Author Topic: Can you say "Birth Control??"  (Read 28189 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: Can you say "Birth Control??"
« Reply #125 on: September 08, 2009, 02:53:08 AM »
I have a bright idea. Maybe one of us should watch that show.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #126 on: September 08, 2009, 02:54:21 AM »

I don't have time. I'll have my son do it.  :)
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #127 on: September 08, 2009, 03:20:38 AM »
>It matters because once a person is a few years away from moving out, going to college, and starting a career; they need to starting learning how to live their lives for themselves, and not for their parents. <

And having a part-time job, or being in sports, or "involved in the arts", will do a better job of preparing someone for life than helping their younger siblings? Wow... what color is the sky in your world?

As far as "living lives for their parents", I've seen FAR more people involved in sports at their parents instance than I have kids being "indentured servants" and taking care of younger sibs. Odd thing: the ones taking care of younger sibs seem FAR better adjusted than Johnny Football Star...
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

jamz

• friend
  • bleem
« Reply #128 on: September 08, 2009, 12:20:00 PM »
I'm just waiting for this thread to take the inevitable veer into recipes.  Recipes or Werewolves.
Everybody loves Magical Trevor

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #129 on: September 08, 2009, 12:30:31 PM »
I find the idea that playing sports is more important (and better life prep) than occasionally babysitting to be terribly funny. The level of selfishness and baseless assumptions flying about in this thread is astonishing.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #130 on: September 08, 2009, 12:34:44 PM »
I volunteer you to do it.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #131 on: September 08, 2009, 02:40:41 PM »
I
have
watched
the
show.

They are a little on the exteme side of their religious beliefs for me, but they ain't hurtin' nobody. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #132 on: September 08, 2009, 02:52:39 PM »
Are the kids OK?  Are they being oppressed?

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #133 on: September 08, 2009, 03:02:47 PM »
Are the kids OK?  Are they being oppressed?

Aren't all well cared for children being oppressed?
 :angel:
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #134 on: September 08, 2009, 03:04:22 PM »
I
have
watched
the
show.

They are a little on the exteme side of their religious beliefs for me, but they ain't hurtin' nobody. 

I and Mrs. Dual have as well.

Definitely not the life for me, but they seem like genuinely happy and kind people. If you've ever ran into someone who was nice and helpful to the point it creeped you out, then realized they were the real deal, and the problem was you?

That's who they are.

My only real concern is other people who may decide to emulate the lifestyle, but do so with all their baggage brought along for the ride, and use it as a way to control and dominate their family. However, that would be just like using criminals to condemn all gun owners.

I believe that the reason the "Duggars" work so well is the Duggars themselves, not their faith or beliefs.
I promise not to duck.

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #135 on: September 08, 2009, 03:05:51 PM »

Yep.  Just ask them.  They'll tell you!  :) 
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #136 on: September 08, 2009, 04:09:10 PM »

My kids in their early teens thought it was abuse that I did not buy them an Xbox.  I offered them a quarter and a ride to the nearest pay phone so they could call Child Protective Services.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #137 on: September 08, 2009, 04:22:06 PM »
Wifey can't fathom why I'm kicking back against the idea of buying my son a handheld game console.  I don't want him buried in that thing everywhere we go...
JD

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #138 on: September 08, 2009, 05:09:45 PM »
I
have
watched
the
show.

Well then, I believe it settles that, unless someone here has better knowledge of the situation than Jamis.

Note I have never said the words "child abuse" to refer to this situation. I said it was possible - possible! - for it to go bad and that it wasn't the best way. If it works for these people, oh well, more power to them.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #139 on: September 08, 2009, 05:12:03 PM »
Well then, I believe it settles that, unless someone here has better knowledge of the situation than Jamis.

Note I have never said the words "child abuse" to refer to this situation. I said it was possible - possible! - for it to go bad and that it wasn't the best way. If it works for these people, oh well, more power to them.

IMHO it ain't no different than another family raising their 1.5 kids to believe that Furries are people.
 :laugh:
JD

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #140 on: September 08, 2009, 05:28:33 PM »
IMHO it ain't no different than another family raising their 1.5 kids to believe that Furries aren't people.
 :laugh:

FTFY.

Chris

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #141 on: September 08, 2009, 05:35:10 PM »
Note I have never said the words "child abuse" to refer to this situation.

I thought I already clarified that I was being facetious.  If not, let this serve as clarification.  I'm also glad you provided some second-hand anecdotal evidence to support your view of large families.  I don't think you, or anyone on that side of the argument, had before.  Or maybe I missed it. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #142 on: September 09, 2009, 03:50:15 PM »
now the time she followed me up a ladder to a third story roof on the other hand was scary. she had a good reason though  she needed me to take her to go potty

Now that elicited both a laugh and a thrill of fear, thinking about my 3YO daughter.  Both she & her 4YO brother are climbers of any and all objects and she still needs help with potty every once in a while.

Also, I did something similar to my grandpa.  I wanted to help and climbed up a ladder leading to our roof at 18-24MO.  He froze and our neighbor across the cornfield called my mom, who was at home, saying, "Your father in law is frozen in fear on top of the roof because your toddler is at the top rung of the ladder."

Wifey can't fathom why I'm kicking back against the idea of buying my son a handheld game console.  I don't want him buried in that thing everywhere we go...

Glad I'm not the only one who feels this way.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #143 on: September 09, 2009, 03:53:03 PM »
My kids can have the same hand held entertainment devices I used. They're called books.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #144 on: September 09, 2009, 04:00:26 PM »
Ahh.. Now I get it. Micro's perceptions are colored by the Haredim who riot over various minor things in his own A.O.

I just made the connection.

I promise not to duck.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #145 on: September 09, 2009, 04:58:50 PM »
not telling anyone how to raise theres since juries definitely out on whether i have a clue. but i got my lil heathen a dsi  she likes it but after the initial thrill shes balanced in her play. i think making them desire it above all things works kinda like sex and adolescent boys . makes em go hog wild.  for her its just one part of her play spectrum. it is rationed . if she stays on it too long i take it for a while
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #146 on: September 09, 2009, 08:55:26 PM »
not telling anyone how to raise theres since juries definitely out on whether i have a clue. but i got my lil heathen a dsi  she likes it but after the initial thrill shes balanced in her play. i think making them desire it above all things works kinda like sex and adolescent boys . makes em go hog wild.  for her its just one part of her play spectrum. it is rationed . if she stays on it too long i take it for a while

We did, too.  It is kind of nice on long car trips and she doesn't seem to overuse it.  Considering that I occasionally play video games, it isn't a surprise that I don't see them as problematic if done in moderation.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.