (why monetary policy has an effect, as if then year dollars are worth less due to higher liquidity and base money, current dollar lock-in on a contract is easy profit from a hedge perspective) but rarely addressed in popular "blame someone" media.

Does "speculation" have an effect, of course, I say that directly, however, it's a very useful tool (for actual product users and sellers) to mitigate fluctuations, and as its based on PREDICTIONS of supply/demand/international politics and monEtary policy, it is easily influenced by the cabinet departments, which was my whole point.

Making a profit off "betting" that a commodity price will go up is not the cause...it is the effect.  If, hypothetically, a new "Saudi level" oil resource was discovered, futures prices (and current product prices) would IMMEDIATELY drop, even if the actual supply impact were years away, simply because it would depress the demand for higher priced long term options, as it is likely the future supply/demand ratio would be increased,myielding a lower point.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 07:56:36 PM »
Amazing how only 4 years ago high fuel prices were due to Bush/Cheney/Halliburton getting rich on the backs of the working poor.

Yeah, the Democrats told us for 8 years that it was all Bush's fault.  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2012, 08:20:50 AM »
I have no doubt that the speculators looking at the slow pace at which the Obama administration is moving on opening up new sources of energy is helping to jack up current energy costs. Ultimately though it is the inflationary money policy of the Fed that is causing the high energy costs. Gas doesn't cost more, our money has just been devalued that much. It may sound like semantics but it is not, there is a critical difference between the two views.

Do you know why oil and prices are moving sharply higher? Some blame the oil companies, charging they are manipulating prices. Others cite U.S. sanctions on Iran and the threat of a military encounter that would disrupt the flow of oil from the Middle East.

Speculators, too are blamed for ostensibly bidding up the price of oil. In the political arena, President Obama is taking credit for increased domestic oil production even as his critics point out the slow pace of drilling permits issued by his Administration soon will hamper additional increases in the U.S. oil production.

Yet, the basic reason for higher energy prices is being overlooked, even though it is right before our eyes: Oil prices are up because the value of the dollar is down.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/charleskadlec/2012/03/19/the-rising-price-of-the-falling-dollar/
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 08:24:07 AM by Ron »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2012, 08:37:37 AM »
All kinds of factors lead to higher gas prices.  Weak dollar, speculation, weather, peak oil <snicker>,  lack of development of US oil reserves, ad nausem, et al, etc.

The bottom line reality of the matter is you cannot have global government and an energy independent US.  They simply can not coexist.  One has to lose and right now an energy independent is losing. 

I fully expect Obama to take it in the shorts with increasing energy prices.  It will take time for the Stupid Party to make hay out of the situation but it is moving along nicely for now.  Why even Obama's energy czar has backed off his stated desire for the US to have $8 to $10 / gallon gas.  The fact of the matter is the US economy seizes up when gas approaches $5 / gallon. 
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2012, 09:22:58 AM »
Gas doesn't cost more, our money has just been devalued that much.

To illustrate in more solid terms, in 1975, a gallon of gas cost about .00265 oz of gold.  Right now, it costs .002213 oz at local prices.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2012, 09:37:10 AM »
To illustrate in more solid terms, in 1975, a gallon of gas cost about .00265 oz of gold.  Right now, it costs .002213 oz at local prices.

I wonder what the numbers are in terms of hours of skilled labor.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2012, 10:23:19 AM »
Romney thinks this is all about bad advice??? ???
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2012, 10:53:05 AM »
Of course he does.

Does Romney strike you as someone philosophically different from Obama?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2012, 11:04:31 AM »
Of course he does.

And I find myself completely in agreement with Micro here.

I'm unable to force myself to vote for this "lesser of two evils."
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2012, 11:25:05 AM »
And I find myself completely in agreement with Micro here.

I'm unable to force myself to vote for this "lesser of two evils."

Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2012, 11:39:25 AM »
Of course he does.

To put it in a word:  YES.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2012, 11:43:45 AM »
To put it in a word:  YES.

Would you put it in a few more words?....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2012, 11:52:16 AM »
How many words do you want?  [popcorn]

In an ideal world, we'd have an ideal candidate to put in office and eliminate Obama.

Wait.

In an "ideal world" there would be no Obama.

Romney isn't a second coming of Ronaldus Maximus Reagan, but he is a better candidate than Obama.  Romney has run businesses and has that going for him.  What has Obama done....even a lemonade stand as a kid?
Dislike Romney all you want.  I'm not here to sell you guys anything but it would be nice if you disliked him, if it would be for something that was actually true.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2012, 12:00:18 PM »
I wonder what the numbers are in terms of hours of skilled labor.

If I look at the prices/wages since I graduated from HS in 1972, then "minimum wage" should be about $16.00/hr right now :(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2012, 12:06:29 PM »
How many words do you want?  [popcorn]

In an ideal world, we'd have an ideal candidate to put in office and eliminate Obama.

Wait.

In an "ideal world" there would be no Obama.

Romney isn't a second coming of Ronaldus Maximus Reagan, but he is a better candidate than Obama.  Romney has run businesses and has that going for him.  What has Obama done....even a lemonade stand as a kid?
Dislike Romney all you want.  I'm not here to sell you guys anything but it would be nice if you disliked him, if it would be for something that was actually true.

Warren Buffett has been far more successful than Romney in much the same industry.

I won't vote for him, either.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2012, 12:22:43 PM »
I couldn't care less that you wouldn't vote for Buffet ......

As long as you won't vote for Obama! >:D