Author Topic: Anybody looking for a deal on a used veyron, slight water damage.  (Read 2725 times)

GAGGER

Good afternoon everybody, long time lurker. I think in this situation I would rather hit the pelican. 

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091113/ap_on_fe_st/us_odd_lagoon_bugatti
Nov 12, 9:34 pm ET

LA MARQUE, Texas – A man blamed a low-flying pelican and a dropped cell phone for his veering his million-dollar sports car off a road and into a salt marsh near Galveston. The accident happened about 3 p.m. Wednesday on the frontage road of Interstate 45 northbound in La Marque, about 35 miles southeast of Houston.

The Lufkin, Texas, man told of driving his luxury, French-built Bugatti Veyron when the bird distracted him, said La Marque police Lt. Greg Gilchrist. The motorist dropped his cell phone, reached to pick it up and veered off the road and into the salt marsh. The car was half-submerged in the brine about 20 feet from the road when police arrived.

Gilchrist said he doesn't know if the car was salvageable, but in his words, "Salt water isn't good for anything." He says the man, whose identity hasn't been released, was not injured.

A 2006 Bugatti Veyron was recently offered for sale in Jonesboro, Ark., for $1.25 million.

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
Re: Anybody looking for a deal on a used veyron, slight water damage.
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 12:48:44 PM »
Now THAT'S a bad day.
One day at a time.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 01:25:38 PM »
You drive a 7 figure ride, and you can't pop for a $20 headset 'cause you just have to use your phone while driving your BUGATTI freaking VEYRON?

Money>Sense.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Stickjockey

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 10:50:10 PM »
[Insurance claims adjuster]

Swerved to miss pelican = driver lost control of vehicle, at-fault accident. Damage covered by Collision coverage + higher insurance rates.

(dumba-- lost control of vehicle while reaching for cell phone, same thing, BTW.)

Ironically:

Kept his line, hit pelican = collision with animal, not at-fault accident, covered by Comprehensive coverage. Possibly lower deductible (depends on how the policy was set up) and lower chance of increased rates (depends on claim history and other aspects)
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 12:55:57 AM »
Here's a fun video about the Veyron....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO0PgyPWE3o

Couple of salient points.  The tires.  A set of them costs $25,000....   Yes.  A SET OF TIRES COSTS MORE THAN A NICE SEDAN!   :O

Oh, and those tires?  At top speed, they'll only last 15 minutes.  (that top speed is 253 MPH)

But that's ok, because at top speed, the 26.4 gallon tank will be empty in 12 minutes.

Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Nightfall

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2009, 01:57:21 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO0PgyPWE3o
I won't lie. I got goosebumps. I wish my car had a special "go faster than hell" key, too.  =D
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2009, 09:01:12 AM »
I thought a fancy car like that would have a built-in speaker and mic and bluetooth interface.
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2009, 09:12:16 AM »
the plot thickens as some one randomly videoed the crash and there was no pelican

"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2009, 09:20:05 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32yyvmlGOdo

some "OH shittery" as the bug hits the drink
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2009, 09:27:32 AM »
I'm pretty sure that's a honda, dude.
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

ramis

• friend
  • Rawr!
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2009, 10:27:36 AM »
I'm pretty sure that's a honda, dude.

Looked like a Nissan GTR
The limerick, peculiar to English,
Is a verse form that's hard to extinguish,
Once congress, in session,
Decreed it's suppression,
But people got around it by writing the last line without any rhyme or meter.

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2009, 12:19:35 PM »
I won't lie. I got goosebumps. I wish my car had a special "go faster than hell" key, too.  =D

Me, too.
One day at a time.

InfidelSerf

• friend
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

GAGGER

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2009, 10:44:00 AM »
What pelican????

It sure looks like he just wasnt paying attention.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2009, 12:03:10 PM »
A man blamed a low-flying pelican and a dropped cell phone for his veering his million-dollar sports car off a road and into a salt marsh near Galveston.
If only EVERYONE who drove while messing with a cell phone would drive into a salt marsh.

This is my "feel good" story of the day.  =D
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain