Author Topic: Mayor Bloomberg insults out-of-work attorneys  (Read 5077 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Mayor Bloomberg insults out-of-work attorneys
« on: March 25, 2012, 09:49:58 AM »
http://www.capitalnewyork.com/article/politics/2012/03/5537299/bloomberg-counsel-seeks-out-work-attorneys-research-trayvon-martin-

"Mayors Against Illegal Guns, the gun-control group co-chaired by Mayor Bloomberg, is looking for out-of-work lawyers to research doctrine related to the Trayvon Martin case.

Laurin Grollman, the mayor's senior counsel for firearms policy, sent out the following email, forwarded by a reader:

Looking for lawyers who are out of work who might want to do paid work for mayors against illegal guns (www.mayorsagainstillegalguns.org) for the next few days/week or so, starting ASAP (today if possible, and working over the weekend if possible). $20/hour. Work is doing a 50-state survey of castle doctrine expansion laws, in light of Trayvon Martin shooting. Interesting and timely stuff, but somewhat complicated.

Laurin Grollman

Senior Counsel for Firearms Policy

Office of the Mayor of New York City"

Now, THAT is a tightwad!

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Waitone

• friend
Re: Mayor Bloomberg insults out-of-work attorneys
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 10:23:51 AM »
Bloomberg is Soro's Mini-Me.  Too much money, spare time, and ego.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

birdman

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 10:30:40 AM »
What do castle doctrine and/or this shooting have to do with illegal guns?
Nothing. 

Hopefully this incident will further reveal that "illegal" isn't really what those groups mean...but rather "all"

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 02:06:13 PM »
Bloomie is just another rich POS who wants to impart his will upon the masses.

Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 04:33:12 AM »
Almost a full 24 hours and not a word from our staff of attorneys.

Either they are too busy playing golf and otherwise caught up in the social scene or they are too busy proving that they do in fact overcharge.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 04:38:56 AM »
De Selby probably has all of the traffic hogged.....
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 07:12:46 AM »
Almost a full 24 hours and not a word from our staff of attorneys.

Either they are too busy playing golf and otherwise caught up in the social scene or they are too busy proving that they do in fact overcharge.

stay safe.
Sorry. I was camping with my son's Scout Troop.  My cheapskate county pays court appointed attorneys $37.50 for out of court time,, and $45 and hour for in court time.  Yeah, he's cheap. I'm surprised he didn't try for law students.  $20 an hour  buys a lot of beer.

Funny, I don't see what this case has to do with the castle doctrine, but I'm hearing that there are pushes even here in Ohio to reconsider the law in light of this shooting.  Maybe if they can't outlaw the guns, they can outlaw their use.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 08:58:46 AM »
I'm not seeing a problem with Bloomberg using $20/hour attorneys . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 09:32:34 AM »
And what gives King Bloomberg the authority to worry about State's laws?  He is the Mayor of a city. :facepalm:
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 09:36:26 AM »
And what gives King Bloomberg the authority to worry about State's laws?  He is the Mayor of a city. :facepalm:

Yea, I noticed NYC has a hard time minding their own business and often try to poke every surrounding state in the eye whenever possible.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2012, 10:21:26 AM »
Yea, I noticed NYC has a hard time minding their own business and often try to poke every surrounding state in the eye whenever possible.

What kills me is that so many conservatives think he is doing a fine job. I was watching the Fox business block this weekend where they were talking about some lame nanny state food law he wants to introduce, and though they were mostly against that particular law, they all had to mention what a great mayor he is and what fine things he's doing for NYC. I guess it's the same mentality that's getting Romney so many wins.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2012, 10:40:57 AM »
What kills me is that so many conservatives think he is doing a fine job.
Maybe they remember Dinkins . . . just like so many conservatives who like Scott Brown remember Chappquiddick Teddy.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2012, 01:21:18 PM »
So, he wants to hire folks who need work, and pay them 20 dollars an hour to do research similar to what college students PAY to do?

I disagree with his message, of course, but I really don't think there's anything wrong with hiring unemployed folks to do relatively easy work for 20 bucks an hour.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2012, 01:45:29 PM »
So, he wants to hire folks who need work, and pay them 20 dollars an hour to do research similar to what college students PAY to do?

I disagree with his message, of course, but I really don't think there's anything wrong with hiring unemployed folks to do relatively easy work for 20 bucks an hour.

You have no propblem with the Mayor of a city hiring people with tax payers dollars to interfere in the affiars of states?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2012, 01:47:30 PM »
That's his doggone constituents business. They voted him in, it's their fault if he wastes their money.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2012, 01:58:41 PM »
That's his doggone constituents business. They voted him in, it's their fault if he wastes their money.

Thanks to subsidies provided by the federal government, I'd consider NYC waste fraud and abuse to be all of our problems.
http://www.nyc.gov/html/ops/nycstim/html/home/home.shtml

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2010/0513/The-latest-New-York-security-scare-federal-grants

JD

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2012, 02:02:47 PM »
Thanks to subsidies provided by the federal government, I'd consider NYC waste fraud and abuse to be all of our problems.
http://www.nyc.gov/html/ops/nycstim/html/home/home.shtml

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2010/0513/The-latest-New-York-security-scare-federal-grants

Ding, ding, ding! Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2012, 09:50:12 AM »
Going rate for temp attorney work not directly involving litigation or any particularly specialty/experience is $19-34/hour.  NY is typically at the higher end due to cost of living.  Most temp work there is $25-34.  For non-profit temp work that could potentially look good on a resume (although guess that depends in this case who is looking at the resume) $20 is reasonable, even in NYC.

I made $21 on my last project, with some minimal benefits and cash retention bonuses upon reaching specific numbers of hours on a project or with the company, in lieu of paid time off.  It's a glutted market, and honest work that pays money is no insult.

Of course whether this is honest work is a matter of opinion...

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2012, 04:27:25 PM »
I think it should be noted that not too long ago NYC got slapped by a judge for having lawyers work free [the market is that bad]. 
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2012, 04:39:16 PM »
Of course whether this is honest work is a matter of opinion...

Out of work lawyers need to become 5th columnists then...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2012, 09:56:11 PM »

Out of work lawyers need to become 5th columnists then...

....or just fall into cement mixers....that should produce plenty of columns.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.