Author Topic: Oooh! Oooh! Another gem of a letter to the editor  (Read 2434 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Oooh! Oooh! Another gem of a letter to the editor
« on: March 23, 2012, 11:41:05 PM »
The Milwaukee Journal is such an excellent source of misguided liberal thought that I'm amazed it's not owned by the DNC. There's Democrats here in AL, but they have to wear black rectangles over their eyes.

This guy is definitely reading the DNC talking points. That or he had one too many acid trips.

Can't blame Obama for rise in gas prices

The Republicans have this long-standing symbiotic relationship. The politicians live off the campaign contributions from Big Oil and the oil companies hide behind the protective shield that the Republicans provide them.

And what happens to the taxpayers? Our - and I use the term "our" rather loosely - politicians provide the oil companies with billions of dollars in subsidies that come out of the taxpayers' pockets. While this goes on, Big Oil gouges the taxpayers a second time when they pull up to the pump. Big Oil gets us coming and going.

Bearing this in mind, how can anyone blame the rise in the cost of gas on President Barack Obama? He isn't a CEO of Exxon, nor is he a member of the House of Representatives - those folks who control the country's purse strings. Blaming the president for the high cost of gas makes as much sense as blaming the victim instead of the mugger.

There is some irony to be found here. The GOP said "drill, baby, drill," and Obama did and continues to do so, far outpacing the Bush administration in this area. It has contributed little if anything to the reduction of prices at the pump. Who sets the price?

Peter Dahlke
Wauwatosa

Talking points:
1. Use term "Big Oil" whenever possible
2. Say Republicans get money from Big Oil
3. Say that oil companies, not gas taxes, gouge the consumer
4. Say that there's more drilling under Obama.
5. Accuse Republicans and Big Oil for setting the price of gas and oil.
6. Blame Bush.
7. It's not Obama's fault. (No matter what the topic).

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: Oooh! Oooh! Another gem of a letter to the editor
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 12:14:35 AM »
..........Talking points:
1. Use term "Big Oil" whenever possible
2. Say Republicans get money from Big Oil
3. Say that oil companies, not gas taxes, gouge the consumer
4. Say that there's more drilling under Obama.¹
5. Accuse Republicans and Big Oil for setting the price of gas and oil.²
6. Blame Bush.³
7. It's not Obama's fault. (No matter what the topic).

¹ To the extent there is, it's because Bush signed on for it, but, primarily because it's being done on private or state owned land where Obama doesn't have a say.
²  There's a lot of evidence that the price of oil is largely governed by international market forces.  These forces may greatly overshadow any effect Obama has on the price at the pump, but if so it stands to reason they are also equally beyond the control of the republicans, who only make up about ¼ of kongress.  What Obama has done has if anything stifled oil production and contributed to the higher prices.  Obama may not be the strongest reason for the high price, but he's definantly NOT making anything cheaper. 
There is also evidence that the president can lower prices.  Bush directed some of the strategic national reserve be released into the market.  The amount released was a piddling amount but the effect on prices was pretty impressive -- they went DOWN.  Decent proof that psychology also plays a strong roll.
³  Par for the course!  It's actually Franklin Delano Roosevelt's fault!!!!!! >:D  Boy am I ever getting sick of this.  I may have voted for Dubya twice but I wasn't really any great fan; he was simply the lesser evil.  But really, this is getting old.   
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 08:09:23 AM »
Isn't Obama one of "our" politicians?.......
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 11:15:18 AM »
I'll grant you that presidents don't usually have a direct effect on the economy, or on oil prices. In Obama's case, he's done enough--banning deep-water drilling in the gulf after the BP leak, nixing the pipeline, issuing drilling permits but restraining new drilling--that the net effect has been to drive futures prices up.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 11:38:03 AM »
I'll grant you that presidents don't usually have a direct effect on the economy, or on oil prices. In Obama's case, he's done enough--banning deep-water drilling in the gulf after the BP leak, nixing the pipeline, issuing drilling permits but restraining new drilling--that the net effect has been to drive futures prices up.

I don't doubt that at all.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 10:40:07 PM »
Were I POTUS, I'd bet I could kick about $1.25 off of gas prices within a month simply by mandating the EPA through EO that they only mandate the refineries produce 12 varieties of gas, instead of the 30-odd varieties and blends they do not.

Regular
Mid-grade
Premium

That's three.

City air-pollution blend. (it's BS. But I'll run with it just so I don't get too much resistance slowing down implementation...)
Rural straight blend.

That's six.

Winter blend
Summer blend.

That's twelve blends.

My understanding is that there's roughly three times more blends than the twelve I've outlined here. Combined with refineries running at something like 99% capacity at all times. And JIT delivery for all the various blends around the country, and that we've finally broken ground on the first new refinery in like 30 years, and it won't be done and cracking gas for a few more... This makes for A HUGE logistical and market bottleneck. And one kablewy in any of the running refineries and pump prices can shoot up drastically.

This would aleviate pressure on the refineries and the distribution system. And maybe even allow the gas market build up small surpluses now and again, and/or a buffer against accidents and disasters.

Or... God forbid.. just let the oil companies produce gas and serve their markets as they see fit...  =|
I promise not to duck.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 11:52:50 PM »
I seem to remember it being pointed out a decade ago that the Gore family had a lot of money in "Big Oil".  Some of these idiots might be surprised how many Democrats have money in "Big Oil" or Big whatever industry and how many get contributions from them.  Of course, they would probably deny it as Republican lies.  Those types will believe the smallest rumor about Repubs, but deny solid facts about Democrats.

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

birdman

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2012, 08:27:45 AM »
I seem to remember it being pointed out a decade ago that the Gore family had a lot of money in "Big Oil".  Some of these idiots might be surprised how many Democrats have money in "Big Oil" or Big whatever industry and how many get contributions from them.  Of course, they would probably deny it as Republican lies.  Those types will believe the smallest rumor about Repubs, but deny solid facts about Democrats.

You know who else does?  Literally everybody....of course most people are too dim to realize "index fund", sp500 index fund" or "large cap growth/value" likely include a LOT of those profitable big oil companies.

I once heard a friend, IN THE SAME BREATH, simultaneously be happy about his 401(k) performance AND deride oil companies for "excessive" profits.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2012, 09:12:31 AM »
You know who else does?  Literally everybody....of course most people are too dim to realize "index fund", sp500 index fund" or "large cap growth/value" likely include a LOT of those profitable big oil companies.

I once heard a friend, IN THE SAME BREATH, simultaneously be happy about his 401(k) performance AND deride oil companies for "excessive" profits.

Oh please tell me you pointed out the folly of their ways.....
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

birdman

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2012, 09:52:34 AM »
Oh please tell me you pointed out the folly of their ways.....

Extensively.   

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2012, 01:47:56 PM »

No doubt, but I was thinking more about families that own direct stock or sit on boards as well as taking direct contributions.  All those big companies play both sides.  They can't afford not to. 

Look at the example of Microsoft in the 90's.  Supposedly, they stayed out of politics and then the Clinton Administration decided to make noise about anti-trust and tanked their stock caused them trouble for a while.  A lot of companies couldn't afford to put up with that sort of interference.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge