Author Topic: SYG, Wisconsin Edition, Now Playing  (Read 1306 times)

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
SYG, Wisconsin Edition, Now Playing
« on: March 27, 2012, 07:22:46 AM »
http://news.yahoo.com/wisconsin-shooting-puts-castle-law-under-scrutiny-021356052.html

MILWAUKEE (Reuters) - The decision by authorities not to charge a homeowner who shot dead an unarmed black man in a small Wisconsin town three weeks ago has drawn scrutiny to the state's new "castle doctrine" law and comparisons to the Trayvon Martin shooting in Florida.

Authorities ruled the killing of Bo Morrison, 20, by a Slinger, Wisconsin, homeowner on his porch justifiable in possibly the first such case under an expanded castle doctrine law enacted late last year, prosecutors said.

Shooting took place about 2 weeks ago.
Homeowner calls 911 about loud party next door.
At least 20 kids were drinking at the party.
After party breaks up, homeowner hears noises on enclosed porch, and investigates armed with handgun.
Kid on front porch, Morrison, dressed in dark clothing, comes towards homeowner, who fires one shot.
Morrison is killed. Homeowner is exonerated in shooting.

Morrison's blood alcohol level was twice legal limit.  
He had previous run ins with local LE.
Mother said that he was 'hiding' due to fact of underage drinking tickets.
Mother advised that her son had been running with the wrong crowd for some time, but that he was 'not a criminal'.

About 150 people protested Sunday regarding Morrison's death.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Re: SYG, Wisconsin Edition, Now Playing
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 08:49:46 AM »
How do these nice young men keep getting into such dangerous situations?

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 09:10:45 AM »
How do these nice young men keep getting into such dangerous situations?

It's their density...... =D
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

brimic

• friends
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 09:15:34 AM »
They are protesting the wrong law (castle doctrine).
If the drinking age were still 18, a 20 year old wouldn't have to run and/or break into a house to hide from the police.

FWIW, there is very little sympathy for the deceased locally outside his immediate friends and family..
Apparantly he had gotten through a screen door and a locked porch door to get to his hiding spot.

The incident happened a couple of miles down the road from me- its in probably the most working class town in the most conservative county in the state.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 10:47:18 AM »
"He executed my son," Morrison said. "This cannot happen to another kid."

Unlike the previous case, this was possibly unlawful entry. Uhm. Perhaps your kid should have thought before breaking into someone else's curtilage, if not legally the residence.

A potential plus is, more folks might think twice before committing unlawful entry or burglary if they believe there is a reasonable chance they will die.
A potential negative is more bad press.

Personally, in the unlikely event I broke into someone's porch, I'd assume the prone position with arms and legs well spread out, or at least back up a bit and keep my hands to my sides, away from body. Politely apologize about the mistake and mention I will leave immediately. Moving towards the homeowner, especially at night?  Nope, doesn't matter if it's a quadriplegic, I'm not doing it.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 12:03:13 PM »
Unlike the previous case, this was possibly unlawful entry. Uhm. Perhaps your kid should have thought before breaking into someone else's curtilage, if not legally the residence.

A potential plus is, more folks might think twice before committing unlawful entry or burglary if they believe there is a reasonable chance they will die.
A potential negative is more bad press.

Personally, in the unlikely event I broke into someone's porch, I'd assume the prone position with arms and legs well spread out, or at least back up a bit and keep my hands to my sides, away from body. Politely apologize about the mistake and mention I will leave immediately. Moving towards the homeowner, especially at night?  Nope, doesn't matter if it's a quadriplegic, I'm not doing it.

Pursed lips ready to kiss some *expletive deleted*ss might also be helpful.....