Author Topic: Obama should fire advisers over gas prices: Romney  (Read 5958 times)

birdman

• friend
Re: Obama should fire advisers over gas prices: Romney
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2012, 12:39:38 PM »
If I look at the prices/wages since I graduated from HS in 1972, then "minimum wage" should be about $16.00/hr right now :(

Minimum wage is one of the more significant causes of unemployment and poverty.  Before minimum wage laws there was effectively no structural unemployment.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2012, 01:15:39 PM »
I'll say it again: Romney, manifest warts and all, buys us time and gives us some wiggle room while we figure how to stop the juggernaut and turn it around.   A second Obama term guarantees, in my view, the most tumultuous social and political environment conceivable.  Unfortunately, either way the nation is plausibly ungovernable.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2012, 02:01:10 PM »
Minimum wage is one of the more significant causes of unemployment and poverty.  Before minimum wage laws there was effectively no structural unemployment.

I'm not promoting the minimum wage  :facepalm:

I'm simply stating that the mininum wage 40 years ago had a lot more buying power than the minimum wage now.

Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

birdman

• friend
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2012, 05:32:54 PM »
I'm not promoting the minimum wage  :facepalm:

I'm simply stating that the mininum wage 40 years ago had a lot more buying power than the minimum wage now.

I figured as much, but couldn't determine if that was meant as evidence to support a conclusion that there is major inflation, that the min. Wage should be increased, or what.

Sorry.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2012, 10:54:21 PM »
I'll say it again: Romney, manifest warts and all, buys us time and gives us some wiggle room while we figure how to stop the juggernaut and turn it around.   A second Obama term guarantees, in my view, the most tumultuous social and political environment conceivable.  Unfortunately, either way the nation is plausibly ungovernable.

Buys time for what?.....changing the name back to RomneyCare?.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2012, 11:03:30 PM »
I may be out to lunch but I have a vague memory of Obama making a statement that he thought $5.00 a gallon gas was a good price for it.

He and his ilk would love it if gas was $10 a gallon.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2012, 08:01:11 PM »
Buys time for what?.....changing the name back to RomneyCare?.....

To see if there's any chance of avoiding a terminal separation.

Look, we can hit the wall in November or we can hit it a bit later.  You may be prepared; not everyone is from what I see.  I went to a Tea Party meeting last where a video detailing what we are dealing with was shown ("Agenda," by Curtis Bowers).  At the end people were asked what we could do about the grim scenario.  The answer: Prayer.
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2012, 09:36:01 PM »
I'll say it again: Romney, manifest warts and all, buys us time and gives us some wiggle room while we figure how to stop the juggernaut and turn it around.

We already know it. It is a question of will.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2012, 01:13:40 AM »
Yes, will it is.  Will and clarity.  And how much of either is there at this point?  The GOP is largely missing in action, perhaps complicit, and I think many of us feel left out of the game. 
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.